Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 12, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning & Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :coolcat: The sun is out and the temps are unseasonably mild here so I'm loving it especially since there's no humidity.

I had no idea until I was watching the news that April is National Stress Awareness Month. It brings awareness to the negative impact of stress. They said that managing stress is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. Common sense tells us that stress can affect our health but it's not always as easy as they say since sometimes it's out of our control. In the last few years I'd have to say what stresses me out the most are drivers, i.e. people who speed, text and drive, run a red light, cut me off in traffic and almost cause an accident. The way I handle it is to listen to music although I have to admit there are times when I curse. When the stress is due to a close family member or pet being ill I exercise or run which really helps me. How about you?

WHAT STRESSES YOU OUT THE MOST AND HOW DO YOU HANDLE IT?

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
health issues recently thought i might have had lung cancer coughing blood etc for months along with gf all stressed out over her mom's health. what i do is just change what i can and accept the rest as it is what it is cause its a waste of time and energy stressing out over what i have no control over.with gf' stressing over her mom i know what its like to lose a parent. i also know its somthing she needs to work out on her own all i can do is offer my love and support when she needs or wants it. :biggrin:also helps just talking to graycie cats are the best listeners

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'd have to say doctors my daughter has been having a lot of problems health wise recently. Her mental and physical health has taken a hit this past 12 months. The NHS is under pressure so appointments take a lifetime to get she has just waited 10 months for a neurology appointment only to be told another 12 months for a brain scan to confirm if the numbness she has is MS or her fibro. And don't even get me started on the team that's supposed to look after her mental health. It's been stressful but the boy's really help. When I get home and just sit with them or they do something daft to make me laugh. They help me so much without even realising it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The NHS is under pressure so appointments take a lifetime to get she has just waited 10 months for a neurology appointment only to be told another 12 months for a brain scan to confirm if the numbness she has is MS or her fibro. And don't even get me started on the team that's supposed to look after her mental health.
I understand completely since my daughter is studying in the UK and under NHS. I'm appalled at their health system from what she has told me. One of the administrators screwed up and dropped her records completely so when she went to refill a prescription she was told she's not in NHS. :eek:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand completely since my daughter is studying in the UK and under NHS. I'm appalled at their health system from what she has told me. One of the administrators screwed up and dropped her records completely so when she went to refill a prescription she was told she's not in NHS. :eek:
That's a terrible thing to happen. Especially when you need your prescription.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Going through the aftermath of my mom’s death and the negative effect it had on my always fragile relationship with my sister. While we do still get together for holidays it is more stressful than fun for me. I need physical activity to wear off my stress, so it building something, fixing something or exercising on my rower.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually going thru burn out right now so a lot of things are stressing me out...some probably more than they should as my tolerance in not as great as it used to be. I'm trying to get my life back in order, one step at a time, with diet, exercise, routine creation, personal care, etc... With spring starting, I think it will help get my moods and energy back on track as well.
For stuff that stress me out that are more on the trivial side of things....bad traffic or road conditions, being late or when others are late and waiting around for others, crowds...and there are more things too but I'll stop here.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Change is stressful. We’ve had a lot of that the last 8 months. Being over scheduled is stressful. What one person is comfortable doing in a day may not be sustainable to someone else.

DH and I have been talking about this because we both need to manage it better. We are going on dates more often and making room for hobbies. Its also one reason we let the kids go away for a week to my moms. I was close to cracking. Now they brought germs home and shared so we are easing back into life. :lol: :rolleyes2:

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry about hubby's health,which is a big stressor for me,bad weather coming our way,when our son was out on the road more than he is right now,and I'd hear about a semi wreck up north.Sometimes seems like I get stressed more often than not.I don't know...just try and deal with it as best I can...gotta be the strong one and stay on top of things.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My main stressors are finances and never feeling secure in what I have. It's so much easier to save money when you have money. I am constantly paycheck to paycheck because I get hit with unexpected issues like vet bills, something going wrong in my house, etc. I'm lucky to have a house, especially now (I definitely could not afford my house if I bought it now as opposed to 3 years ago).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I deal with anxiety and depression; sometimes it doesn't take much.

Since we're both retired, it's hard living together sometimes. I like to get up early and get my work done. While Rick does get out of bed, he likes to sit with his iPad for hours in the morning. I don't get my work done because I make too much noise (vacuuming, for example). I love to rip through the house, tear apart a room and clean. But I'm older now and, well, I can't do it alone anymore. I need help moving furniture. And I have to ease him into it; we can't just wake up and attack a room; I have to talk to him into it several days ahead of time. It's never been an issue before. I always did it when he was in Oregon or if I had a day off work and he did not. I always did heavy spring cleaning by myself while he wasn't around. It's not like I do this every week. But I always did spring cleaning and even a bit of fall cleaning to get ready for the holidays.

We have things in the house that need to be done. The foyer has been in disarray for months. No floorboard, spackled walls. How he can deal with it is beyond me. We still didn't paint the living room. We chose the color and it ended there. Talked about painting again yesterday. He said we should get the living room painted, so it's done when they install the AC. And that I could do it; well, yes, I can, BUT I still need help moving stuff around. I need help taking the TV down from the wall. Furniture is too heavy to move it alone and I refuse to blow a knee out again, trying to do it by myself. (It really peeved me off last year when I was trying to move the piano by myself and he stood there waiting for me to get out of his way, so he could get back the hallway. That's how I ended with with the meniscus tear and surgery.)

Sometimes I think we should just forget it and hire somebody to do some of this stuff. The whole thing is very frustrating. To me anyway.

Sorry, this is way more than you wanted to know. But I think I needed to get it out.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Deadlines. I don't have anywhere near as many as I used to, but I can tend to procrastinate, so deadlines are usually around to some degree or other. :lol: