Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 24

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hellooooo! I hope everyone is well! :coolcat:

What piece of advice you received that you initially ignored but later found to be incredibly valuable?

- Don't crack your knuckles
- Stop worrying about the opinions of people you don't like or respect anyway

As I usually say, I am sure there were many other good ones, but those first came to mind!

loading-cat.gif

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today! Very good advice I found out later, because there is almost ALWAYS something else that comes up 'tomorrow' and you don't get it done at all!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your monthly housework on a Monday, every 4 weeks, instead of on the 1st of every month. So you can go out on the weekends, because the 1st often falls on the weekend.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Study hard, do your homework, get good grades and it will pay off when you're older.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Study hard, do your homework, get good grades and it will pay off when you're older.
I'd actually say the opposite. The C's get degrees adage is true. I was adamant about doing my absolute best in high school, but it first of all did not prepare me for college, and second of all, really did not matter in me getting my degrees. I was never interested in going to Ivy League (which I think is very overrated for undergrad) and the colleges I did attend were decent enough to get me a steady job in the field I want.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes the message you don't want to hear is the one you need to hear.

My unofficial godmother was really good for saying what I didn't want to hear when I was a teenager, but I noticed she always turned out to be right so I learned to shelve it till the feelings faded and think on it. It's highly amusing right now because she is my Godson's Language Arts teacher this year in Middle School and he's....um...stubborn. ;) He needs her more than he realizes right now. Her husband was the same way (also a middle school teacher and coach).

I'd actually say the opposite. The C's get degrees adage is true. I was adamant about doing my absolute best in high school, but it first of all did not prepare me for college, and second of all, really did not matter in me getting my degrees. I was never interested in going to Ivy League (which I think is very overrated for undergrad) and the colleges I did attend were decent enough to get me a steady job in the field I want.
My version is "Progress over perfection."

My son's Godparent's son had to get pulled out of middle school for 2 years because his behavior was so bad. He was an energetic little thing when he was a toddler too. That kid just got a Master's degree from Harvard and has been married for about 5-6 years now I think. My own rebellious/delinquent looking cousin has 2 Master's Degrees in a field she is SUPER passionate about. Her mother basically marched her into the registrars office at a local college and said "You're going." Whoda thunk it right? :lol: It helps me remember to be patient with my kid's academic struggles and humble about their successes. And to look long term; not short. I really do not agree with pushing kids into every AP class, sport, and extracurricular to throw them into excessive debt from a big name college. It's not a guarantee of success and stability.