Question of the day: Tuesday, March 19

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:drink: Soda pop :drink: I had given up on drinking my diet soda for months because my sister kept after me about how bad diet soda and that "regular" soda is much better for you IF you have to drink soda. I am back to having my diet soda with lemon once a day. :rolleyes: I don't want regular with all of that sugar and calories. I wonder if it is true that diet soda makes you desire something sweet which leads to more weight gain.

[COLOR=#PURPLE]SO... if you drink soda, do you drink diet or regular? Do you think that diet soda makes you crave sweets? If that were true, then might as well have a regular. :rolleyes:[/COLOR]

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer regular soda and try to limit it to one a day. I'm not always successful, though. :anon:

I crave sweets all the time, anyway.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink diet. I don't usually crave sweets. I've always had a fat tooth, even before switching to diet.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink diet - caffeine free. If I taste regular soda tastes much to sweet to me. I hardly ever crave sweets -- oh maybe just a dark chocolate kiss. But I'm not a sweet lover at all.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a registered nurse, so was shocked to see that study come out about the diet pop. I agree with you though, I don't like to be consuming all that sugar and calories either. I took the article to mean that your body treats the artificial sugar as it does real sugar, so it THINKS it's getting the real thing. But I think it won't actually make you CRAVE more sugar, not any more than you already crave anyway. I drink both, a regular one once in a while, especially in the summer, and I've never found a diet cola that I can handle. I don't mind the diet flavored pops, like Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper, and right now I really like diet ginger ale. But it's like anything, moderation in all things! If I have a 200 calorie pop with real sugar, I cut back on something else, I don't like to be deprived!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I drink soda it's always Diet Pepsi.  I have been drinking Wyler's Light which is a less expensive brand of Crystal Light and it has no sugar at all.  It's very tasty too.  I usually buy the Iced Tea, Lemon Aid and Pink Lemon Aid, all are good.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I used to drink diet soda all the time, but we have switched to seltzer now instead. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I drink diet - caffeine free. If I taste regular soda tastes much to sweet to me. I hardly ever crave sweets -- oh maybe just a dark chocolate kiss. But I'm not a sweet lover at all.
YES - I forgot to add in that I drink the caffeine free diet too. If I don't get started on eating "sweets" I have been able to stay away from them. The problem starts when I get started...... :lol3: I can't stop. So I try to stay away from them and don't buy them.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a registered nurse, so was shocked to see that study come out about the diet pop. I agree with you though, I don't like to be consuming all that sugar and calories either. I took the article to mean that your body treats the artificial sugar as it does real sugar, so it THINKS it's getting the real thing. But I think it won't actually make you CRAVE more sugar, not any more than you already crave anyway. I drink both, a regular one once in a while, especially in the summer, and I've never found a diet cola that I can handle. I don't mind the diet flavored pops, like Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper, and right now I really like diet ginger ale. But it's like anything, moderation in all things! If I have a 200 calorie pop with real sugar, I cut back on something else, I don't like to be deprived!
Yep - read the same studies. Your body treats artificial sugar as if it were real sugar. I don't get the reasoning behind why they say it would make you crave more sugar either. I think that the brain taunting us to eat more sugar if we have that sweet tooth. I have really been trying to stay away from sugar lately and do feel much better. I do add real sugar to my coffee each day but other than that I have cut way back. I also don't like to be deprived. :lol2: It makes me want more. :rolleyes: It is a lose/lose battle.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to drink diet soda all the time, but we have switched to seltzer now instead. :)
Never tried seltzer. I bet that would be good loaded with lemons. :D I do like the fizzle of a soda and seltzer would fizzle. ;)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The best drink on the the face of this earth is a high-octane Pepsi. In my not-so-humble opinion. I love the stuff....used to frustrate my mother to no end because I drank a 16-ounce bottle of high-octane Pepsi (no caffeine-free) for breakfast every single morning while I was in high school. Made her spastic.

These days, I drink diet Mt. Dew. Frankly, it's pretty much the best-tasting diet soft drink that I can stand. And I've tried them all. There is no diet cola that even comes close to regular Pepsi. I even tried Pepsi Next and it's not worth the 60 calories that it costs me. I will drink a diet ginger ale from time to time, but that's it. What I like to do is make unsweetened decaf iced tea (6 tea bags to 1-1/4 cups of boiling water and then 2 quarts of cold water) and then do half Dew and half tea....cuts down on some of the caffeine anyway.

I'm not sure I believe all that about diet soda giving you sugar cravings.....I had read that awhile back. Yes, I get cravings for sweets from time to time, but I do regardless of what I'm drinking. I tend to crave more carbs than sweets anyway: pizza, potatoes, pasta, anything with bread, like sandwiches, things like that. (Although those darn peanut M & Ms have to stay out of my brain!!!)

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink maybe one soda a week and actually prefer flavoured fizzy water, no sugar. Cannot stand the aftertaste of artificial sweetners.

As far as diet drinks making one crave sugar, I knew a woman that drank a couple of Big Gulp diet Cokes a day and then craved real sugar so pounded back a few chocolate bars.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never tried seltzer. I bet that would be good loaded with lemons. :D I do like the fizzle of a soda and seltzer would fizzle. ;)
Since switching to diet, I ended up not being able to handle juices like Ruby Red & Tangerine. Cutting it with seltzer has made it a lower calorie fun summertime fizzy drink!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had soda in years! LOL. Mainly because I won't consume high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. Well, occasionally I'll have a "gourmet" soda, maybe a true root beer or cream soda, sweetened with real sugar only, but it's been so long that I've lost my taste for fizzy stuff, so I have to get it fairly flat before I can stand it.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hardly ever drink a soft drink. When I do, it is diet Dr. Pepper. But that is maybe twice a month, if that often. I prefer tea, half and half.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a Sodastream about a year ago.  I do mostly diet, but prefer the green tea mixes to regular soda flavors.  After having the sodastream varieties, I don't like the regular ones any more.  I can control how much flavor I want, and the sodium levels are very low if not zero.  Of course, given a choice between soda and a nice chardonnay.........

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Same here. I gave up my favorite Diet Coke over four years ago and don't miss it at all. I've probably had a total of about 8 cans of regular soda (Dr. Pepper or A&W Root Beer or Cream) since then. When I want something cold I drink mineral water, often with a natural fruit flavoring, or homemade iced tea.

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stopped drinking diet because of aspertame. I drink regular Pepsi now. I also like Barq's Root Beer and Dr. Pepper on occasion.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I can't remember the last time I had a soft drink, sugar or diet.  I find the diet ones taste chemically.. not nice at all to my palate.

They are doing big educational campaigns here here on soft drink and obesity (obviously the sugary ones). People don't link the two together as 'it's just a drink' but it's been proven to be one of the biggest problems.

If I want sparkly, mineral water with a drop of rose water or the juice of an orange is my favourite.