Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 10, 2024

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :coolcat: I was thinking about the first two kittens we adopted shortly after being married, Harpo and Chico. Harpo was all black and Chico was a mackerel tabby. They were extremely energetic brothers. :winkcat: How about you?

WHO WAS YOUR FIRST CAT(S), WHAT WAS THEIR NAME(S) AND WHAT DID THEY LOOK LIKE?

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first and current kitty’s name is Hobbes. He is such a sweetheart and steals the hearts of all who meet him. I swear we adopted a dog that purrs. Greets us at the door, follows us around…I can’t believe he’ll be 6 months on Sunday.

Im a photographer so he is my little model… :lol:
IMG_6746.jpeg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hobbes is such a beautiful boy!

If by "first cat" you mean the first cat you knew in the family, that would be Sooty (more often called Charlie - I have no idea why) who was older than I was. He was a black cat my parents bought as a kitten from someone they knew, I think. My first cat was Cindy, a black and white mask-and-mantle bicolour, who was dumped in our garden when I was eleven and she was maybe three months. I haven't any pictures of her online, she crossed the bridge in 1989.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first Kitty as a adult was "Hobie Cat". I got him as a kitten in 1984. He was a Brown Mackerel Tabby Maine Coon. I named him after the Catamaran Sailboat I had at that time. He lived To be 16yrs. old.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first cat that actively remember was Kessel, named after the place she came from. I was 3 years old when we got her. A year later she got kittens, we kept one and named him Fiets (which means bicycle in Dutch hihi) shortly after we got Junior. I have a tattoo of all three of them on my arm, which I drew myself!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My first kitty, when I was very young, was named BoBo. I named her, so you can deduce how old I was.
I loved that cat. She was a regular tabby; so sweet. BoBo was such a sweet cat. She would allow me to do anything to her. I carried her around, dressed her in doll clothes, and even put her in a doll baby buggy, with a hat on! She allowed me to wheel her around our huge farmhouse typed kitchen.
This was in the late '50's very early 60's. My dad had a picture of this, and had a recording on film of this, also.

One day, I remember my neighbor coming over, my mother getting so upset, actually crying. I remember I was forbidden from going out front, or even to the front hall or door. I knew "something" happened. I was about 6 years old.

The worst thing, is that my parents always hid 'badness' from me. They told me that Bobo either ran away, or that someone loved her so much, and needed a kitty, that they took her.

I can remember me, pushing my dad to drive around the neighborhood, calling out for her, with headlights on. My dad reluctantly did, with me and my 10 year old cousin. We had windows open, calling her. I was really upset. My cousin sat in the back with arms folded, not saying a word. After going through a couple of streets, my dad stopped and came home. He looked dejected.

I loved that cat so much, that my first essay in school was about Bobo and how she left me. Hoping that someone took her-- someone who needed her more than me. Kids are so perceptive. I was proud of that essay. I got an A+ on it. As my mom read it, she had to run away.. crying. I never understood why.. now I know.

It was not until about 6 years ago, another, older cousin, tell me that BoBo was run over by a neighbor. At that time, the street was unpaved. There was a huge hole in the street. Bobo was lying in it. The Neighbor never saw her.. He felt horrible. It was him woh took her body to my mom. Everyone knew how much that cat meant to me. No one told me the truth.

Now, I know why, suddenly, his wife started buying me Birthday, Christmas and Graduation Presents, and was very kind to me.
My mom still held a grudge; My dad forgave--- it was an accident. The husband always gave my dad some homemade wine. He was from Italy. The couple were childless.

I still remember Bob to this day... My first kitty love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank for your story about Bobo. I'm sorry you never knew the true story of what happened to her but years later found closure.🤗

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank for your story about Bobo. I'm sorry you never knew the true story of what happened to her but years later found closure.🤗
Sorry, I may have gone off topic on this one.. I apologize..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first cat was named Christmas Tinsel. Tinsel or Tinny for short. I was 2 going on 3 when we adopted her not long after my parents divorced. I have this memory of freaking out hysterically after coming home from a week at Disney and she had grown so much I didn’t think she was the same cat! :lol:

She was a gray and white tuxie with very faint tabby markings. If I remember right; those markings were more pronounced when she was tiny. My cousins adopted her brother Heithcliff; who was a long hair brown tabby with white basically. Tinsel’s tail was a little short after an accident when she tried to sneak out of our apartment; which had heavy metal doors. I remember picking her up from the vet and her tail bandage but thankfully not the accident itself. I do remember getting my finger in that door too though! Its interesting that so many of my earliest memories are around my first cat.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't think I'd be crying today but here we are. I get that your parents wanted to shield you from having to see her like that. I do think children should learn about the concept of death at some point though so they could have told you. Children are way smarter than people think they are.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The first cat I had was named Herschel. He was a tuxedo. A truly great cat and I will always remember him. He grew up in a house with 8 cat lovers and was the only cat. He got much affection and was welcome in any lap he encountered. I thought all cats would be as great as he was. I still miss him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There were always cats in the house growing up, I think the first was Fluffy but I don’t remember much about her. My first cat as an adult was Brandy. She was a white and brown tabby with a rather unpleasant disposition. Even though I got her as a young kitten, she was usually not in the best of moods, and gave mean slap, slap, slap if you annoyed her. My son was seven and was frequently disciplined by her and she would often chase him into his room and not let him out until I intervened. She lived to 16 and died due to diabetes complications.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our first cat was one that we 'inherited' from Michele's parents with their passing. They had named him Spooky, as he was a shorthaired tuxedo who had been dumped out in the country as a kitten, then found his way to their farm. He was nearly 20 when he came to us, and 22 when he crossed the Bridge.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first family cat was Casey. We got her from my aunt and uncle's hobby farm when I was 6. My first cat that was solely mine, was my soul mate cat, Willie. She was actually also from my aunt and uncle's hobby farm and had the same mother as Casey (we had 4 cats from 3 different litters from that mother cat). I got Willie a week before I started high school when I was 14. She died in 2017 at the age of 17. I also have her tattooed on my arm.
Here's a picture of Willie (on the right) with her sister Lilli (my sister's cat).
2007-06-22 23.30.42.jpg

I also had Willie in my senior yearbook photo (the only student with an animal because my friend was the yearbook editor :cool:).
0kIHm80w.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first family cat was Casey. We got her from my aunt and uncle's hobby farm when I was 6. My first cat that was solely mine, was my soul mate cat, Willie. She was actually also from my aunt and uncle's hobby farm and had the same mother as Casey (we had 4 cats from 3 different litters from that mother cat). I got Willie a week before I started high school when I was 14. She died in 2017 at the age of 17. I also have her tattooed on my arm.
Here's a picture of Willie (on the right) with her sister Lilli (my sister's cat).
View attachment 474073

I also had Willie in my senior yearbook photo (the only student with an animal because my friend was the yearbook editor :cool:).
View attachment 474072
I love this photo!! I had my senior pictures taken with one of my cats, and another photo taken with my horse. They weren't in the yearbook but were part of a package the photographer offered.
I don't really remember a "first cat" as a kid, because we always had a house full. The first cats that were my own responsibility, fully, were Goofy and Sarah and their brothers who unfortunately passed at young ages.