Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 10

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello hello! Greetings on this fine Tuesday!

What is no longer worth it because of how expensive it has become?

Concerts - I wasn't a big concert goer to begin with, but would enjoy the odd event for a band or singer that I really liked. Nowadays most tickets are ridiculously expensive, on top of all the other stresses that go along with concert going now.

giphy.gif

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many things, but I'll go with an example that is affecting me right now.
Hiring a handyman. I can't justify paying the labor costs for my home repairs if it's something that I can do or can try to do even if not perfect in the end. I just completed all the drywall, mudding/taping and painting of my basement after some flooding we had. It's not a perfect job, but I did pretty dang great considering it was my first time. It cost me my holiday rest time, but well worth the money not spent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll agree with concerts. They are just plain too loud for me; but I did look up one artist my son really likes. Those weren't bad; especially if you are willing to sit farther back. But I looked up another group and man no way. To be honest; my respect for that artist DS likes increased because his shows are still affordable for a family.

Amusement parks are equally bad. Especially the ones that make you pay for every little thing. My niece and nephew are Irish twins that share an actual birthday. A couple years ago they celebrated at a 6 Flags. In July. It was HOT. A simple bottle of water from the vending machine was like $6.50. The refillable cups were something like $35. I don't even ride rides. I was there to supervise and be present (because I do love them) but ouch. They had go-carts; but it was extra to ride those. I think there were several other things that were extra that we weren't interested in anyway. I can kind of see the arcade being extra because you can win prizes. But gosh we didn't pay to get in so we could pay to play games instead of waiting in long lines to ride a few rides. At least when we went to Disney there was more entertainment than just rides.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fast food. I can buy better quality, locally made food to-go from a restaurant for the same or cheaper than a lot of fast food restaurants around here. The other night I treated my mom to dinner at the local Thai place and we both got massive noodle dishes + an appetizer for the same price it would have been for basic meals from Wendy's (and we had leftovers!).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tipping. Dad & I have been looking for lunch options where you don't have to tip. It's just too expensive now. Used to be $1 a person, but now the tip is expected to be as much as my sammich! Can't afford that.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Concerts here too. I've pretty much seen anyone I ever wanted anyway so no need to spend more to see them again. The last time I looked at tickets (husband really would have loved to see Billy Joel) I think the cheapest were like $700! Not even good seats!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fast food here too. I would rather save my money, eat ramen noodles at home (love them anyway) and eat somewhere nice every once in a while. Also, food and supplies from the grocery store in general! IDK why the prices of tissue paper and paper towels have stayed outrageous even though the pandemic is over. COVID is here to stay, it's all over my work right now, but things are much better now. Of course, I still have to shop for necessities, but my new go-to snack is a cup of ramen noodles. And if something is too expensive, I will get something on sale or the store brand.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Streaming services. I don't subscribe to any and just use family members' accounts, but it seems like it would just be better to get cable again.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll take another point of view.
There are innumerable overpriced luxuries that I’ve never needed. Well, when I look at them, I think of the money I am saving by avoiding them. And the more expensive they are, the more my savings and satisfaction. :)

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Driving to a Mall to shop. The closest decent Mall is 75 miles away. With gas prices as they are it's much more practical too order items online.