Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 2

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Helloooooo! Happy first Tuesday of May! 🌸🌺🌼🌷

giphy.gif

What animals don't deserve their reputation? (Whether good or bad)

Dolphins and Orcas - Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, interesting and clever and deserve protection. But oh my goodness, when you learn about their dark side and the fact that they can do some pretty horrific things (Especially the orca) geez friggin' psychopaths at times lol Media has definitely romanticized them quite a bit.

Hyenas - Are actually very intelligent, even more so than chimps. They can hear and communicate with each other up to 3 miles away via their laughter and it is a matriarchal society. Clans are ruled by females! They tend to form long-term friendships with one another and are also actually talented opportunistic hunters in their own right despite a reputation for being scavengers. Definitely one of the most misunderstood animals!

And I think we can all collectively agree that cats often had a bad rap, when we know the truth of how they really are 💕

hyena-happy-hyena.gif

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
City pigeons - I know many people hate them and call them rats in the sky, but I personally think that any animal that can survive and adapt and thrive in large man-made jungles (i.e. cities) deserve some respect. I can't imagine how animals navigate things like roads, vehicles, construction, concrete buildings, noises, people, etc.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny dogs, specifically chihuahuas. I hate chihuahuas so much because they are total jerks (I have a PG-13 word that I actually call them though).

I also agree that bats get a bad rap despite being good for the world. There are some species that are really cute too.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree about dolphins!

Snakes, I think.

White-tailed spiders have a reputation that’s basically urban myth - that their bites cause necrosis. There’s no truth in it. Now, I can’t stand them, even though their preferred prey is other spiders (just the look of them is awful imo) but they aren’t the menace people think they are (I used to think this too).

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. Possums are the cutest, sweetest animals and they are very intelligent.
There have been several over the years that co-exist peacefully with the outdoor barn cats (eating and sleeping side by side, etc.) until Mr. or Mrs. Possom decides it's time to move on. They're not nearly as destructive or aggressive as the raccoons we've had.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always kinda liked seagulls, I used to feed them as a kid at the seaway or beach. Most people here think they are annoying because they poop all over, sometimes on your head or car.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think snakes overall get a bad rep. I am one with the unreasonable fear of snakes something passed down to me by my mother when I was a child. Like other wildlife they are best left alone which is what they want as well.
I am rather fond of snakes ... I find them pretty fascinating creatures, actually. I remember one time, we were at a wildlife park (me, my parents, my younger brother) and we ran into a ranger on one of the back paths who had a snake that he had tucked inside his (tucked in) shirt--when he found out we weren't afraid of it, he let me hold the snake (a rat snake)--it really surprised me, although it shouldn't have, just how muscle-y the snake felt.

For a long time (as far as I know, there's still a descendant on the property) my parents had at least one and up to three black rat snakes living in their yard (double lot on the edge of a woods). They never had a problem with mice in the house! They'd find the shed skins--one of them was 15 feet. I know they once hired someone to tend the lawn when they were going to be away, and he was completely shocked when they matter-of-factly told him about the snakes and that he should try not to disturb them (and definitely not harm them).

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiny dogs, specifically chihuahuas. I hate chihuahuas so much because they are total jerks (I have a PG-13 word that I actually call them though).

I also agree that bats get a bad rap despite being good for the world. There are some species that are really cute too.
Speaking of bats, I love this The Dodo video about an old bat getting help with flying. So adorable!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always kinda liked seagulls, I used to feed them as a kid at the seaway or beach. Most people here think they are annoying because they poop all over, sometimes on your head or car.
Sometimes I see loads of seagulls hanging out near my house. I like them and think they're cool looking. They used to hang out in McDonalds parking lot and eat fries they'd find in the parking lot.