Question Of The Day, Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow...took me a minute to get here, and now have to go get rid of my old links and add the new one on both Chrome and Edge! And I've utterly forgotten my question, so give me a minute here!

Do you enjoy poetry? Have a favorite poet?

I certainly do, but my very favorite is the silliest of all, Ogden Nash. I just love how he plays with language. He's the guy who wrote:
"Oh pity Mr. and Mrs. Bryon.
Bryon was eaten by a lion.
Upon which time the
Lion's lioness
Upped and devoured
Bryon's Bryoness!"

You GOTTA love a man whose mind works like that!

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not into "grown up" poetry but I like silly poetry, like Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl & Maurice Sendak (Does he count?).

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like poetry in very small doses. I haven't much patience for it, unfortunately. My favorite poetry is from rock and roll songs, truth be told.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally no. Its the "grown up" poetry I can't stand. (I like how you phrased that amysuen amysuen !) But some of the more lighthearted or children's poetry is enjoyable.

I think the problem is that I don't like overly dramatic things. Such as Anne in Anne of Green Gables or The Princess Bride movie (*ducks*). Just say it nicely. I don't need the rest. ;)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter is a starving poet (is there any other kind) and I do like her work very much. I also like T.S. Eliot a lot. Am also a big Dr. Seuss fan.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter is a starving poet (is there any other kind) and I do like her work very much. I also like T.S. Eliot a lot. Am also a big Dr. Seuss fan.
I'm not a big poetry fan in general, but I love T.S.Eliot :D Apparently, when I was 2 or 3, I picked up our copy of 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' and demanded to be taught how to read it! :p

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do like some. I especially enjoy haiku.
A favorite poet is Pablo Neruda.
Here's the last stanza from "Ode to a Cat" - which seemed the most appropriate to highlight here! It's a long poem otherwise!

Not me.
I do not subscribe.
I do not know the cat.
I know it all, life and its archipelago,
the sea and the incalculable city,
botany,
the gyneceum and its frenzies,
the plus and the minus of mathematics,
the volcanic frauds of the world,
the unreal shell of the crocodile,
the unknown kindness of the fireman,
the blue atavism of the priest,
but I cannot decipher a cat.
My reason slips on his indifference,
his eyes have golden numbers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. I may have to use those last three lines as my signature on Yahoo mail!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a fan of poetry in general as it seems kind of pretentious to me. However, I really love Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening. I can just hear the snow falling. Very peacefull. I also like how the last words from 1st/2nd/and 4th lines rhyme, and how the last words of the 3rd line carries over to the next verse where that same word rhymes with the 1st/2nd/and 4th lines. I never noticed that before.

Like Primula, I like the poetry of music lyrics. Some of that is even pretentious.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any patience with poetry for poetry's sake, if that makes any sense, lol. I like it to rhyme and tell a story. Like Paul Revere's Ride or The Song of Hiawatha or Stopping in the Woods on a Snowy Evening. I actually had all 3 of those memorized when I was a kid. I can still remember parts. And of course the funny ones like T.S. Eliot and Ogden Nash are favorites.

"The panther is like a Leopard,
Except it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther."

:D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ha! Yes! I keep trying to tell him that but it falls on deaf ears!
That's exactly the problem I think. I just find it SO annoying. I don't care much for Jim Carey style comedy. Really anything overly dramatic. 2 of my friends were childhood best friends. They used to pretend they were Anne and Diana from Anne of Green Gables. Me? I wanted to smack Anne and tell her to get a grip! :lol:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
That's exactly the problem I think. I just find it SO annoying. I don't care much for Jim Carey style comedy. Really anything overly dramatic. 2 of my friends were childhood best friends. They used to pretend they were Anne and Diana from Anne of Green Gables. Me? I wanted to smack Anne and tell her to get a grip! :lol:
Funny I feel the same way. I just watched an older version with the actress Anne Shirley. Well most of it.