Question of the day: Tuesday, February 12

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2: :heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2::heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2: :heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2: :heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2::heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2: :heart3: :kisskiss: :Tilt Heart: :kiss: :heart2:

Since Valentines day is coming up in two days, I was wondering and thinking about something. What was it that first attracted me to my husband (of 27 years now) when I first met him back in May of 1984. We met in a health club bar (yep, back then health clubs had night clubs too :lol3:) I loved the fact that he was a big guy, not fat, but all muscle, bulky and tall. I am tall and it always bothered me to have a boyfriend the same height or slightly taller than me. I also have fairly large hands and absolutely hated it if a boyfriends hands were the same size as mine. My hubby's hands were HUGE!! So that was a plus. Then there was his laugh!!! :lol2: I LOVED his laugh and the tone of his voice. :love: I also loved his mustache!!! (but glad he doesn't have one anymore. :lol:) He struck me to the core and I think it was love at first sight. :heart3:

:heart4:What are a few characteristics, personality or appearance, that immediately drew you to your Valentine sweetheart the first time you met?:heart3:

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was love at first sight for us, too! I liked that he is smarter than me, but I can't say that any particular physical things drew me in... in fact, when I met my husband-to-be he had LONG curly, thick hair (every woman who saw him asked herself why does a GUY get that hair?), a full beard, and glasses. Really, all you could see were his eyes, sort of, lol. 

After we'd been together about 8 years, he decided to cut his hair short, shave the beard, and get contacts. OMG, I was stunned, he's GORGEOUS! He still has a full head of hair cut he keeps it cut very short; for 6 years now he's been working out 6 days a week and he's a just a hunk, he just is, I'm not bragging. He just keeps getting better and better! 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was love at first sight for us, too! I liked that he is smarter than me, but I can't say that any particular physical things drew me in... in fact, when I met my husband-to-be he had LONG curly, thick hair (every woman who saw him asked herself why does a GUY get that hair?), a full beard, and glasses. Really, all you could see were his eyes, sort of, lol. 

After we'd been together about 8 years, he decided to cut his hair short, shave the beard, and get contacts. OMG, I was stunned, he's GORGEOUS! He still has a full head of hair cut he keeps it cut very short; for 6 years now he's been working out 6 days a week and he's a just a hunk, he just is, I'm not bragging. He just keeps getting better and better! :lol3:
:clap::clap: That is a great story. Guess you didn't really know what was underneath all of that hair! I will say, even after 27 years, my hubby gets better looking too. Although, :think:, that could be because my eyesight is going. :flail:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started a thread called How did you meet your mate ?  About the same as this one but I'll tell you here too; I met my husband March 3,1978,got engaged March 11,1978 and May 24,1978 we were married. He picked me up from school on my lunch break and we went to the courthouse. Mom & Dad didn't like it too much and I didn't complete the 10th grade.

dejolane

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides having a crush on my BF when we were early friends, what truly attracted me to him was how caring and supportive he was while I was going through a very rough time after being involved in a fatal racing accident in November 2011. Annnnd he was cute! (And I was never really attracted to guys with longer hair before). I went to hang out with him one day to work on a car with him, and we talked for 10 hours straight. It was easy and felt right. I admitted I had feelings at the end of those 10 hours, and he sort of hinted at feelings on his end. I worried about losing him as the best friend he had become in the previous month, because I was taken, and he had just finished telling me earlier in the day's conversation that he wasn't interested in a girlfriend. Our relationship moved quickly and fell into place as though we'd been together for years. He always tells me I'm the only one and if it doesn't work out, he's truly done with relationships. I also love that he claims I drive him crazy, but he loves me just as much.

I also really enjoy that my grandma approves and loves him so much too. She always tells me I've upgraded. She loved my ex too, but also says the current BF treats me better and loves me more than my ex ever did. I hold her opinion highly, and know she would tell me like it is.

Last edited:

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 15 and he was 17.

He could vault onto a running horse bareback,  run up behind his horse and vault on like in the movies.  That sure impressed a 15 year old girl.

After other marriages for both of us, we married 38 years later. 

He still is a great rider, and will always be my cowboy.  (that is his horses name too)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I met DH on an online dating service. I really wasn't interested in dating (I was heavily into Civil War reenacting, and enjoyed being unattached), but my motherly friends kept bugging me to find a boyfriend. I had plenty of opportunities with my fellow CW guys, but wanted someone "normal"!  Guess what DH was into? Yep.

Anyway, I was equally attracted to the fact that he was a Marine (sigh...) AND loved his cat, Jasmine!  He sent  me pictures of his fave things: his Jeep and his cat. That clinched it for me!

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I can say it was love at first sight with us.  Yesterday (when this thread started),  there were 13 years since we first met, on February 12, 2000. We met  on a blind date and it was an immediate match.   He was so warm and far from any nonsense or fake, just true, warm, interesting, and as I also found out later, supporting, helpful, generous and many other qualities.  The first thing I thought of when we first met, was the warm eyes and we had the  same sense of humor and could talk for hours, even though we just met.

We  met at a restaurant downtown, and hours there, we has just purchased another bottle of wine. It is generally the rule that people don't take bottles of wine out of restaurants or bring alcohol in,  but as we just bought it and the restaurant was closing, the waiter suggested we took it with us, which we did.  We thought of going to any nearby pub and continue talking, but the bottle of wine was a problem, so we went to my place, a few minutes walk and talked through the night.  As soon as we got in, Pollýanna came and sat in his lap and didn't leave, and she was not a "stranger person", where as Feykirófa is the curious one and "talks to" everyone and seeks attention from everyone, stranger or  not.  I was sure that Pollýanna was letting me know that she accepted this new guest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love all your stories! 

I wasn't drawn to my DH the first time we met.  I was just interested in getting home and falling into bed.  I'd been in the car for 10 hours that day plus attending a wedding and reception.  I was exhausted.  He was not dressed nice or anything.  But as I drove away I knew he was the man I'd marry.  I hadn't even gotten out of my car.  Just given him a wave and driven off.  But I can still picture him in my mind; right down to his bike and the trash bag he was carrying.  Back then if I'd described what I found attractive it wouldn't have been included a green eyed, red head in the military.  Tall and lean, yes.  But I always figured I'd marry an Italian (like the rest of my family) or maybe someone with blue eyes.  Now I know better! 
  We are coming up on our 10 year wedding anniversary and I love him now more than ever.  His red hair is turning white prematurely (just found out he can thank his Grandma for that) but it makes him look blond right now instead of red.  He's starting to get smile lines around his eyes.  Who knew those could be so sexy?? 
  But go figure...our kids are blond with blue eyes.  I'm a brunette. 

I didn't see him again for a few months; but THEN I was definitely attracted.  He was dressed better (hehe) and I got to be around him.  His reserved but mischievous personality drew me in.  I could never stand to be around someone who talked constantly or had to be going places (like clubs or bars or something).  I'm a home-body.  His feathers don't ruffle to easily.  He is the calm to my storm.  He was (is) tall and lean with a strong jawline and small cleft in his chin...just...manly.  And good lips.  Before he was mine a few girls commented on other physical attributes....  but I'll keep it family friendly. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I will say, even after 27 years, my hubby gets better looking too. Although,
, that could be because my eyesight is going.
Oh Lauren!

I met Dear Richard at a sledding party in the neighborhood; he had just moved in a few months before. I was 14 and he was 17. Well, long story short, we married....I was 16 years old and he was 19. We've been married almost 42 years (at the end of this April.......his birthday is May 4th; I tell him that I was his birthday present that year! It's the birthday present that never ends!).

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: Oh Lauren!

I met Dear Richard at a sledding party in the neighborhood; he had just moved in a few months before. I was 14 and he was 17. Well, long story short, we married....I was 16 years old and he was 19. We've been married almost 42 years (at the end of this April.......his birthday is May 4th; I tell him that I was his birthday present that year! It's the birthday present that never ends!).
WOW, Pam!! :lol3: You must have made a beautiful bday present for him!!! Congrats. It is amazing that you have been married for 42 years and are only in your fifties. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

p.s. GUESS WHAT!! Larry and I met on MAY 4, 1984!!! May 4 is a special day for us too. :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your great love stories. Thank you for sharing! I am enjoying this thread. :nod: :heart3:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband had a 1974 GTO it was blue with glitter and a maural on the truck.It was hot.

dejolane