Question Of The Day - Tuesday, March 5

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone! Happy first Tuesday of March!

What is the most annoying question that people ask you?

I have a few :lol: some more serious some not, but I won't drag on my listing them all. The most recent one I have been getting is regarding my hands - I have tendinitis on my wrists and sometimes my hands get a little red if they get strained from working with them (Been taking care of it, gradually getting better and better) not crazy swollen or anything, just red. So lately I have been getting a lot of "OMG what is wrong with your hands?" whether coworkers or strangers.

You have no idea how tempted I am to retort back with a "I don't know, what is wrong with your face?"

Not the end of the world but I do find it sort of rude :tongue:

How about you guys?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to run to the store a few years ago, had really dry skin on my hands from a project, didn't have the time to put lotion on, and the cashier had much the same reaction, "wow, what's wrong...??"
LOL, I mumbled something and dashed back home :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get....Is your hair natural? (It's really curly). Not the worst question, I know, but it gets annoying sometimes, unless (of course) they add, "It's SO beautiful!"

Then the follow up..."Do YOU like your hair?":rolleyes3:
To which I answer, yeah I guess, but it's a pain.
Then, (because I've never heard this before), "But people pay big money to have hair like you!"
I just smile and nod. (you should see the amount of hair products I use $$$$$$$$)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was in elementary school, it annoyed the :censored: out of me every time someone asks "Do you know that there's a hurricane with the same name as you?" I was asked that a lot :nono:

Then there were the questions about if I can see without my glasses (um, yes but everything is fuzzy. I'm not blind) and if I speak a certain language because of my ethnicity (no, I don't. I grew up speaking English) or if I miss not having a sister (never had a sister so how can I miss having one?:headscratch:)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As my name is Alice, when I was at school I often got asked "do you come from Wonderland?" which bothered me a *lot*. :rolleyes2: And also "how many fingers am I holding up?" because of my glasses, and "are you really disabled?" because I have an invisible disability.

Mimiallyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My name is ‘Miriam’ and when I introduce myself (usually to only younger people) they go “OH LIKE Courage the Cowardly Dog?” Oh man. That pisses me off.

The character they’re talking about, her name isn’t even Miriam. It’s Muriel. Drives me bonkers.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the only question that annoys me any more is one I get at a hardware store or home center if I buy something big. They will ask me if I need help- for a sheet of plywood or 2 gallons of paint. I may be old, but not that decrepit- yet. My usual response is to simply stare at them like they are a blot on humanity.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It really annoys me when people ask my shoe size because I have small feet. Why are they even looking down at my feet anyway? :flail:

Last edited:

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In relation to anxiety I've had tons of people say things like have you ever tried not being introspective or have you ever tried not thinking/worrying. lol

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is more of a by-proxy annoying question regarding my brother-in-law. My brother-in-law's parents are from Vietnam but he was born in California, so I get people asking where my brother-in-law is from. My sister gets a lot of rude questions regarding her husband too. She had a phlebotomist ask if her husband ate "normal" food and then seemed shocked that they met at work.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Why are you so stupid" doesn't fit, but I've been asked a lot why I keep a bunch of cats around and the polite answer is about stewardship, husbandry practices, taking care of the living things we take in, and such......
The private answer is "the same reason you keep that ugly spouse or kid around. You feel bad for them but the short answer is they could kick your ass and we all know it." (I would never say that and feel guilty even thinking or admitting it but dang sometimes that question gets old!)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What's the plan?

My husband asks me this multiple times a day. In the morning I wake up and come downstairs and he asks "what's the plan" when dinner rolls around it's "what's the plan" after dinner it's "what's the plan?"

It drives me nuts because I'm not a planner and I never have a good answer. Life is routine so the plan is pretty much the same day to day and if it's not routine (like some unusual event/ need with a colony cat) I can't very well plan- oh we are going to rush so and so to the vet or I'm going to get a phone call from an old friend and be chatting for 2 hours while you look at facebook and periodically interrupt me because you miss me.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the plan?

My husband asks me this multiple times a day. In the morning I wake up and come downstairs and he asks "what's the plan" when dinner rolls around it's "what's the plan" after dinner it's "what's the plan?"

It drives me nuts because I'm not a planner and I never have a good answer. Life is routine so the plan is pretty much the same day to day and if it's not routine (like some unusual event/ need with a colony cat) I can't very well plan- oh we are going to rush so and so to the vet or I'm going to get a phone call from an old friend and be chatting for 2 hours while you look at facebook and periodically interrupt me because you miss me.
I plan, I'm a list maker, but anymore "The plan is we're going to do whatever life throws at us and deal with it" :thumbsup:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Rosemary, and it annoys the heck out of me when people ask, "Is that one word or two?" How many people are there named Rose Mary?

It annoys me even more if they call me "Ro."

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been a vegetarian almost my entire life. The most annoying questions I have ever gotten was around Thanksgiving time ''If you don't eat meat what do you eat for Thanksgiving?"

I would tell them I eat the same things you eat I just don't eat the turkey or dressing. "dumb aXX" I would get asked that question year after year. It got to be so annoying.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple.

The rudest one is when people ask how I became disabled. My husband suggested that I answer by stating that it was from an accident to avoid all the uncomfortableness that happens after I tell them, but, the way I see it if they want to put me on the spot, they can be told the truth. Besides, it was not an accident. Domestic violence is never an accident.

The next rudest would be about my wheelchair. I do not always use it because sometimes I can manage with my cane, but some situations are just too painful. For example, my daughter's therapist's receptionist always sees me in my wheelchair because the halls are long and carpeted. Once she saw me go into an auto parts store, purchase something at the counter, and then go back to my car while using my cane. When I next saw her, she asked why I use my wheelchair if I can walk. You would think that it is an isolated case, but it is not

People ask about my hair a lot, but the only time it bothers me is when they ask to touch it. It is 33" long (I am 60" tall), slightly wavy, and a sort of coppery auburn. (All but one section in my hair is natural. I have a grey streak that gets dyed with a henna mix.) One of my sisters always has people asking to touch her hair or just reaching out and touching it. You know Merida from "Brave"? Imagine that but Targaryen silvery blonde. Also 100% natural.