Question of the Day: Wednesday 1/25/2012

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a power outage lasts for a couple of days how do your cats react?

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's only happened once, when he was a little kitten. He acted like a little kitten at night-he just kinda slept. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We've had the power go out, but never for more than a day. During the winter, the cats will clump in bed to stay a bit warmer. During the summer,I don't know that they even care.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We only had a power outage last that long once. It was for about 36 hours. I don't think my cats cared much at all. In fact, I think they enjoyed it because I spent most of those hours doting on them with lots of play sessions. Wendall is very frightened of storms so if there is a storm going on - we sit in my bedroom closet with a small flashlight - he feels safe in there during storms. And actually, all of the cats join us in there wondering what it so fun in the closet! :D :wavey:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're on the main grid, so thankfully that's never happened. I doubt the cats would know the power is out, except we'd probably be playing with them a lot more when the batteries in the electronics run out.

Last edited:

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
haha!,,,,...Good question!....:D
For the cats is party because when the dark is coming is party-land the home!....:clap:, the nascar-runs begins on the ladders :dash:

Is not usually the power energy fail, but once, all night was turn off and was really hot here!...:sweat:

hahaha!....:bigthumb:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The longest complete power outage we've experienced in this house was about two to four hours, as far as I recall. That was quite a while ago and was due to work being done on the lines. Jamie probably wouldn't notice until the radiators started getting cold (and then he'd pester).

Last edited:

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats never liked power outages, and thankfully, here in Southern California aka Earthquake Country, we haven't had that many.  They didn't like them because prior to laser surgery in 1998, I was extremely nearsighted and unintentionally stepped on the cats' tails or paws when I didn't have my glasses on or my contacts in.

Now, with much better vision, my cats equate power outages with more mommy time, because the TV and computer don't work.  They're used to the sound of the can opener (guaranteed they'll come running, even when the food is not for them), so I had to track them down when I used a manual can opener to give them dinner.

What they don't like is thunder.  Thunderstorms are rare in my part of the country, but we do get them.  Nine years ago, there was a very loud clap of thunder right over my apartment, and my cats jumped in unison from one side of the bed to the other, then dove under the covers to be with mom.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet would scream. like this:

Nah. We lost power for almost 2 days. They were fine, and really enjoyed playing with the light sticks :)

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only time they seem to mind is when it's the summer. It gets HOT in TX and my kitties are used to a very climate controlled environment where they stay relatively cool even when it's day 25 over 105*. So when we lost power for 2 days last summer, you would have thought the cats were the only ones suffering. They moped around, would only move for food and stared at us like it was our fault. I mean, it was warm in the house but with windows open we could survive. If the cats could have called the animal police to report us, they would have. 

They acted so pitiful that we decided that if the power didn't come back on by day 3, we would take them to a hotel for the night. We are suckers. 

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah Draco I LOVE the pictures!!! So cute!

We just got Riley in October and have had no power outages since then (thankfully). But, I've never experienced a power outage for more than a few hours anyways. Riley seems to like the dark so I'm sure he would enjoy it