Question of the Day - Tuesday, September 6

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greeeeeettings! And happy first Tuesday of September! I hope everyone is having a good week so far 🍃

giphy.gif

How do you make yourself sleep when you can’t seem to get to sleep?

I usually use a sleep aid - little godsends I swear - but if it was a night where I wasn't using one, I would usually do some breathing exercises to help shut down my brain and pet a cat who is snuggling beside me. Chamomile tea during the winter is also helpful too, or dropping some lavender essential oil on my pillow.

giphy (1).gif

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I will have a sleep tea to help relax. I often fall asleep reading or watching something low-key. Sometimes just daydreaming about pleasant things or telling myself a pleasant story works too.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just toss and turn, look at the clock every 5 minutes and worry about the fact that I'm not sleeping....it's not very effective. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am careful about my insomnia triggers - caffeine and chocolate - I usually don’t have trouble getting to sleep. When it does happen I will usually try to think about or remember my dreams from the previous night. Those are usually so tangled and fuzzy that they send me off to sleep.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
dim the lights , tv on lowest level , turn back the blankets and hunker down with my c pap mask

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My family is known for sleeping through anything, lol. :biggrin: However, if I wake up during the night and have trouble going back to sleep I look no further than where Carleton is sleeping. Just being near him and cuddling helps me fall back to sleep.:zzzcat:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have anxieties, so sleep is always a problem for me.
Each time it happens I do any word puzzles on my phone. Or watch a boring show. Sometimes it is effective, most times it isn't.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
umm…did I mention that the moon IS waxing? :thud:

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Timely question. We spent Monday night at a hotel on the beach and I didn't sleep. There was no helping it since I was away from home. I believe I finally fell asleep around 4 am but we were up at 730. At home I would turn on the diffuser with lavender, have sleepy tea, and maybe change the blankets or sit in an epsom salt bath.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this story I made up that I've done so many times I go back to playing it in my head and usually I'm out before it's done.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cup of decaf tea with sugar. 20 to 30 minutes later, my glucose level crashes and I feel sleepy. It works about 80% of the time.

Other times I relax my body muscle by muscle, starting at my feet and working my way up. I concentrate on each muscle group until I feel the tension drain out. By the time I get to my neck I'm usually pretty relaxed.

Deep breathing also helps. Inhale deeply through the nose, hold it, then exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat three times.

Counting sheep! It sounds archaic, but it sometimes works if you do it right. It's not like the old cartoons where you count them as they jump over a fence or something. Instead, picture a nice green field or some pastoral other scene. Picture a bunch of sheep grazing and milling about, then try and count them. I think this sometimes works because you're getting your brain to think abstractly, which helps you slide into the hypnagogic state that occurs right before you nod off.

Question: does anybody else get a hangover from over the counter sleep aids? I tend to feel groggy the next day if I take them.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Melatonin. If I didn't have to sleep I never would, so I almost never want to go to bed and the only way to get me to do it is to get so tired that I basically pass out. I also watch rug cleaning videos before bed and that always makes me tired.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Pick a category then go through the alphabet A-Z.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I envision myself walking barefoot slowly on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever not been able to sleep. I can sleep anywhere, any time. It's a special gift I have.

:lol:
Before I retired, I was exactly like that, especially when I had young children. These days it's different. I take a melatonin capsule with some herbs in it and half of a Benadryl tablet.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never found anything to reliably send me to sleep when I’m wakeful at night. If I’m worrying about something, forget it. The most common, and annoying, thing is that I’ll be ready to fall asleep around 5.30pm, but once I’ve had dinner I wake up, and stay awake. I’m not free to arrange my schedule as I like, because I’m my mother’s carer. I should try knitting instead of reading in bed, though that might lead to having to wrestle the yarn away from the Yarn Monster.

105862C3-11D5-4EB8-8EF1-53642B770480.jpeg