Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 19, 2023

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Four, it's a big house. Three bathrooms and a powder room for guests. Hubby and I split the bathroom cleaning chores, though, so it isn't that bad of a chore.

And two litter boxes.
litterbox.gif

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all ears if you want to explain.
Okay, well, when we first adopted in 2005 (Swanie and Cindy) we had 3 litter boxes upstairs. When Cindy got cancer and couldn't hold her poo til she got to a box, we put one downstairs (and cleaned up any poo from where she couldn't make it to any of them, and would glady do it again). When Cindy passed, we got Darcy to be a companion for Swanie. We got her a new clean litter box for her time in confinement. When we moved her out of there, we brought the box with her (and kept the other 3). Darcy was the sweetest cat I have ever known and she and Swanie got along great. Sadly, she passed from FIP a few months after she came to live with us. So we adopted Cricket for a companion for Swanie, and she of course got her own box while in quarantine. At that point we had 5 boxes scattered around. When Swanie (my heart and soul kitty) passed, we got Austin for a companion for Cricket. Yep, got his own box. Cricket was not sure she wanted anything to do with Austin. She used words I didn't even know she knew. Austin just looked at her and said "whatever." Laid back dude like my Swanie, so eventually Cricket warmed up to him (took her a couple weeks, but she finally accepted him and now they're good friends who play and wrestle.)

So now we have 6 boxes and 2 cats. I have thought about removing some of them, but they actually use them all (not all of them every day) so I figured what the heck. There's room and it's not any harder to scoop than if we only had 3 - because they will likely have only used one or two of them and I scoop twice a day. I don't completely clean and replace litter on all of them at the same time like I used to. I focus on the ones they use most often.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house had 1 bathroom. There was a room in the basment that could be turned into a half bathroom but the lady that sold me the house had cats and when she went away for the weekends she would shut up the cats in there. I don't know how many she had but that room stunk so bad I kept the door shut the whole time I lived there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So now we have 6 boxes and 2 cats. I have thought about removing some of them, but they actually use them all (not all of them every day) so I figured what the heck.
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like a good system that works for you and the cats. :thumbsup: