Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 17, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :dancingblackcat: One of our neighbors works at a car dealer and recently bought a new electric car. He had to have an EV Adapter/Level 2 Charger installed in his garage to charge the car because he has an older home. It was by no means cheap nor was the car. I will probably need a new or used car sometime in the near future but just trying to take care of my present car the best I can. I understand that having an electric car helps reduce the negative impact of carbon monoxide emissions but I'm not sure I'm ready to take that step nor am I in a position to pay what they cost.

WHETHER OR NOT YOU OWN A CAR OR DRIVE WOULD YOU BUY AN ELECTRIC CAR?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not. My car is four years old and will probably be the last one I own. But if I was younger the issue for me with an all electric vehicle would be that I would never want to take it on a trip. Even if chargers were everywhere, which they are not right now, I wouldn’t want to wait the time it takes to charge.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. That electricity still comes from somewhere. I don’t think we are ready for widespread electric vehicles. So many areas ask people to conserve electricity at times. So adding to the burden could be disastrous.

So maybe if we eventually had better sources it would be viable; but not yet. It feels like we’re putting the cart before the horse.

Plus there was just another video of a garage fire from an electric scooter exploding while charging. So that’s something to consider.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably not going to buy a car soon, either, but I might consider a hybrid. What worries me is what do you do if the battery runs down? I saw one photo of an electric car by the roadside being recharged by gas-driven generator. So what's the point?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought about a hybrid when I bought the car I have now but I went with a regular compact car. I don't drive that much. The grid isn't ready for widespread electric car use. I also live in an apartment complex with open parking outside which means charging would be a real hassle because I couldn't charge it at home.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My son just got a hybrid F150 truck. It doesn’t have an electric plug in, the internal battery gets recharged by the motor I guess and it runs on battery some of the time and gas the remainder. He said he gets great mileage for a truck.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love you all! This question comes at a time when I am seeing Electric car and battery factories being built everywhere in this state. It cannot possibly be helping our environment from what I know and see right in my area. No. Maybe a hybrid. I have an older minivan and next might be a horse? :lol: Horse power? Not sure how the cats would like to be on a wagon train but….could be interesting! Lol

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't have choice as our government has announced that by 2035 there will be a "ban" on buying/selling new gas vehicles. But I am also not in a position to pay the prices that they are now...so it's a no for now, but later....I guess I'll have to. Thankfully, our current vehicles are in good shape and should last several more years...but this is something I've actually been researching and am a little worried about...

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably Would consider buying a Electric Car if I was in need of one. But my '17 & '19, are in great shape and have low mileage. Plus I have extended warranties on both.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we rented a hybrid for a wedding trip up to nappa valley got there on 1/4 tank of gas from los angeles its pretty neat how the car ran it used gas long enough to recharge its battery then ran on battery and back to gas when it needed a charge. we spent less than 30 bux on gas round trip.gf has leased her last few cars its actually worth it in a way you make payments same as you would on a newly bought car each month buy the maintenace package and everythings covered oil changes along with any mechanical issues is dealers responsibility to cover/take care of at no cost to you. ofcourse you need to think the mileage planout on how many miles your putting on the car etc.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. First off, I can't afford one. Second, I can't afford the upgrades necessary to charge one. Third, as far as I know, nobody has figured out what to do with all those batteries when they die. Fourth, we pay ridiculously high rates for electricity as it is, and it will only get worse with the new regulations here in NY. And finally, the range of those things is cut dramatically in the cold of a typical WNY winter, especially when you're running the heater and lights. Not for me, thank you.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My son just got a hybrid F150 truck. It doesn’t have an electric plug in, the internal battery gets recharged by the motor I guess and it runs on battery some of the time and gas the remainder. He said he gets great mileage for a truck.
Hey if your son likes it down the road or has issues, could you let me know? thanks!!! :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 2010 Ford Fusion and a 2005 Dodge Neon (inherited). I can't afford to replace either one of them. My neighbor has an electric car, I guess he likes it.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd buy a hybrid. I'm wondering too about the increased use of electricity when dammed reservoirs are drying up, the minerals needed for the batteries, recycling the batteries vs. going in landfills...