Question of the day Wednesday August 26

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poppycat was enjoying some supervised backyard time by one of the lilac bushes. I noticed the sun was shining on his tail and soon would be on his body, and he was sleeping and not paying attention.

I got one of our plastic chairs and placed it so that it shaded him :).

What are ways you go out of your way to accommodate your cat?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you count putting up with their (mainly Gracie) misbehavior, I don't. :lol: Now if this misbehavior continues when they (she) are older, we will have to sit down and discuss why their (her) behavior needs to improve. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When Ms. Pepe was younger, she loved to nap on top of the fridge. I bought a nice dog bed and plopped it up there, so she'd be comfortable while napping. We'd open the fridge door and see her peering down from the top of the fridge, "Oh hi! Watcha doin' in the fridge?" She was a character and we miss her.

Whisper's kittens were born in a plastic clothes basket. They loved that thing. For years, we kept that basket in the living room on its side; it got dilapidated with broken slats, but they kept using it. We had a nice pillow inside for them. Finally when they stopped using it, we were able to get rid of it. People would make fun of the clothes basket; it got to the point where it was really in bad shape. But we wouldn't think of ditching it. We replaced it with a large wicker basket and every cat we've ever had has napped in it. Tabby really loves it in the winter because it's warm from setting by the living room heating register.

Tabby and Amber have gotten used to having their lunch and snacks where they're at at the time. If they're in the bay window in the living room, that's where they expect to lunch to appear. They won't come out to the kitchen anymore. The other day, Tabby was in the bay window, when I hollered, "Lunch! C'mon girls!" She awakened and sat up, but she wouldn't move. She was waiting for me to deliver her lunch! And I did. Amber likes to nap under the rocking chair. She does the same thing; she'll sit up, but sit there waiting for her lunch. Why should she come out to the kitchen? Lunch will be delivered!

You can tell who rules the house....and it's not the humans.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie gets my bed. I'm lucky I have enough room to sleep on it too lol

WL (White Label)- wants to cuddle so much I actually have to pick her up and bring her to her food to get her to eat.

Mia - I have to give up the couch most days. She likes it. It gets her out of her safe room so I'm okay with that. She often will leave me enough room to sit with her.

BraveHeart - She will yell (and I do mean yell) at me until I sit down on the floor and allow her to climb on me and cuddle up. Chair - nope. Couch - nope. Floor. Always the floor.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from not being allowed in the closets or bathroom, Charlie and Selene practically have the run of the apartment. They won't touch their scratching post, so I let them tear up the couch because it's just a hand-me-down (once I get a new couch, that's going to change.) The space is so small that I really don't have room for large condos or tunnels or anything like that. I don't really want to restrict them further, you know?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I share the foot end of my recliner with Willow, with her getting most of it and my legs crammed to one side. And I try not to move too much because that freaks her out and sends her running.

I also usually wait until she is awake from her afternoon nap before pulling out the vacuum which sends her running to the basement.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share the foot end of my recliner with Willow, with her getting most of it and my legs crammed to one side. And I try not to move too much because that freaks her out and sends her running.

I also usually wait until she is awake from her afternoon nap before pulling out the vacuum which sends her running to the basement.
My kittens go running for the nearest drawer which is either the end table or coffee table. One day they won't be able to fit inside and will have to find a new place. What is strange is they are totally fine with the blender which I think makes just as much noise as the vacuum especially since I am normally making an iced drink so I'm grinding up ice.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens go running for the nearest drawer which is either the end table or coffee table. One day they won't be able to fit inside and will have to find a new place. What is strange is they are totally fine with the blender which I think makes just as much noise as the vacuum especially since I am normally making an iced drink so I'm grinding up ice.
I don’t get it either. Willow is perfectly fine with the hair dryer and the fan but turn on the Dyson, which is pretty quiet, and she’s out of there. Cats.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t get it either. Willow is perfectly fine with the hair dryer and the fan but turn on the Dyson, which is pretty quiet, and she’s out of there. Cats.
I let my hair air dry (shower at night and then go to bed) so no idea how'd they react to the hair dryer. Maybe the cats think the vacuum will come eat them. :lol: With our old cats, we had one runner and one brave one as long as you didn't vacuum too close to where she was.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
klunick klunick , all of my cats, including Willow, have just loved the hairdryer. I sit at the dining room table to dry my hair and Willow sits right behind me enjoying the heat blowing on her. And also like my former cats she gives out a meow of complaint when I turn the dryer off.

Last edited:

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a heating pad set up in my computer room under a bath map with towels to the side. Suki likes to knead the rug and sleep curled up on the towel. She also likes to sleep on the amplifier in hubbys' computer room. We are trying to think of warm places she can go this winter because we keep the house about 65 degrees in the daytime.
j

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stayed awake till after 3 this morning because just as I was going to bed Mooch wanted lap time. She’s better today but threw up her morning meds yesterday then only wanted to eat treats. She had been asleep in her chair instead of with me while I was reading. :catlove:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the weather permits, Michele likes to have the windows open, and the cats, of course, like to sit on the sills. I built secondary screens that fit in the tracks for the upper sashes so both can happen without any danger to the cats' safety.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flora and Maisie eat in the kitchen like I always intended, but Remy wants to eat in the dining room. I don't know how it started or how I even picked up that he wanted to eat in the dining room, but I've started feeding him in the dining room to accommodate him.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes Cal likes to nap at the top of the bed where I sleep. I'll move a pillow
down and rest on the lower part of the bed with our backs touching, she feels so soft.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi has all sorts of weird quirks. Like he will only drink water in a dish on the bathroom sink. He won't drink it anywhere else! It makes it hard if we have to put him in a room sometimes. He won't drink in there. So frustrating.

If we are in the bathroom when he needs a drink, he will actually knock on the bathroom door, even if there is a water dish right there on the floor near him!