Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 30

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a hard one as I have heightened sensory issues....
I think my sense of touch tops the list but hearing and smell are a close second. As for visual, I can see very well in the dark and am very sensitive to light, but have "normal" vision. I also prefer more mild foods and can pick out spices and flavors easily but it's not my most sensitive sense, so I'll put vision and taste at the bottom of the list.

Does a "6th sense" count at all? Because mine freaks me out all the time! LOL!

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Smell. I hate it. I smell everything before anyone else and it drives me crazy! Neighbors smoking? I smell it. Neighbors cooking? I smell it. Neighbors trash? I smell it. People walking by, breath of people walking by, dogs of people walking by. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. (And for the record my fiance smells none of this.) This is actually the reason I cannot have a dog. Even when it's been bathed I still smell it and I can't stand it. The smell clings to everything they touch as well....your hands, the bed, the floor.

It has come in handy twice in my life when the gas stove was left on. Once when I was about 10 and we were camping in a trailer. We were all (5 of us) going to sleep and I smelled something weird. I told my mom and it turns out the gas on the stove was left on, but I was the only one who smelled it before we went to sleep. 😲 Second time was on Thanksgiving when I was like 15. My room was at the far end of a 4 bedroom house, the farthest possible from the kitchen. I had my door shut and was acting like an annoying teenager while everyone else was cooking in the kitchen. Again, I smelled the gas on. I went out to the kitchen and told my mom and sure enough, it had been left on. No one else smelled it because of the food I guess. I smelled both.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
depends on the situation i am in :lol:
but i would my sightleast its what i use most if i am out i am constantly scanning whats around me for any type of threats human,sherrifs,things i could trip over etc.always in a state of alertness any time i leave my home:lol:
Same here. I have bad eyesight but I'm always observing everything around me and can catch some camouflaged things people with 20/20 vision couldn't see. Same with my hearing. I think that's just the kind of person I am. I think my best sense is taste...maybe?
Smell. I hate it. I smell everything before anyone else and it drives me crazy! Neighbors smoking? I smell it. Neighbors cooking? I smell it. Neighbors trash? I smell it. People walking by, breath of people walking by, dogs of people walking by. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. (And for the record my fiance smells none of this.) This is actually the reason I cannot have a dog. Even when it's been bathed I still smell it and I can't stand it. The smell clings to everything they touch as well....your hands, the bed, the floor.
Oh, my gosh. I'm the same way with dogs. That's one reason why I like cats. You can't smell them! Or at least, I can't.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same here. I have bad eyesight but I'm always observing everything around me and can catch some camouflaged things people with 20/20 vision couldn't see. Same with my hearing. I think that's just the kind of person I am. I think my best sense is taste...maybe?

Oh, my gosh. I'm the same way with dogs. That's one reason why I like cats. You can't smell them! Or at least, I can't.
I can smell my cats, but the difference is they smell nice! I'm not sure why but I've found their natural scents to be similar to a light perfume. Po sometimes smells like a butthole because he's not always the best at grooming himself, but luckily I can only smell it if I smell him. The problem with dogs is you can smell them from the next room. :lol:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sight has never been too good - and it's getting worse. According to my daughters my hearing was far too good. They could never creep into the house at night without waking me so that I always knew at what time they came home. But my hearing has also deteriorated and I now need hearing aids.

Unfortunately my sense of taste is good - I know as soon as milk is slightly off, bread is going mouldy or peppers are past their best. At home I find that a great advantage but I hate it at friends' houses or in restaurants when everyone is happy eating and I feel sick but can't say anything! It's certainly not an advantage.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can smell my cats, but the difference is they smell nice! I'm not sure why but I've found their natural scents to be similar to a light perfume. Po sometimes smells like a butthole because he's not always the best at grooming himself, but luckily I can only smell it if I smell him. The problem with dogs is you can smell them from the next room. :lol:
*shudder* I do not like the smell of dogs. I can only smell my cats if I put my nose right there at their fur.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hearing for me I once kept hearing a high pitched beeping noise, nobody else in the house could hear it and thought I was hearing things. Until the lady from the flats next door came around and asked if we could hear the noise. Her upstairs neighbours were making it to anoy her. I was so relieved I wasn't hearing things but did feel awful for her having to live with that noise.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it’s not sight because I am practically blind in one eye with a cataract. Not taste since I have been losing mine for the last fifteen years, not smell since that seems to be going south along with taste. definitely not hearing since I seems to need a higher TV volume every year, so the winner is TOUCH!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My ENT did some test once and told me I am a supertaster which is why I like mostly plain food. The smallest bit of some spice I don't like and I can't eat the food. Nearsighted all my life but I have compensated with contacts and glasses and am very focused on seeing. Good hearing. I overheard one of my nephews tell someone once that to get away with anything around me "you have to be quick and sneaky because she hears everything."