Question Of The Day, Wednesday, August 22, 2018

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Morning Glory vines that have taken over the rock garden. I mean literally covered everything. That's bad enough; I can't imagine what kudzu must be like! I'm glad we have cold enough winters that it can't grow here. For now anyway. . .
I am sure you put a lot of time money and effort into making a beautiful scenic area. And then to just have it covered! I hope you can get rid of the vines.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish Marie Antoinette had spent a little more time caring for the poor people of France instead of building a play village for herself. I also wish she had urged her husband to do something about the national debt. (France was deeply in debt because of the help it gave to the American colonies in the American Revolution.) Both Marie and her husband were decent people and if they had taken a more active role in governing their country it might have prevented the French Revolution and they would have kept their heads. France could have had a constitutional monarchy like Britain.
But without the money, the U.S. may have lost the war and would be under British rule. And we would have voted on Brexit and be more screwed than we are now.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have convinced Jean Stapleton to not stop being Edith on "All in the Family" for another few seasons.
(Seriously, I respect her professional wishes, I understand why she did it, and consider her one of the worlds best actresses but....I loved her as Edith Bunker and always

will.)
Yeah that's probably not the deep answer people wanted but "Those were the days..."
I loved Jean Stapleton. I am sorry she is no longer with us.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Morning Glory vines that have taken over the rock garden. I mean literally covered everything. That's bad enough; I can't imagine what kudzu must be like! I'm glad we have cold enough winters that it can't grow here. For now anyway. . .
What kind of morning glory is it?

If it's that kind with the white and pink flowers about 2" across, you can get rid of it with glyphosate. But, be prepared for repeat treatments. We had it at my family's Ohio home and were able to eradicate it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of morning glory is it?

If it's that kind with the white and pink flowers about 2" across, you can get rid of it with glyphosate. But, be prepared for repeat treatments. We had it at my family's Ohio home and were able to eradicate it.
That's bindweed. . .which I actually really like and, yeah, it's not too hard to get rid of. Nah, I have real Morning Glories, big purple flowers, strong vines and everything, that the last owner planted (lol, when I bought the place the husband told me "I TOLD her not to plant that!"). I have lattices on the side of the house they're supposed to grow on, and they do, very successfully. But they also throw seeds everywhere. And I can Roundup in the rocks, and that works, although it leaves thick dead vines behind, but I can't spray on the bushes and trees. So all I can do there is pull them out, but the vines are strong and hearty, so it's a lot of work. And I like the Morning Glories and don't want to totally eradicate them. . .but they won't stay on the lattices like good little vines. Eh, just a minor annoyance. Not on the level of kudzu, that's for sure :D.

So while I know killing/changing Hitler's fate is a popular concept, I would not bother to do it. I think it is an incredibly moot thing.
Yeah, Hitler was actually one of the least evil among the higher-ranking Nazis. He was only chosen to be their public face because he was the most charismatic. It all would have happened without him; he wasn't all that important in the long run. It's possible that there would have been less public support for it without his charisma, but maybe not.

There are a lot of thought experiments about changing history. One theory posits that there already has been a "temporal war" and our current history was judged to be the least harmful. And of course the "butterfly effect" theory, in which if one thing changes, everything changes. So idk, I might be too scared to change anything even if I had the power to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's bindweed. . .which I actually really like and, yeah, it's not too hard to get rid of. Nah, I have real Morning Glories, big purple flowers, strong vines and everything, that the last owner planted (lol, when I bought the place the husband told me "I TOLD her not to plant that!"). I have lattices on the side of the house they're supposed to grow on, and they do, very successfully. But they also throw seeds everywhere. And I can Roundup in the rocks, and that works, although it leaves thick dead vines behind, but I can't spray on the bushes and trees. So all I can do there is pull them out, but the vines are strong and hearty, so it's a lot of work. And I like the Morning Glories and don't want to totally eradicate them. . .but they won't stay on the lattices like good little vines. Eh, just a minor annoyance. Not on the level of kudzu, that's for sure :D.
Oh, the Purple Japanese Morning Glories of Doom!

ITAI!

I didn't know they grew in SD! They're here, too. Tough things . . . . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@MeganLLB, I do appreciate your point of view, but this topic could eat the entire thread in a hurry. I do, however, wish that you would start a thread about this in the IMHO forum, and give it the time and detail that the question deserves!

Nothing like curried goat!
~BLINK BLINK~ I shall assume that you are referring to much loved pet goats who are groomed daily... That said, I've eaten goat. It wasn't baaaaaaaad

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@MeganLLB, I do appreciate your point of view, but this topic could eat the entire thread in a hurry. I do, however, wish that you would start a thread about this in the IMHO forum, and give it the time and detail that the question deserves!

~BLINK BLINK~ I shall assume that you are referring to much loved pet goats who are groomed daily... That said, I've eaten goat. It wasn't baaaaaaaad
The goats would be most constrained to dis-aaaaa-gree . . .

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
honestly, i wouldn't change a thing, not one thing. i believe that things, events happen for a reason and as part of a bigger...plan. changing one thing, one event can easily change others, which can change more events, and on and on.

that said, i'd certainly be very tempted to prevent JFK from being assassinated.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wish for Anne Frank and her family to migrate to the US or England as they had planned as opposed to them staying in the Netherlands. I think the family would have all enjoyed life in London - Otto Frank had cousins in London who did offer him and his family a place to stay at their house, but when he tried to migrate, the migration borders were closed. Anne and her family (bar Otto who survived the Holocaust), as well as all the victims of the Holocaust, died in such a tragic and senseless way and it particularly angers me that like many victims of the concentration camps, they passed away only a few days before liberation. Anne wrote in her diary that she wished to leave a legacy and those who knew her have said that she wished to become a famous author, so I believe her diary still would have been famous had she survived the Holocaust as she might have turned it into an autobiography and continued to write other books about her experiences during the war.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wish for Anne Frank and her family to migrate to the US or England as they had planned as opposed to them staying in the Netherlands. I think the family would have all enjoyed life in London - Otto Frank had cousins in London who did offer him and his family a place to stay at their house, but when he tried to migrate, the migration borders were closed. Anne and her family (bar Otto who survived the Holocaust), as well as all the victims of the Holocaust, died in such a tragic and senseless way and it particularly angers me that like many victims of the concentration camps, they passed away only a few days before liberation. Anne wrote in her diary that she wished to leave a legacy and those who knew her have said that she wished to become a famous author, so I believe her diary still would have been famous had she survived the Holocaust as she might have turned it into an autobiography and continued to write other books about her experiences during the war.
I'd wish for the world to be more open to helping those who so obviously needed it. So many tried to get to the U.S. and couldn't, because the new immigration regime wouldn't let them. Celebrities like Freud and Einstein were able to find refuge.

We are providing refuge, but we could do more. But it won't be easy. But it would be the right thing to do. Right things are rarely easy. Alas.