Question of the Day - Tuesday, August 8

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday! 🌻

What is absolutely worth paying someone else to do?

- Movers
- Chopping up fallen trees on property
- Anything to do with the toilet or plumbing
- Hairdressing
- And if I had the money, lawn mowing :lol:

Once again I am sure I have other (and probably better) options in my head but first that came to mind for this morning.

hard-working-cat.gif

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Washing windows. Not so much the windows, the track they are in. i have to scrape up the collected dirt, and vacuum it out. then wash it. and i have 34 widows! (12 alone in a sunroom ) I broke my wrist a month ago, so ANOTHER thing I have to put off!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lawn/garden care
Deep house cleaning
Most home repairs (we're useless)
Washing windows
Gutter cleaning

Pretty much anything that requires a lot of strength and skill. My husband likes to think he's handy but he's the opposite lol. I think I might be better. Ok maybe not but I do know I'm more careful LOL

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lawn/garden care
Deep house cleaning
Most home repairs (we're useless)
Washing windows
Gutter cleaning

Pretty much anything that requires a lot of strength and skill. My husband likes to think he's handy but he's the opposite lol. I think I might be better. Ok maybe not but I do know I'm more careful LOL
All of the above, except we're back to doing our own lawn because the service we had changed their policy and wanted to add a lot of stuff I didn't want, like chemicals, overseeding, etc., and I wasn't able to find another service who would just mow/edge/blow. And I clean my own house. Husband says if I hired someone to come in and clean, I would have to clean it before they got here...and he's not wrong.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cassiopea cassiopea I agree so hard on the movers. We finally splurged for them when we moved into our house after having done several apartment moves in my life with just family and friends, and it was a game changer.

Pest control is something that's definitely worth paying for. Our next door neighbor has bees in her chimney and in a hole in her yard, and if it was us, I'd definitely want my husband calling for removal rather than trying to do ot himself.

It's not expensive at all, but definitely willing to pay to get my eyebrows threaded because I know I'd do a terrible job trying to get them to look good on their own.

Right now we're paying for a twice monthly house cleaner. It's not something we'll use forever, but since trying to get things done while running on survival mode with a baby and toddler wasn't happening, it's worth it for now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleaning gutters or anything on the roof. I am using a lawn mowing service this year and not having to mow in 90 degree heat is worth every penny.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleaning my car, fixing my car. But my brother does all that.
Making my coffee! Barista.
Making my lunch! Love going out to lunch.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty cheap so the only thing that is worth paying someone else for is something that I can't do myself. :p
Same!

I would say cutting my hair is usually a big expense, but I can't do more than a bang trim and still have it look good, so it's a worthwhile one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also only pay for things I can't do myself.

I don't cut my own hair or try to fix the car, I have no idea.

I am back to renting now so not an issue but things like plumbing, other than a clog, electrical or HVAC. Again I would have no idea.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the above, except we're back to doing our own lawn because the service we had changed their policy and wanted to add a lot of stuff I didn't want, like chemicals, overseeding, etc., and I wasn't able to find another service who would just mow/edge/blow. And I clean my own house. Husband says if I hired someone to come in and clean, I would have to clean it before they got here...and he's not wrong.
We clean but like having a crew come in every few months, at change of seasons, to tackle the things we aren't able or don't want to do.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fixing my car.
I used to be able to do everything by myself, but with all the computer crap that's in cars now, I can't even change my oil. Plus, I'm not as young as I used to be and can't crawl under things anymore.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything Plumbing and Electrical related.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Right now we're paying for a twice monthly house cleaner. It's not something we'll use forever, but since trying to get things done while running on survival mode with a baby and toddler wasn't happening, it's worth it for now.
I remember those days when I had an infant and a toddler. I waited until they were asleep and cleaned at night. I'd never have the energy to do that now.

I'd pay someone to take down our wallpaper, remove the glue and prep the walls. We did it in two rooms and that was enough for me.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything related to my car, cutting down trees, construction/remodeling, moving (although I have never hired them myself because I've never had a ton of stuff to warrant a need to hire anyone).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tree removal. Electrical or plumbing work. Major home projects. (Zero regrets and paying to have our flooring installed last month!!)

Lawn care would be an easy addition if it was in my budget!

DH is handy but when you’re inexperienced these things always take way longer than hiring someone. Sometimes he ends up taking time off work to finish up; so wheres the savings in that?