Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be more inclined to buy a hybrid, at least as things stand now, with gas still available. However, I expect my current 2005 Toyota Corolla to last me a good time yet, and I won't replace it until I either really need to do so or get an irresistible deal on a new car. And I do mean "new," not just new to me.

The problem with buying a used electric vehicle (or hybrid) is that it means buying a used battery, which in turn means that you're likely to have to replace the battery sooner rather than later, and that's really expensive. So if I were in the market for a hybrid or electric car I'd definitely want a new one. We do need to switch over to electric rather than gas engines, as there are sustainable ways to produce electricity that don't involve creating greenhouse gases, but I agree with others here that the technology isn't mature yet. We need some much better batteries, that don't involve creating new problems with the environment, and better ways to dispose of used batteries. And we need to be able to buy those batteries at a reasonable price. We also need to be working on ways to decrease the amount of greenhouse gas produced by our electric plants, and need to make charging stations as common as gas stations now are. This is a major undertaking, and we're only beginning to take it seriously, at least in the U.S..

The other thing I would warn against is self-driving vehicles. That's another technology that isn't mature yet, and there have been some major problems caused by the self-driving vehicles that have been released so far. Eventually they may prove to be far safer than driving yourself, but we aren't there yet.

Also, after that huge fiasco with Volkswagen's so-called "clean diesel" engines in 2015 I assume everyone knows better than to fall for that one should it come around again (and it probably will).

Margret

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Wednesday, although it is already Thursday in my part of the world. :)

I would love to have an e-car. Saving to get one. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are looking at replacing our Tucson as it's ten years old and starting to "need" things. At this point, it would be better to replace the thing, rather than have it nickel and dime us to death. We're looking at hybrids. That doesn't mean we're going to buy one; it means we're looking.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I’m a pensioner and just had to spend a lot of my savings getting a used car a couple of months ago (a Toyota Corolla, an extremely reliable model, thank goodness!) after my first car died of old age. I couldn’t afford an electric car even if I had a job. I also looked at where charging stations are in my city and the nearest is over half an hour away!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I'm hanging on to my 20 year old car in the hope that it keeps going until they become affordable!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be more inclined to buy a hybrid, at least as things stand now, with gas still available. However, I expect my current 2005 Toyota Corolla to last me a good time yet, and I won't replace it until I either really need to do so or get an irresistible deal on a new car. And I do mean "new," not just new to me.

The problem with buying a used electric vehicle (or hybrid) is that it means buying a used battery, which in turn means that you're likely to have to replace the battery sooner rather than later, and that's really expensive. So if I were in the market for a hybrid or electric car I'd definitely want a new one. We do need to switch over to electric rather than gas engines, as there are sustainable ways to produce electricity that don't involve creating greenhouse gases, but I agree with others here that the technology isn't mature yet. We need some much better batteries, that don't involve creating new problems with the environment, and better ways to dispose of used batteries. And we need to be able to buy those batteries at a reasonable price. We also need to be working on ways to decrease the amount of greenhouse gas produced by our electric plants, and need to make charging stations as common as gas stations now are. This is a major undertaking, and we're only beginning to take it seriously, at least in the U.S..

The other thing I would warn against is self-driving vehicles. That's another technology that isn't mature yet, and there have been some major problems caused by the self-driving vehicles that have been released so far. Eventually they may prove to be far safer than driving yourself, but we aren't there yet.

Also, after that huge fiasco with Volkswagen's so-called "clean diesel" engines in 2015 I assume everyone knows better than to fall for that one should it come around again (and it probably will).

Margret
I had one of those "Clean Diesel " Volkswagens. I didn't have any issues Maintenance wise with it. It got extraordinary mileage. Like 53mpg hwy. I sold it back to VW Corporate through their buyback program in 2017 as I got almost what I initially paid for it back. So with the extra funds I upgraded from a VW to a Audi.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one of those "Clean Diesel " Volkswagens. I didn't have any issues Maintenance wise with it. It got extraordinary mileage. Like 53mpg hwy. I sold it back to VW Corporate through their buyback program in 2017 as I got almost what I initially paid for it back.
My father drove a diesel Volkswagen for many years and loved it. The reputation of diesel cars was ruined by GM. They jumped the gun with one in the 80's that was a converted gas engine. It was a piece of junk that was nothing but problems. Diesels are far more popular in Europe and is the way they went where the U.S. went the hybrid route.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father drove a diesel Volkswagen for many years and loved it. The reputation of diesel cars was ruined by GM. They jumped the gun with one in the 80's that was a converted gas engine. It was a piece of junk that was nothing but problems. Diesels are far more popular in Europe and is the way they went where the U.S. went the hybrid route.
I remember those; in fact, one of Michele's brothers had an '84 GMC with that engine in it. He couldn't keep head gaskets in the thing, as they would only last a month or so. He finally junked it as no one would take it in trade.