Question of the Day - Tuesday, December 29

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Last Tuesday of 2020! Wow, crazy isn't it?

What’s the most interesting building you’ve ever seen or been in?

Probably the most obvious one, but the Colosseum. It was beyond amazing because not only was I able to visit the various levels of the open stadium and audience areas, but went underground to the Hypogeum. The place where the animals, workers and wooden elevators etc would have been, all lead by an archaeologist tour guide. So special! Another one is of course the Vatican.

Kutna Hora, Prague Castle, Terezin Concentration Camp, Trinity College and Hofburg Palace with Sisi Museum and Kaiser apartments are also magically mooshed in together in a Top 3 list! Definitely have more bucket lists for the future, once the current situation has disappeared and we can travel again. 🙏

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say the White House. My school class went there on a field trip when John Kennedy was President. We were hoping we would see him but we didn't. We got to see the Oval 0ffice, The Blue Room and the Abe Lincoln Room among others. They were beautiful but I liked the outside the best. It was so majestic.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess it would be the Sky Dome (now called the Rogers Center), in Toronto, Ontario. I haven't been to many historical places or traveled out of country (except Florida), so not much to choose from.
1609263470589.png
1609263532030.png
1609263557405.png

It was the first of it's kind when built in 89? (I think) in that had a retractable roof.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been to Europe. I really want to tour a proper European castle. We went to several Japanese castles when I was small, but I don't remember a lot about them.

The history here is very young, 150 years tops. Even the Natives in the area didn't build things but were nomadic so they didn't leave a lot of infrastructure around to look at.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most interesting one I have been in was what seemed a typical Australian farmhouse built maybe around 1880,s.
The give away was it was much larger than normal and built of brick and local quarried stone.
All the paths and verandas around the house were made of those little tiles cream and terracotta all done in intricate patterns and same with the entrance hallway. (Cant think of what you call it but is a work of art.) Inside the floors were Jarrah which is a timber that polishes up to a deep super shiny red and the walls were paneled with western red cedar.The cornices and skirting boards were all carved and shaped..all the doors were paneled and some still had the original crystal glass door knobs and brass work hinges and edges.
It had an under ground cellar outside that could also be accessed by a tunnel from the kitchen and the floor and walls in the tunnel and cellar were all polished stone.
The fireplaces and even the kitchen cupboards were a work of art.
Windows and outside doors were all done in stained glass in blues and yellow, greens and reds.
Everywhere you looked the place was pure art.
An amazing place and a tribute to the lost skills of the artisans we had in those days and a lot of credit to the people who had owned the house over the decades and kept it maintained to its original historic condition.
Somebody had some big money to build this place and hundreds of miles from a major city.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
build this place and hundreds of miles from a major city.
There are a couple houses around here kind of like that. Not in the artisan sense---they're fairly unremarkable houses---but one of them was built in a city, then taken apart, pieces numbered, and shipped by rail to the nearest town, where the owner picked it up and built it little by little, all to please his wife who was from Out East and tragically died young. And there's a ballroom on the top floor (well, that's kind of remarkable but you can't tell from the outside). I'll see if I can find the story, it's sad but interesting.

Another one, supposedly, the owner had the bricks mailed to him, one by one, over a period of a few years, and built it that way. Had to get creative when there weren't any local hardware stores, sawmills, or trees!

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of interesting places i visited. Not long ago, I did a Summer Homes of the Victorian Age Wealthy tour in Newport, RI . I was so amazed by the architecture and the beautiful painted ceilings. I also loved the well maintained grounds surrounding the property. Wow! So that's how the other half lived in the Victorian era.😯

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Detroit Salt Mine before it closed down. It was a couple hundred feet underground and our ears popped a few times on the lift down, we got a tour and saw the machinery and some of the dig sites.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely the buildings at the NY Statefair in Syracuse! My favorite was the building with the llamas. But they have so many wonderful animals. Then a building for all different kinds of food and drinks! And a concert area too. It's like a little city.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico.
Carlsbad-Caverns-2019-Kings-Palace-Tour-5-e1563655391410.jpg
GettyImages-540946144-e1594609991901.jpg
CarlsbadCaverns_HERO.jpg

(Not my photos, by the way :) )

~I just realized that the question is " most interesting building." Sorry! The most interesting building I've ever been in would probably be the Hollywood Pantages Theatre. The architecture is beautiful!!!~

Last edited: