Question of the Day - Tuesday, January 5

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Welcome to the first Tuesday of 2021! :jive:

Where is the most uncomfortable (Or strangest) place you've ever slept?

Most uncomfortable - Common answer, but flying during a red eye flight. Not the most comfy! Travel pillows limited in their assistance. Same with long sprints on trains. Couple of uncomfortable sleepovers at friends houses too. One time wacked my head on a dvd player.

Strangest is from what my mom told me: After blue berry picking in Finland with my extended family, I fell asleep in a barrel of blueberries. Head down with my bum in the air. I was around 2 years old at the time. Guess I felt quite the rapport with those blueberries :lol: Nothing too crazy or strange, but hey, here is to fruit 🍇

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve slept- Or, rather, not slept-the night in a recliner that was old and broken and barely reclined. Also, in Wyoming, I slept in this - there’s a name for it, but I can’t think of it- half cabin, half tent sort of thing. I had a little cot that was tiny and on wood. I was very uncomfortable the whole night.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably sleeping on the train. Sleeper cars are really expensive so except for a trip across Canada I have always just gotten a regular coach seat for two night, three day travel. Train seats do recline slightly more than an airplane seat but still not that comfortable and there is always the noise of people walking by. On one trip there was a child running back and forth down the aisle all night as the rest of the passengers and I tried to sleep. Somewhere around two or three in the morning I shot my arm out and grabbed him and said in my meanest mom voice that he was to go sit down. Passengers I thought were sleeping cheered and we had a quiet rest of the night.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On one of our first ever desert trips and all well equipped but very inexperienced we stopped at dusk part way across a big cattle station (ranch) and set up our little one man tents near a water bore and cattle trough. Had our dinner and all went to bed.
Woke up in the morning with something warm and heavy crushing in the side of my tent and stuck my head out the tent and found about 30-40 half wild cattle had settled down for the night amongst our tents.
As soon as we all started to move the cattle panicked and motorbikes and pots and pans and tents went everywhere.
Slept real good but the waking up was pretty scary..lol
From then on we camped well away from any water source on the cattle stations.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most uncomfortable was on a camping trip when my air mattress sprung a leak, leaving me flat on the ground, with rocks and tree roots poking seemingly everywhere.
Strangest was when I was a little kid. My mother said that she was trying to find me, without success. Then, she went outside and saw our mongrel dog was sitting by the rear of our Farmall model H tractor. As the dog went everywhere I did, she looked further and found me curled up and sleeping on the seat. Over the years she repeated the story many times, so I have to take her word for it as I was too young to remember on my own.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely most uncomfortable is red eye flight, middle seat, packed plane.

I slept in a bivouac on an island off the coast of Antarctica. Idk if that counts as strangest, but was most memorable.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
On a cot at my friend's house as a kid. The cot was uncomfortable, but the oddest thing was going on. The bed was making strange movements. I was scared, but I worked up the nerve to turn on the light and was shocked to see that it was my friend's dog who got into the room and was using the metal frame under the cot as a back scratcher! Poor baby, he had an itch he needed to scratch.🤣😂🤣

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fell asleep in the second row at a Fred Hammond concert once. Not too deeply or anything but our youth pastor didn’t know what to make of us after that trip. :lol: It had been a long youth retreat and Gospel music wasn’t my thing. (I enjoy it more now.) Plus; teenagers are weird.

That was the concert someone clobbered me in the head when they were tossing tshirts out and that was kind of the last straw. To sleep I went! 🤪

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We once had to take a military plane. The seats were on the sides of the plane, and naturally not comfortable at all.
I've been on those! The scariest was when the (massive) cargo in the middle of the plane moved a few inches and clunked against the chains every time the plane moved!

We were on an overnight ferry in Japan once. They didn't have beds; everybody slept on the floor. I was just a kid and slept ok, I don't know how much my mom slept though. We also spent a lot of nights in the air terminal, waiting to get on a space-a cargo flight. (Adults were not allowed to sleep in the military air terminals, idk why exactly. I suppose they were trying to "encourage" you to get a room at the Navy Lodge, but that was usually full when we traveled. The USO lounge would let people sleep in there if there was room, and for civilian mothers there was sometimes a kids' playroom they could nap in. But active-duty members were just NOT allowed to sleep in the terminal, and they did enforce that.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most uncomfortable: the table bed of the RV my parents had when we were growing up. The table could be lowered and converted into a bed using the cushions from the bench. It was uncomfortable because I have always been tall so I never could sleep on it without having to be curled up and sometimes I just wanted to stretch out!
Most unusual: In a cardboard box. It was for a homelessness awareness thing that the Catholic Campus Ministry was doing when I was in college and I was very ill-prepared when it came to blankets, so when the temperatures dipped below freezing, my 2 measly blankets were not cutting it. I ended up going inside and sleeping on the couch of the ministry and getting super creeped out by all of the religious stuff (I am not at all religious). You may ask why I even did it when it was being held by the CCM...well I had a crush on one of the guys doing it.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmm...I've slept in some strange and uncomfortable places before, but that's what you get when you travel with an entire sports club (I've learned my lesson though, and now make my own reservations for away tournaments and usually spoil myself)
Let's see...
-In a yurt in Terelj national park (Mongolia)
-the overnight Megabus/Greyhounds from St. Paul to Chicago
-Squished between two very large strange men on a redeye flight from Korea to Malaysia (6ish hours) on a budget airline that didn't let you even bring your own food or drink
-in the same bed with another girl whom I hadn't even met yet (sports!)
-in a mixed dorm with some very gassy and drunk male members of our sports club...ended up sleeping in the guesthouse's common room instead, lol
-at a metal concert (more than once...that heavy bass drum just puts me out like a lightbulb)
I'm sure there are probably others!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most uncomfortable was in a friend's second floor bedroom on a hot October night in Arizona. It must have been 80 degrees in there and even after I got out from under the sheet, I was tossing and turning and couldn't sleep.

Most unusual was in a camper set up on the ground in a parking lot ( the kind that goes on the top of your truck bed ). I had volunteered to watch it for friends. Thank goodness I had my car and could get out and go somewhere.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In a yurt in Terelj national park (Mongolia)
Oh, me too! I love that place. I found the yurts really cosy. Did you ride ponies there?

I have slept for a few hours on the floor of Osaka train station, waiting for the first trains to start running. Does that count? I've also slept in a marquee at Glastonbury festival. No sleeping bag or anything, just on the ground sheet in a big marquee. Neither of those were very comfortable.

I've also slept in a tree house, a converted bus and a hammock on the veranda of a ranch. All very nice, apart from the bugs.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I "think" it was in a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN. The cabin was infested will centipedes/millipedes and I was scared to fall asleep for fear of one of them crawling on me during the night. We called the rental company to let them know. Their response... "It's in the woods. What do you expect?" We told them that we live in a house in the woods and by no means is our house infested with any sort of bugs or critters. They said, "Ok, we will take care of it." We were leaving that day so no idea if the problem was fixed for the next person.