Question Of The Day, Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you had to moving, considering it from a strictly logistical standpoint, would you rather move

a) Across the street
b) Across the city
c) Across the country

and why?

Look, I'm a good packer. I have a method of packing that lets me find everything I packed without making a single list. I don't try to sort things before I move, I sort as I unpack, when the main pressure is off. Because of that, I'd really rather move across the country. Every single time I've moved a very short distance, whether down the block or across town, I've ended up hauling things in dribbles and drips, loading the car, unloading, doing it again, borrowing a pick-up truck and making several trips with furniture...I'd much, much pack it, load it all, unload it and unpack it in the new place, especially since I know which rooms the boxes go into, and what is in them (all without lists, remember?).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I agree with you on that, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . Stipulating, of course, that I have deliberately arranged my life so that I will never have to move again... We keep getting these shocking pink postcards from someone who wants to buy our house and emphasizes that he can make it very easy for us. :flail: Yeah, absolutely. A piece of cake. NOT!

Margret

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Having moved to another continent (more than once) and two blocks away, I'd much prefer the latter! That was the easiest move we ever made.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate moving. I actually have no preference but I understand what you are saying. My last move was a short distance but I did it the same way as a longer move. I hired Two Men and a Truck, boxed everything up and the two guys took everything out to the truck in one load and then carried everything in for me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Can I answer 50-50? I always yearned to move across the country but work and family prevented me from it. Lately I've been thinking about moving across the city since my friends, doctors and comfort level are here. Living near a major city provides most of my needs, i.e. shopping, transportation, culture, transportation, excellent hospital choices both for kitty and family should we need them, etc. With two grown kids, one on the east coast and another contemplating a move to the west coast I would be neutral staying smack dab where I am in the middle of the country. :wink:

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I would move across the country--moving across the street is barely a move at all! :lol2: I want to explore the rest of my country very badly.

Although I would also like to move continents, to another country.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never moved so this is purely theoretical... I would think that anything beyond walking distance would be the same amount of effort to pack and unload. Being closer would mean less time between packing and unloading plus you could break it into several trips depending on the timeline allotted to move out/in. Knowing me though, I would probably do one giant trip even if it was a short move just to get everything over there and make sure I didn't forget something.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Across the country. But really just to the neighboring state.
I have to pack just as much to across the street or to the other side of town (and frankly, I'm on the "good" side now so that wouldn't happen) and still would be in not quite my ideal town to live in.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have moved across town (many times) and finally across the state. All times were a pain. I hate moving.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We moved 10 times in our first 11 years of marriage. Next door, across town, and cross country. I'm glad we're not moving anymore, but if we HAD to move I'd move across the street because I don't want to leave our neighborhood. It's a great street, plus my parents are 3 doors down and my son's family is a block and a half away.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably across town. It's closer to the downtown area and the houses are bigger. But I really like where I'm living now. Plus I have everything - doctor, dentist, church, vet- that I'm all happy withm.

To bad the bf and I will most likely end up in a different suburb when we buy a house. Hope it's just not too far away.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't blame Lelia. That was my fingers on my phone. (Though I was playing da bird with the other hand :wink:) but it should be fixed now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate moving. I actually have no preference but I understand what you are saying. My last move was a short distance but I did it the same way as a longer move. I hired Two Men and a Truck, boxed everything up and the two guys took everything out to the truck in one load and then carried everything in for me.
That's what I would do now, but previously there were these two husbands (CONSECUTIVE, NOT CONCURRENT!) who said, "we don't need no stinkin' movers!" and made my life miserable moving in bits and pieces.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figure it out during my lifetime I have moved 5 times within this city the area that I'm in now is the safest part of the whole town anymore because you know how things get run down and gang activity and shootings and all of those terrible things. I'm now living in what they consider the Sunbelt in this part of California so the whole rest of the city can have overcast and I still have sunshine so I have no desire to move I did at one point live half an hour away for 14 years and commuting back and forth to work was a nightmare so I'm content I love my house I love how my kids have a front yard that's enclosed so they can run around out there and watch the world go by and I'm 7 minutes from work. In my old age if I can't drive I walk up 4 houses to the grocery store the pharmacy the pizza place the Mexican restaurant the laundromat Ace Hardware it's all within walking distance when I get really really bad the hospital's a few blocks in the other direction and my final resting place is the cemetery right just beyond the hospital so I think I'm set for the rest of my life!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will inherit my husband's folk's acreage when they pass, so that is across town. (Think how many cats I could keep safe there!) I have moved about twenty times in 40 years, we flipped houses before it was fashionable. It is really the same move whether across the street or across the country, maybe a little more packing material around valuables for a long trip. I live 70 miles south of where I was born, and am amazed on the climate difference during the winter, so much warmer. For our very last move we would like to move one state further south and see even more change. When I was young I always wanted to move where it was warm all year around, NO WAY NOW! I want the bugs and the weeds to die every year and get the break that winter brings, it is much welcome the older I get!