Question Of The Day - Tuesday, June 6

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday!

So, for many of us above the hemisphere, summer is on it's way! Which leads to such activities like bonfires and the like. Which reminded me of...

Marshmallows :rockout:

If you are a fan:

How do you like your marshmallows?

Roasted to a crisp on a stick? smooshed in a s'mores sandwich? floating in hot chocolate? baked in a pie?

For me, I do fancy a good roasted marshmallow, to a golden consistency. Though sometimes I'll also enjoy it black, when it is really crispy and gooey. It's also a pleasantly relaxing activity, just chilling out in the cool darkness of nature next to a comfy fire, chatting and nibbling.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chocolate! Chocolate covered marshmallows are the best way.

If I am doing s'mores I need two to sandwich the chocolate between so it melts fully.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like marshmallows, except for perfectly roasted over a fire. Oh, and they're OK in hot cocoa too. But I can't stand the texture of a "raw" marshmallow :lol:. Or when they're gooey over sweet potatoes, ick.

And I don't care for s'mores just because they're usually too thick so everything gooshes out the other side, and hot marshmallow running down your hands is NOT fun. I was once at a campfire where they had "mini s'mores"---mini marshmallows, one block of chocolate, one square of graham cracker---and that worked pretty well, just about bite sized.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them just about any way possible....

The perfect golden gooey marshmallow over a campfire or barbecue works pretty well. I love the big jet puffed marshmallows.

S'mores oh gosh I love s'mores! I'm not a huge graham cracker fan but will eat them.

S'mores poptarts are my favorite flavor. Lucky charm sugared marshmallows...

In hot chocolate. I've been known to eat cold marshmallows as a snack too. And can't forget cereal bars (well rice krispies but we've been known to mix up a few cereals it works well) .. they have to be made with chocolate chips though! Yum!

And marshmallow creme in hot chocolate is absolutely amazing. See I told you I'm a fan. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like them toasted golden brown over a fire.

I can eat one or maybe two smores; but then it's too much sweetness. I'd rather just toast the marshmallows. Sometimes I get it nice and toasty where I can pull off the outside and then toast the middle that's still stuck to my skewer. I bought DH a set of skewers for Father's Day a few years ago to go with our fire pit. It's nicer than finding a stick like we did when I was a kid.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For store-bought marshmallows, only in a s'more. At Christmas and during the colder months when we need lots of hot chocolate, I prefer to make my own marshmallows. And then they are tossed with some Dutch-processed cocoa to cut down on the sweetness. Yum. There is also nothing wrong with marshmallows coated with a bit of toasted coconut.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love marshmallows. Roasted, in cereal,in a s'more with high quality chocolate, in hot chocolate, in a fluffernutter, out of the bag, Fluff on a spoon.

Just found these recently and they are awesome!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never had a s'more or even a toasted marshmallow :paperbag: I eat marshamallows straight out of the bag or in a mug of hot chocolate or in a cereal treat bar.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like marshmallows roasted to a crisp and gooey inside, in Mississippi mud cakes, candied sweet potatoes, and Rice Krispies treats.

I also like them in a cup of hot cocoa on a cold day, which doesn't happen very often where we live. ;-)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOVE marshmallows!
LOVE toasted over fire - crispy outside gooey inside.
LOVE Peeps!
LOVE
LOVE
LOVE
(get the feeling I enjoy them?)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Roasting marshmallows brings back childhood memories of staying up late over summer break and sharing stories with good friends. I like my marshmallows a crisp golden brown.:yummy:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My DH always toasts my marshmallows because he's got the patience to do them perfectly; I always burn them. (Yes, I am spoiled!)

But my favorite way to eat marshmallows is in my Grandma's Peanut Bars - a flour/sugar/butter crust, layer of marshmallows (baked to puff) then a layer of salted peanuts & rice krispies in peanut butter chips melted with butter. They're like a candy bar but better!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, toasted to a gentle golden brown, or set on fire briefly, then blown out, or on top of a sweet potato casserole, or in hot cocoa, or...sometimes I stick a popsicle stick in them, freeze them, and drizzle magic shell over them. OH...and rice crispy treats, too! LOVE marshmallows!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot over sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving... one of my favorite things too. I also like chocolate marshmallow bunnies or the chocolate eggs too for Easter.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Marshmallows are OK. I must live under a rock in the bottom of a cave in Mongolia because I can't remember ever eating s'mores. Maybe it's because I was never a Girl Scout.

In hot chocolate is fine, but you can get scorched by the hot chocolate below. If I have them, I keep replenishing them until they won't melt any more. Thank goodness for a microwave!

Don't even think about polluting sweet potatoes with them!

I've created some pretty good torches while attempting to toast marshmallows and burned my lips when I was too impatient to let them cool. Still, a perfectly toasted marshmallow is like a perfect meringue is to a pie, crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. Good eats!

No rice crispy treats, either. Too much like eating sticky-sweet gravel.

I loathe peeps. My dear departed mother somehow got it into her head that I loved them and later, that my husband did, too. Every Easter she'd buy boxes and boxes of them and proudly present them to us. Of course, after gently telling her a few times that we didn't care for them, we gave up and accepted them gracefully. Then we tossed them in the trash. We still joke about them.

I've made delicious homemade marshmallows, but it's so humid here it's hard for them to dry. Still, they're yummy and you can make all different flavors that you can't get in the stores. After eating homemade, you lose enthusiasm for the store kind.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like marshmallows, but generally don't seek them out. i think it's been decades since i last had a marshmallow.

anyhow, i like them toasted over a fire (place), or a camp fire. i prefer to catch them on fire briefly, then blow the flame out. then i eat the blackened outer shell first, followed by the mushy white inner part of the marshmallow.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a vegetarian I can't eat marshmallows because they have gelatin in them. I could buy vegetarian marshmallows but they are hard to find. Besides, as a kid, I never liked them or smores.

Muffy

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right out of the bag! In Winter I enjoy the small ones on top of my hot chocolate.

And Marshmallow Fluff! Ooooh, give me a Fluffernutter sandwich ANY time! I even add a layer of Nutella between the peanut butter and the Fluff.