Question of the Day - Tuesday, September 24th.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been doing a lot of cleaning lately, both inside and outside. Outside I have been clipping back some plants for winter and bringing in some of the garden ornaments. Yesterday I started doing a good cleaning of the inside as well, with my bedroom being first.

Today's question is:

Do you do a good Fall/Spring cleaning either in or outside your house?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During breaks from school I try to get my house in order.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do. Both spring and fall in the house. I will wash down all the woodwork and give everything a good coat of lemon oil (I love lemon oil for wood). Rick will clean the carpet and the upholstered furniture with the Bissell for me (he does it throughout the year, too, but he always does a really good job spring and fall). We'll take the drapes down and take them into the cleaner. Washable curtains and such go into the laundry. I also wash down the walls in the living room and back through the hallway. The kitchen ceiling, too, especially, because of cooking. I love spring and fall cleaning.....spring because we're getting rid of all the crap from the winter and we can open the windows for the fresh air and everything is new again. And fall because I'm getting ready for the holidays, so the house has to be sparkling clean. I love the holidays. I'm not a clean freak by any stretch, even though I do like a clean house. And with the cats, it's difficult to keep after things all the time.

Outside, our fall work consists of cutting the perennials down to the ground or keeping them just a few inches above the ground, depending on what we're cutting. We need to tear the garden apart in the fall, take the fence down and remove the posts (I don't know what's going to happen this year; Rick swears he's building a permanent fence around the garden because of the deer and the raccoons, but we'll see.) We put leaves over our strawberry plants to mulch them. Rick has painted the house trim, so we're good there for another year. He still has to paint our front door and we're not sure what color we want yet. 

We have an in-ground pool, so we open it in the spring, usually around the middle of May or so and then close it right after Labor Day. That can be time-consuming, but Rick has it pretty well down pat by now. I think our pool is probably close to 25 years old now; we've put the second liner in it and within the next year or so, we'll have to put another one in. We're thinking about filling the pool in, though, because we don't use it enough anymore to make it worth while.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
DH does the outside and I do the inside. "Spring" cleaning is usually some time in the summer, and then the house gets another really thorough cleaning between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. The windows, doors and curtains also get done again in the spring and fall.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know how people put away spring clothing and bring out the next set of clothes and etc... ?  I don't do that I hang the spring / summer shirts / fall sweaters / winter things separate .

Sometimes I will go through the closets and may throw old things away.  I do clean the patio every time the guy cuts the grass cause he blows it on it, And I will wash the patio furniture down before winter.and get rid of the cobwebs too.