Question of the Day - Tuesday, July 12

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday Everyone! 🌼 🌺

What's a character you didn't like as a child, but as an adult you understand?

King Triton, Little Mermaid - You realize how logical he was throughout the whole Little Mermaid movie for obvious reasons lol
Squidward, Spongebob Squarepants - Also speaks for itself

Now I actually didn't dislike the character or anything, felt mainly neutral - just didn't have a lot of understanding at the time, thanks in due part to more fairy tale-like sources of media (I was very young when I first saw the 1994 movie - read the actual book a little later) but Professor Bhaer from Little Women. I thought Jo should have married the other younger and "dashing" dude, and was somewhat upset it didn't happen and didn't comprehend why she would say no but go for the "Old guy". Now I totally get it; Bhaer was intellectual, stimulating, educated, interesting, committed/loyal, gentle and accepting of a intellectual and modern woman as his equal and form a partnership. Obviously different adaptations or opinions vary, but for an independent lady living in 1860's it makes sense overall - compared to the flashy whimsy and likely not as secure of another love interest.

I feel like I have other examples in my head somewhere but memory evades. Anyway, your turn!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally agree with you on King Triton. He seemed so mean and he didn't understand. Now I'm a mom! Ha! :lol:

I didn't like Professor Bhaer either. Now as an adult I get it; but I still don't like his character. Even while seeing young adult Laurie was also an immature idiot (like most of us at that age) and how as a man he was a better fit for Amy than Jo. I think the romantic in me will always root for the childhood sweethearts. (DD just read Little Women last month. I'm going to ask her what she thinks of the characters!)

I'm going to have to think about it some more...

Oh! Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh. :flail: He was such a grump. Between parenthood and gardening and society in general...I get him! :flail:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough one, as when I was a kid, back in the 50s, there wasn't much in the way of redeeming qualities in the villains of the day, save maybe Ebeneezer Scrooge- the Alistair Sim version, that is. Things were more black and white, with few shades of gray involved, and the characters reflected that.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar the Grouch
Hyenas from The Lion King
Sally Field's character in Mrs. Doubtfire
Meredith from the Parent Trap
The Vice Principal from The Breakfast Club
Sarah Silverman's character in The School of Rock
The Baroness from the Sound of Music

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The wizard in the Wizard of Oz - as a child I thought he wasn't very nice or friendly to Dorothy but when I was older I realized why he acted the way he did.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't like Batman as a kid and sometimes even now. But, given the darkness and injustice he faced as a young child and how he witnessed his parents' murders, and is still dealing everyday as an adult and superhero, I want to fully embrace and understand his position.

Then again, I laud that even in such darkness and despair, he chose to be a caped crusader.