Question of the Day - Tuesday, July 29

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning/afternoon/evening to all! :)

What is your favourite and least favourite insect?

Favourite: Butterflies, ladybugs, dragonflies and bumblebees (Very dainty sounding, I know!)

Least favourite: Mosquitoes, horseflies and millipedes/centipedes. And of course anything that could kill a person or creature instantly.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like butterflies the most.

And I dislike practically all the others.
Centipedes, millipedes, cockroaches, and mosquitoes have a special pit of loathe in my heart.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most favorites are wooly bear caterpillars, lightning bugs and ladybugs.
Hate spiders, roaches, centipedes,flies and most other bugs.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Dragonflies and spiders

I can't stand roaches or centipedes, millipedes and anything with more than 8 legs.

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Least favorite is mosquitoes, for sure. Not only are they the deadliest animal on earth, but I am allergic to the junk they inject in your skin so you don't know they are biting you. Bites stay very itchy for two weeks! I have trained myself not to scratch but boy, do I hate those itchy bites. (Hint: epsom salt baths are great to help take the itch out!)

Favorite are beetles, the metallic-colored ones are just surreal, also ladybugs are very cool. Even though they squirt foul-smelling yellow blood from their knees to repel predators, they eat aphids and don't bite people, so in my book they are ok.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Least favorite:  a bee or wasp and roaches. 

Most favorite:    lady bugs.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Favourite: None. They are all gross and I don't like any of them. I tolerate them, but I don't like them.

Least Favourite: Centipedes and spiders because they are nasty and boxelder bugs because there is never just 1. There's usually tons of them.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, spiders technically are not insects... (though they terrify me). YAY ARACHNOPHOBIA! I literally burst into tears if I see one big enough.  All little ones I just call for the boyfriend to squash.

I really don't think I could pick ONE single least favorite.
Maggots ewwww ew ew ew. 
Ants ughhhh.
Mosquitoes can't seem to get enough of me, annoying!

And a favorite... well none. Though I do find Dung Beetles (aka Scarabs) quite interesting. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Favourite: None. They are all gross and I don't like any of them. I tolerate them, but I don't like them.

Least Favourite: Centipedes and spiders because they are nasty and boxelder bugs because there is never just 1. There's usually tons of them.
Ditto.

I was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider when I lived in Florida.  Was hiding in my pant leg.  By the time I got home from work my entire leg had blown up.  Went to doctor the next day and by coincidence, the guy in the room next to me had been bitten also, and ignored it for a couple of weeks.  Necrosis of the skin had set in, was utterly disgusting.  The doctor told me I was smart for coming to see him so quickly.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ants.  DARN IT I hate ants.  As some members have found out, once they find a way into your home, you just about have to burn your home down to get rid of them.  I hate palmetto bugs too.  They're big, fast, and creepy.  Cats find them tasty though!  Insect or not, I will almost hurt myself trying to get away from spiders. 

Favorites are probably butterflies and ladybugs.  Dung beetles are cool to watch and very useful if you have a farm.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ants.  DARN IT I hate ants.  As some members have found out, once they find a way into your home, you just about have to burn your home down to get rid of them.  I hate palmetto bugs too.  They're big, fast, and creepy.  Cats find them tasty though!  Insect or not, I will almost hurt myself trying to get away from spiders. 

Favorites are probably butterflies and ladybugs.  Dung beetles are cool to watch and very useful if you have a farm.
All of my yes peaches. Ants down here are SO freaking bad. Especially the fire ants, and the bites hurt like hell!
That's exactly why I said Dung Beetles too.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my yes peaches. Ants down here are SO freaking bad. Especially the fire ants, and the bites hurt like hell!
That's exactly why I said Dung Beetles too.
Until I moved down here, I never saw fire ants in the house.  Only here have ants barged into my home and raided my place looking for food.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my favorite insects would be butterflies and ladybugs, though i don't mind bees either.

my least favorite bugs are may flies, mosquitoes, red or yellow ants (they bite), moths (because they chew on my curtains/drapes), and spiders (except daddy long legs, they're ok -- but my snick always hunts these at night and i find the legs on the kitchen floor in the morning).

bugs really love me. bees like to hover around the backs of my knees when i'm gardening or doing yard work, but they never sting me. mosquitoes would eat me alive if they could, so i rarely am outdoors from dusk on.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have a favourite insect. I hate to see fleas or cat lice, and lice are worse than fleas because I know I'm going to go cross-eyed picking them off the kitten or kittens who are afflicted. Its easier with a bot knife, but you end up with a thin-coated kitten for awhile...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also love butterflies, dragonflies and ladybugs

hate: anything from the cockroach family especially palmetto bugs. if you're not from the southern US, imagine an oversized cockroach that can fly. they are water bugs. fire ants, mosquitoes and flies

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Favorite: I know spiders aren't insects but everyone lumps them in so I'm going with spiders, specifically tarantulas! I care for 6 of them now and they are so cool! Also mantids, have always loved them. I guess I really love bugs in general. :D

Least favorite: Crickets! I like them as bugs but caring for them as feeders is horrible. Crickets poop a lot and smell like death. The chirping from the males doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lightning bugs are among my favorites. We used to love to catch them when we were kids. And now, Muffin and I will sit out on the back deck on a warm, humid night and watch them flit around the back yard.

Least? Probably any kind of spider or fly. Or anything that can get into the house.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite would be lady bugs.  I like to look at butterflies; but I'd prefer they don't touch me!  I enjoy watching the lightning bugs too.  I felt bad a couple weeks ago one flew in the house and I didn't realize what it was till I swatted it with the fly swatter.  They look a lot bigger inside than when they are out in my backyard!! 

Least favorite; anything else!  I like the ones that are beneficial to my gardens; I just don't need to see them to appreciate them. 

Quote:

Least favorite is mosquitoes, for sure. Not only are they the deadliest animal on earth, but I am allergic to the junk they inject in your skin so you don't know they are biting you. Bites stay very itchy for two weeks! I have trained myself not to scratch but boy, do I hate those itchy bites. (Hint: epsom salt baths are great to help take the itch out!)

Favorite are beetles, the metallic-colored ones are just surreal, also ladybugs are very cool. Even though they squirt foul-smelling yellow blood from their knees to repel predators, they eat aphids and don't bite people, so in my book they are ok.
I mean to come back to this thread last night.  We think our son is allergic to mosquitoes.  I had to take him to the pediatrician last week.  Sunday night he came in with a small bump on his cheek that looked like a small mosquito bite.  Monday morning it was a big red welt and it slowly spread up to his eye over the course of the day and got redder.  By the next morning his eye was swollen along with it!!  He still looks like he has a bit of a shiner and still a red dot where the initial bite was.  
  A couple weeks before that he was stung by something on his ear.  It also looked like a mosquito bite at first.  But then by the next morning his whole ear was swollen and red.  It wasn't till it was going down that I could see 3-4 sting marks.  My poor baby. 
  His doctor said to give Benadryl.  Mosquito bites on his arms and legs leave nice welts; but not like what has happened on his face!

catinmyhat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Favorite:Butterfies, lady bugs and fire flies but all at a faraway distance please!

Least Favorite: Everything else, especially if it has more than 4 legs!!