Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 16, 2023

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are very few times it's OK to be on a speaker phone in public, IMO. One example would be if someone was giving you directions on how to do something and you needed your hands free to do it, such as change a tire, etc.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly have never understood the issue with it. Unless, you are at home watching/listening to something and someone else walks in with their speaker on full blast.
Personally, even though I do try to be as considerate as I can, I figure if I don't want to listen to someone that has their phone on speaker (like the store), then I'm free to walk away and not listen. The world doesn't revolve around me and to each is own.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'ts just plain rude. Why do people think everyone wants to listen to their personal business.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me throw this scenario out for all of you.
Imagine you are in a store. You turn to go down an isle.
One person is on their cell phone, laughing and talking. You go down the isle a little. Two people are talking and laughing. You go down a little further and two people are talking and laughing, but not in a language you understand.

Which set of these people are rude and why is the one you chose any ruder than the others?
Open your mind and actually think about it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People having a face-to-face conversation is different because one can't be muted. It is what it is. There is no reason why someone has to have their speaker on, they can have a conversation without having the other party on speaker. As far as people having a conversation in another language in public there isn't anything rude about that. I do think it is rude if you are in a restaurant or at work having a conversation with people and two of them switch to speaking in a language that the other person or people don't understand.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think it is rude if you are in a restaurant or at work having a conversation with people and two of them switch to speaking in a language that the other person or people don't understand.
soooo rude!!! my landlords do that. both speak English very well but when they don't want me to
know what they are saying, they switch to Mandarin.