Question Of The Day - Tuesday, June 26

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! It is the last Tuesday of June! :shocked: Felt like it went by fast!

Do you like Campfires? If so, what snacks, drinks and meals do you enjoy around a summer campfire?

I like a cold soda, beer or cider, and for foods I really enjoy a wrapped foiled baked potato that was cooked along the coals of a campfire - drizzled with melted butter, or already roasted with bacon and cheese. For something sweet, typical roasted marshmallows.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young we had wonderful barbeques at my aunt and uncles and my sister and I would toast marshmallows when it got dark, it was a lot of fun. I think my sister and I went through an entire bag by ourselves! We would also take requests for anyone wanting a toasted marshmallow and volunteered to do the toasting for them, that was half the fun.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adore campfires… the hypnotic effect of staring at the flames, the intoxicating smell and the crackling sound... nothing more, nothing less...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really enjoy campfires!

in the summertime the smoke from the fire helps to repel mosquitos :argh:. roasted marshmallows are great too! :yummy:

in the winter months, it's wonderful to go cross country skiing, stop at a designated point to start a campfire and enjoy some hot beverages and soup/broth, and then continue with the skiing. :D

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really enjoy campfires anymore because it's too hard to bend over or to sit on the ground. But a favorite meal from the Boy Scouts, which I still make in the kitchen, is hobo stew. Put a hamburger patty in a square of aluminum foil, top with cubed potatoes, and diced onions and tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Close up the foil and place the bundle in the coals to cook. Takes 30-40 minutes to cook. At home, I use smoked sausage instead of hamburger.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do enjoy campfires. I like looking at the flames and poking it with sticks and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.

But I've been to 2 of them this summer, and both times I had a splitting headache the day after. I don't know if that's from the smoke or the sugar hangover from eating s'mores and roasted marshmallows. I suppose I'll have to refrain from eating a lot of sugar at the next campfire to determine if it's the smoke doing that to me or not.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE campfires! They remind me of the days I used to go camping with my family! I could spend hours just watching the flames, listening to it crack.

Marshmallows, that's my favorite snack to have with the fire, roasting them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about building on the marshmallows with Smores? It has been years since I have had a campfire, we usually roasted hot dogs.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love campfires - the one and only good poem that I've ever written was about campfires, and now I can't read it without crying because we can't have campfires in Colorado any longer, and I seriously doubt that this will change during my lifetime. We've been in a continuous drought for this entire century, and I see no sign that this will change.
Unfortunately, campfires are a dirty word up here in the mountains of Arizona.
I'll bet. My son lives in Gypsum, CO, near Vail, and he says two wildfires are visible from his house.
Exactly.

That said, yeah, potatoes baked in the coals and topped with butter and salt, corn on the cob cooked the same way, wrapped in foil and buried in the coals (not that I can eat corn on the cob any more since I no longer have teeth), watermelon cooled in the local stream, hot dogs roasted on a stick, and I'm full and ready for campfire songs. :sigh: I miss campfires.

Margret

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! It is the last Tuesday of June! :shocked: Felt like it went by fast!

Do you like Campfires? If so, what snacks, drinks and meals do you enjoy around a summer campfire?

I like a cold soda, beer or cider, and for foods I really enjoy a wrapped foiled baked potato that was cooked along the coals of a campfire - drizzled with melted butter, or already roasted with bacon and cheese. For something sweet, typical roasted marshmallows.
Oh YES I love camp fires!!!!!!!!!!!!
My preference is fall camp fires though, when it's really chilly but the fire is so nice =)
Snacks....gotta have a s'more, or a roasted marshmallow or hot dog.
In summer camp fires, beer works. In fall camp fires, beer works but hot apple cider or cocoa or even coffee is great!
We went to a bonfire a few years ago, end of September, it was getting cold out and the owner of the property was running out of kindling, so he went into the barn. 10 minutes later the door to the top of the barn opened and he threw an old, icky mattress onto the fire. Holy crap. That was hilarious!
Then I asked him why he had a mattress in the haymow, LOL!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what did he say?

Margret
He got red and started laughing =D
But I knew this guy for years. He used the haymow and barn as storage. It wasn't hoarding, but sometimes farm and ranch folks keep weird stuff for no reason...or good reason, as the mattress kept the fire burning =)

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Campfires are a winter time thing around here because the summers are so hot, even at night, that adding the extra heat of the fire will make your head pop off.

We make camp fires and bundle up with blankets, hats, and warm coco or beer! Typically we'll have had some warm, filling meal inside (like chili) and then will go out to the campfire to drink, tell stories, and play vocal games (like the end of the word game). Sometimes we'll make s'mores but my family mostly uses them to gossip and hang around in the winter.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Campfires are a winter time thing around here because the summers are so hot, even at night, that adding the extra heat of the fire will make your head pop off.

We make camp fires and bundle up with blankets, hats, and warm coco or beer! Typically we'll have had some warm, filling meal inside (like chili) and then will go out to the campfire to drink, tell stories, and play vocal games (like the end of the word game). Sometimes we'll make s'mores but my family mostly uses them to gossip and hang around in the winter.
Summers here are just so short. They can get warm/hot, but fall camp fires are so darned cozy =)
As kids, we'd tell ghost stories. Lame, REALLY lame stories became so much more spooky! Then the scary stories would subside, we'd start telling crazy funny stuff, making it up as we went along (one person starts with a sentence, next person adds the next sentence, and so on) and we'd get so giddy we'd fall asleep!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I do enjoy campfires. I like looking at the flames and poking it with sticks and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.

But I've been to 2 of them this summer, and both times I had a splitting headache the day after. I don't know if that's from the smoke or the sugar hangover from eating s'mores and roasted marshmallows. I suppose I'll have to refrain from eating a lot of sugar at the next campfire to determine if it's the smoke doing that to me or not.
Same here. I used to be a Civil War reenactor, and, after a weekend, I had the worst headaches. I love the smell, though--especially when they fried bacon and brewed coffee over the fire. Oddly,my firepit doesn't cause thie problem, so maybe it's the prolonged exposure to a fire that does it with me.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. I used to be a Civil War reenactor, and, after a weekend, I had the worst headaches. I love the smell, though--especially when they fried bacon and brewed coffee over the fire. Oddly,my firepit doesn't cause thie problem, so maybe it's the prolonged exposure to a fire that does it with me.
We went to a Civil War re-enactment several years ago (10 or so) and I was amazed at how awesome it was, and how it brought us all into the actual time period. It was so well done.
Really cool work =)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a firepit but we don't use it too regularly. It can just be too hot even in the summer. But we do like to make some things over it when we do. My favorite is really just a hot dog. The fire gives it a smokey flavor. I don't eat too many hot dogs; but a good grilled one or done over the fire is a summer thing I have to have at least once or twice. Then I like marshmallows for dessert. Smores are too sweet for me. I can only eat a few marshmallows too. DH will make us popcorn over the fire and that's really good too.

The kids really like when we have a fire out back. Sometimes I get them glow sticks to run around the yard with. Sometimes I've gotten my telescope out. It's a nice way to spend time together.