Question Of The Day - Tuesday, February 26

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings Everyone!

What is a topic that you know NOTHING about, and when someone else starts talking about it you are completely lost or blank?

For me it would be mathematics or tech/computer programming stuff.

And for example, I have a co worker who is very techy - absolutely loves chatting about it, asking questions and showing me things. But I just go completely o_O in my head. He is wonderfully friendly and I am happy that he is passionate, but I never know how to respond :lol:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is also math. Which is sad since I was in finance for over 25 years. However, finance and math are not the same.
Also game coding. My son is trying to make a video game and keeps talking to me about the coding...like I know what he's talking about. I understand computers, but coding I just don't get. The problem is that he wants me to do the music for it because I know music (like which rock band sings what), I wouldn't know where to begin with composing or coding it.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Engineering. My husband and my son and his wife are all engineers. But if someone starts talking about it, I can't concentrate.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read so much, about so many different things, that the list of things I'm not at least aware of is rather short. Two things I'm completely clueless about, however, are soccer and video gaming, because I never could conjure up any interest in either.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most everything, actually :p But start talking about celebrity gossip and throwing all these names of famous people around, my eyes glaze over. I'll butt in and say "remember Richard Dawson?" and then if it's a young person, they get that deer in headlights glazed over look and I walk away like a boss :flail:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Economics, Finance. I started seeing a financial planner and I basically told him, "you will have to explain things to me like I am a child. Small words but really descriptive."

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My answer here is also football. I tried and tried to learn the rules. I never did. Furthermore, I never had anyone who could explain it to me. Do people really know the rules? :headscratch:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Living with a die-hard football fan for almost 50 years now, I "get" football. I understand the rules and the plays and all that. I just don't care about any of it and it's really hard for me to act interested. Rick will start talking to me about it and it's not long til my eyes glaze over.

Same with Fantasy Football. Rick will tell me about his league and, while I sit there and say, "Oh wow!" or "Huh, wonder why they did that?" I'm really thinking, "So how long do I have to sit here and act like I care?".

And I get it from work, too. One of my co-workers is also a die-hard football fan and Fantasy Football fan. He goes through all his players, talks to me about all of it, until I say, "Enough! I can't listen to this anymore!" and walk away. Five minutes later, he's back in my office, talking to me about his team. Again.

I hate football season, for the Fantasy Football alone.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely hopeless when it comes to math. The funny thing is that accounting and statistics were my best subjects in college. But those kinds of numbers made perfect sense to me. General math, not so much.

I'm also pretty clueless about gardening. It's just something that never interested me, and I've always felt like a fish out of water when people would ooh and aah over that sort of thing. But now that my elderly parents can no longer take care of their yard like they used to, I'm trying to make an effort to learn -- especially after I almost pulled up my mom's rain lilies because I thought they were weeds! :lol:

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can fake most things I'm not knowledgeable about or ask a few questions and try to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but sports is a no go. If someone starts talking about sports teams and player positions I'm all like..............
fascinating-02rp9a.jpg

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cricket. I used to work with two guys who were avid cricket fans and am sure my eyes would glaze over every time the subject came up.