Question Of The Day - Tuesday, October 24

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello hello! Happy Tuesday! :blush:

What makes you cry in movies or TV?

I have variants, but without a doubt the 1# that makes me cry is anything animal related - from the animals emotions being affected to a death. That's why in general I stay away from animal movies, I will genuinely and litterally sob every 5 minutes.

In general I absolutely hate crying while watching something; just don't enjoy it at all, and will stay away in general from anything tear jerker if I am able to!

On a random side note, one week left until Halloween :blackcat::caticon:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't even watch animal related movies and scenes. I will get up and leave. :smash: My DH even knows if something hes watching is starting to get me riled up he changes it or puts in his earbuds to watch.

But for crying it's definitely things with kids and mothers. It's become a big trigger for me when the kids are being hurt or kids die. I really don't like to cry whether I'm watching a movie or reading a book. I'm there to relax; I need my Happily Ever Afters. I was trying to read Good as Gone earlier this year and I couldn't do it. Not even after peeking at the end. I'm the same with movies. I don't mind spoiling a plot line sometimes.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Couple/love/family related things. I teared up during the beginning of UP when it went through his early life with his wife. And it's not a movie, but I've cried during more episodes of This is Us than I've ever cried before.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I cry during animal stories or movies too. I should have realized I was doomed since as a child I cried when Bambi's mother was shot and again when Dumbo got separated from his mother. The last animal movie I saw was A Dog's Purpose. Let's just say I could have used a box of tissues. :sniffle: However, I also tear up when a loved one dies, whether a child or adult. I even cry when a hero is saved or the underdog wins. I guess I'm just a sentimental fool. :wink:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cry at animal movies as well. I will go back further. I don't know if anyone has seen Old Yeller but I cried at the end. On the last day they had to have the dog tied up he showed the signs of rabies and the boy had to shoot his dog.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Movies or TV shows about animals dying make me cry. I have to turn the channel or leave the room.

Muffy

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I should have realized I was doomed since as a child I cried when Bambi's mother was shot
That was the first time I remember crying at a movie too. Now I cry at sad things and I cry at happy things - people or animals, real or animated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another vote for animals.

And can you believe that when Old Yeller came out, it was considered appropriate for young children? MY how times have changed!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a sucker for sentiment, and noble deeds. I once saw an old film called The Great Moment, about the inventor of anesthesia. Near the end, a servant girl has to have a leg removed, but the doctors are refusing to use the anesthesia unless he reveals the formula. He refuses because he's still waiting for the patent.

He meets the servant girl and asks if she's afraid at all. She (not knowing who she's talking to) says no because a wonderful man made it so she won't feel any pain. At that point, he decides to tell them the formula so neither she nor anyone else will feel pain in surgery again.

I'm tearing up just thinking about it :bawling:

As far as TV goes, Doctor Who has made me cry, especially the episode Vincent and the Doctor. It's simultaneously joyous and heartbreaking.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The death of an animal.

But I refuse to watch This is Us because everybody says, "Oh, I go through a box of tissues every episode!" and I'm not going there. Why would I purposely want to watch a tv show that's is going to make me cry every week?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But I refuse to watch This is Us because everybody says, "Oh, I go through a box of tissues every episode!" and I'm not going there. Why would I purposely want to watch a tv show that's is going to make me cry every week?
I agree with you!! Maybe every now and then you can enjoy a good tear-jerker; but every week!?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It usually is something that means something to me. At the end of the movie Spirit, when he hugged the person, I bawled like a baby. Not because it was a sad scene, but because my soulmate horse always did that to me. He would put his head over my shoulder along my back and pull me close to him.
Also, for some reason Benji the Hunted. Something about the cougar cubs breaks me.

And then there was when the 10th Doctor left Doctor Who. "I don't want to go". Cry every time. Probably because I absolutely love and adore David Tennant.