Question of the day: Tuesday, June 18

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:blobturq: ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM, we all scream for ICE CREAM!!! :blobblue:

[COLOR=#BLUE]Do you have any summer ice cream ritual outings?[/COLOR]

We certainly do! Last summer it was Cold Stone Creamery every Sunday after dinner to make our own bowl of ice cream/candy toppings. This year we head for Dairy Queen every Sunday after dinner. We have a Dairy Queen about 2 miles from our house so we take a "power" walk after dinner to enjoy our ice cream outing. I LOVE the chocolate/vanilla swirl cones and I always get the LARGE!!!!!! :lol3: And, let me tell you, it IS large. :clap: Often, I will get it dipped in chocolate. Larry usually gets the same. Once in awhile we will change it up and share a large blizzard with the added Snicker's and Butterfinger (my favorite candy bar) flavors!!! :drool: :yummy: We really look forward to that each Sunday. Sometimes, we will sneak in an extra outing in the middle of the week too. :happy3:

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Funny you should mention that today! I was just talking to my brother last night....they want us to visit with them sometime this weekend. There's a place called Pepe's in their town. I swear Pepe's has the best gelato in the world. It's just so good and they have all the flavors that I love (which is pretty much anything with lemon: lemonade, strawberry lemonade, raspberry lemonade, among many others). And I can have them with chocolate ice cream or any other flavor I want....it's always some kind of chocolate. A raspberry lemonade gelato made with chocolate ice cream is the crème da la crème of decadent! (And pssssst! I get a large, too!)

There's also a very old Tasty Freeze in town and Rick and I will stop there from time to time. He loves their Red Bull shakes. I love their plain old vanilla ice cream cones. We don't stop there often, but will try to hit the Freeze twice a summer or so. (We used to rent a house right across the street from the Freeze years ago.....Rick and our son would walk over almost every night. I told them that, if they kept that up, by the end of the summer, they'd be able to waddle over!) Now, if I knew we're going to go there, I will forego my dinner that night and have ice cream as my dinner.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(And pssssst! I get a large, too!)

There's also a very old Tasty Freeze in town and Rick and I will stop there from time to time. He loves their Red Bull shakes. I love their plain old vanilla ice cream cones. We don't stop there often, but will try to hit the Freeze twice a summer or so. (We used to rent a house right across the street from the Freeze years ago.....Rick and our son would walk over almost every night. I told them that, if they kept that up, by the end of the summer, they'd be able to waddle over!) Now, if I knew we're going to go there, I will forego my dinner that night and have ice cream as my dinner.
:lol2: :clap::clap: AND - I DO remember Tasty Freeze!! WOW - I haven't seen one of those in a very long time. I also LOVE plain vanilla cones. Sometimes I will stop at McDonald's for coffee and guess what I get along with that. :lol2: YEP - a vanilla cone for .49 cents!!!!!!!!!! Actually, coffee and vanilla cones go very well together and the McDonald's vanilla cone is only 170 calories! ;)

:flail: on the waddling by the end of summer to get the ice cream. That would be dangerous for my waist line if the Tasty Freeze was right there every time I looked out the front window. And, actually, I too have foregone dinner when I know we are going for ice cream. :lol3:

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Does frozen yogurt for lunch count? I usually get them from Cups a few times a week for lunch on a nice hot day :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not for us; I'm not a big ice cream person.  I do enjoy a blizzard here and there or a small bowl at home. But nothing too regularly.

DD however; has trained my parents to get her a small ice cream when they bring her home from her Fridays with them.  She spends the afternoon with them and has dinner and then ice cream motivates her to get in the car to come home. Maybe I shouldn't let them bribe her; but then they are the Grandparents! 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There is a place in the next town that makes amazing homemade ice cream. We try to go at least once during the summer. :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I've been  lactose intolerant sense my 20's, so I can't.
 (unless I want to load up on Lactaid pills)    BUT, today, I was so hot after cleaning a house,

I decided I would stop by the store & buy some Vanilla Rice Dream Ice-Cream to go w/ some blueberries my mom brought me the other day!

I can't wait to have some tonight!!

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I've been  lactose intolerant sense my 20's, so I can't.
 (unless I want to load up on Lactaid pills)    BUT, today, I was so hot after cleaning a house,

I decided I would stop by the store & buy some Vanilla Rice Dream Ice-Cream to go w/ some blueberries my mom brought me the other day!

I can't wait to have some tonight!!
Try the non-dairy ice cream made from coconut milk. It is so much better than the Rice Dream. It is really creamy. I have been dairy free for many years. 

I haven't actually went out for ice cream for two years. In Seattle they actually have parlors that make and sell non-dairy ice cream. I usually only get to purchase from the store and eat it at home. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the non-dairy ice cream made from coconut milk. It is so much better than the Rice Dream. It is really creamy. I have been dairy free for many years. 

I haven't actually went out for ice cream for two years. In Seattle they actually have parlors that make and sell non-dairy ice cream. I usually only get to purchase from the store and eat it at home. 
Oh, I have & it is good! Especially the pomegranate choc. chip!!!!  BUT, it bothers me too. Coconut is an "avoid" for me according to the "Eat Right 4 Your (blood)  Type, so I rarely get it.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not really, I have it with warm cake if ive been out for a meal, theres just something about the melting of the icecream over a piece of hot chocolate fudge cake

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually go to a local place called Bonanza Freeze. They have cone night (which is super cheap) every Wednesday night and every flavor you can imagine to choose from. But we don't go there often! And usually buy ice cream any way.
We're going to a diner next weekend for my mom's birthday and they have amazing shakes. I think I will try the rocky road shake this time! The s'mores one I had twice in 2011 was awesome.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
No ritual, but frozen yogurt is usually my choice.  I like the "make your own" places ... I usually get pistachio, chocolate, and maybe a fruit flavor swirled into a cup.  Then I can't resist topping with a toffee crunch of some sort.

A few years ago, some folks in my hubby's industry decided to open their own ice cream shop. 

It was very unique.

You could literally choose your "milk base"; milk, cream, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, and a couple others. 

Then you could choose how to flavor your ice cream; chocolate, vanilla, various fruits and sweets.

Then you could pick things to mix into your flavored ice cream, or to top it off.

You would hand your "order" to the gal at the counter, and they would literally make it up right there!  They had nitrogen ice cream machines set up to do the job.

Unfortunately, the product was a bit on the expensive side.  Also, their space was... awkward.  Eventually, they closed up shop.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does frozen yogurt for lunch count? I usually get them from Cups a few times a week for lunch on a nice hot day :)
Absolutely that would count as an "outing"!! I love having frozen yogurt lunches! :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago, some folks in my hubby's industry decided to open their own ice cream shop. 
It was very unique.
You could literally choose your "milk base"; milk, cream, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, and a couple others. 
Then you could choose how to flavor your ice cream; chocolate, vanilla, various fruits and sweets.
Then you could pick things to mix into your flavored ice cream, or to top it off.
You would hand your "order" to the gal at the counter, and they would literally make it up right there!  They had nitrogen ice cream machines set up to do the job.
Unfortunately, the product was a bit on the expensive side.  Also, their space was... awkward.  Eventually, they closed up shop. :sniffle:
I have seen those machines before at a trade show in Chicago - The National Restaurant Association show. Very cool!! That must have been a great ice cream shop and I can see why the price would need to be a bit high. Bummer it didn't last. :(

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Can I do my Winter ice cream ritual?  It involves hot butterscotch self-saucing pudding and pure, rich vanilla icecream.

In fact I can feel a ritual coming on right now...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I do my Winter ice cream ritual?  It involves hot butterscotch self-saucing pudding and pure, rich vanilla icecream.

In fact I can feel a ritual coming on right now... :soldier:
:cold: THAT'S right!!!!! :lol3: Of course you can and actually, we have a year-round ice cream ritual outing. In the winter, though, we drive to get out treats. :D OH does the above sound heavenly. :drool: :clap:

Last edited: