Question Of The Day, Wednesday, April 8th!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whole Foods 365 brand adult multi vitamin and a fish oil capsule. I would like to add some more, but I'm not entirely sure what to take.

I have taken straight Niacin (B3) before for fertility, and WHOA MAMA! That stuff was horrible. I passed out in the middle of the cosmetics section of a department store while on it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I have taken straight Niacin (B3) before for fertility, and WHOA MAMA! That stuff was horrible. I passed out in the middle of the cosmetics section of a department store while on it.
Niacin has a vasodilatory effect. This is why some take it to help with hypertension.
In short, you lowered your already low blood pressure until it made you pass out. Melatonin is another well known supplement/sleep aid that can cause this.

Everyone here, please understand that just because you can easily get your hands on it and it's not a prescription it does not mean it's safe to fool around with! Always research what you're taking and even go over it with your doctor - if you have an existing health problem and take medication for it this is a must!
Many herbal supplements can act as inhibitors for drugs (as can some foods), thus increasing one's chance of an overdose if not careful.

And to answer the question. No. I should be taking magnesium but on bad days it can bother my blood pressure (it has vasodilatory effects, too). I should also be on potassium, if the regular muscle cramps and electrolyte tests mean anything, but OTC supplements are useless. I could get more out of eating some sweet potatoes or some other veggies.