Question of the Day - Tuesday, July 28

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Hello! Happy Tuesday!

Is there is a specific smell/fragrance that brings you back to a happy memory?

For me at the moment, walking on the busy street on a hot sunny day with the smell of cigarettes in the air. Reminds me of my trip to Rome :lol: totally transports me back for a moment, when I would walk around said city back in the summer of 2018. It's funny considering I don't care for the scent of ciggies, but somehow in this case it provides fond memories.

I have other examples of course, but lately that has been one that popped up this summer!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tea tree oil reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • fresh cut grass and sun tan lotion! Reminds me of long summer days on soccer fields playing/refereeing tournaments
  • wet trees/raining: reminds me of the semester I spent in Ireland
  • There are others, but they sort of happen instantly and then fade away quickly. Like, I'll get a smell and think of what it reminds me of, and then it's gone.
  • These days just taking off the mask and smelling fresh air is such a luxury. The disposable masks we use here really don't let in smells at all unless they're very strong (cigarette smoke, kimchi, fish, etc.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fresh-cut hay. It reminds me of when I was a kid growing up on a dairy farm.

I love the smell of fresh cut hay :cloud9: Brings back college memories. I spent a lot of time at the college farm.

My great aunt had this huge china cabinet mostly filled with knickknacks. The inside of the cabinet had this particular perfumy scent. When mom helped my aunt downsize, she bought home a bar of really old fancy type soap and said that's what scented the cabinet for years.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My grandma's home when I was young. She would always cook my sister and my favorite dishes when our family came over.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the smell of fresh cut hay :cloud9: Brings back college memories. I spent a lot of time at the college farm.

My great aunt had this huge china cabinet mostly filled with knickknacks. The inside of the cabinet had this particular perfumy scent. When mom helped my aunt downsize, she bought home a bar of really old fancy type soap and said that's what scented the cabinet for years.
We have one here in MO called College of the Ozarks..."hard work u",and they have a beautiful working farm that the students run.Wonderful place!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petrichor reminds me of my husband. It reminds me of the way he normally smells.
Red clover reminds me of taking my kids for drives during the summer to look at fireflies in all the fields by our house.
Chai tea makes me think of the first time I kissed my husband.
Henna mixed with cardamom and cloves reminds me of when I used to belly dance at summer festivals.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Italian spices - garlic, basil, fennel, and olive oil remind me of my grandparents home. It always had that wonderful smell regardless of what they were cooking.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes. I love the smell of boxwoods when the sun is shining on them. It reminds me so much of Mount Vernon where they are everywhere, some planted by George himself. The beauty of the place makes everything seem peaceful.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The smell of the launderette, particularly if it's raining. I love the smell of the detergent and the warm, steamy feel of being in a launderette reminds me of when I was a little kid. A weekly trip to do the laundry was part of our routine and my brother, sister and I always got our favourite sweets to eat while we waited for the washing to be done.

Nag Champa incense. Has to be the Satya Sai Baba brand in the blue box. It reminds me of my teens and early twenties when I used to burn it all the time in my room.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The smell of rain on trees always takes me back to my teens and twenties, when I spent a lot of time in forests. The little town we now live in is surrounded by forests, so you'd think I'd no longer make that connection.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The scent of Coppertone always brings back loving memories of my mother
and I swimming and sunning, also Chanel Number 5 for the same reason.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm similar to jcat jcat ... as a kid we'd go to tropical places and walk in the rainforest... when there's a little moisture in the air and there's all that freshness. 💗