Question of the Day - Tuesday, August 23

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone! Happy Tuesday!

What's something your into that people give you grief for liking?

Funny enough, ballet. During my preteen and teens I as often bullied for liking and doing ballet, since everyone believed in the stereotype that it was girly and frilly (When it is actually incredibly challenging and athletic) so for a while I would actually hide it.

Nowadays I don't hide it at all, but I will still regularly get comments like these after being asked what I do for a living or like to watch on stage "Oh my god NO like Black Swan???" "How boring" "Oooo can you go on your tippy toes or spin?" "Wow I thought ballerinas only eat celery" "Your feet must look horrible" "Cool and all but I prefer contemporary/jazz/hip hip etc *continues on and on for ten minutes to explain why*" "Why would you want to watch glorified miming in tights" "Dance is easy/isn't a sport" "Oh cute, where is your tutu?" "I prefer Musical Theatre, ballet is so dry and stodgy"

Like...for crying out loud people :lol: Really it's "Things You Shouldn't Say to a Ballerina". All the while also saying certain comments without ever once seeing a performance. Or anything beyond The Nutcracker.

No one is obligated to like or love anything, that doesn't bother me, but at least be more courteous about it! Or make some sort of attempt to acknowledge, ask polite and appropriate questions or correct ignorance instead of blatant nonsense. Or simply keep your mouth shut. When a person does show appreciation for the art form/sport it really makes my day however!

(I also sometimes get grief from Americans for liking soccer)

-End Vent-

Kitty themed on behalf of the site:

And definitely not DRY or STODGY. Blends and varieties are so common!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not surprised people give you those kind of comments. DH wrinkled a nose at a movie I was watching about dancers (The one with Patrick Swazey and his wife. Not the best movie but I liked the dances.) and I pointed out how muscular the men were. Like um they are extremely fit; why wouldn't you see athleticism in it?? He hushed. :lol:

I love musicals. Mostly the old ones. I don't really watch many new movies; but if I'm choosing it will probably be something that has some level of singing and dancing in it.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:tarantulas most dont know i keep several of them and they(women) are more shocked anna(gf) allows me to keep them inside with us.people dont really say much thoughi tell em "i'lm a grown man i do what i want within reason ofcourse and compromise on things with anna goes a long way:biggrin:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Your feet must look horrible"
i used to work with a woman who danced a lot for a number of years. She did talk about some issues she had with her feet during competition season. She said there were times when none of her shoes were comfortable because her feet were so sore. Her preference was actually tap but she said that all dance can trace its roots back to ballet.

Many years ago I was into martial arts and many people saw that as something only men did. Women took some self-defense classes but only women took martial arts far enough to earn belts.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the same lines of game misconduct game misconduct , I get grief when I tell people I have a snake. And the looks of disgust when I say "he's just so cute and has the most beautiful markings".
And I'm sure all of us, who have more than 2 cats get looks or "crazy cat lady/man" comments from people.
Before it became a trend with adults, I would get made fun of for loving to color in coloring books. Granted, there weren't any "adult" coloring books to be had so I did buy children's coloring books...but I did look for the most advanced ones I could find. It became something I just didn't tell people about. I'm so glad that adult coloring books exist now.
People my age and younger would sometimes snicker that I like puzzles because "that's a old person's hobby"...but I don't care...I love puzzles.
Not so much now, but people thought I was weird that I coupon...especially at my age. I was in my 20's when I started using coupons. Not on the same level as the "extreme couponing" on the TV show, but still...There were those who just wanted to put their two cents in that it was a waste of time or the ones who compared to me "the little old lady who holds up the line and probably pays with exact change too". How can saving money be a bad thing????
There are a few more things I get grief about, but not because I like them...but because I don't. The biggest thing...I don't have a cell phone. I don't want one and the list of reasons why is long. I know the day is coming soon that I will have to get one, just too much stuff is going digital that I will get left behind without one, but I'm waiting until the very last minute to finally join the rest of society...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct , A ball python. I tried to find a pic of him on my husband's facebook page, but couldn't...I thought there were some but he may have deleted them. And of course, as mentioned in my post...I don't have a cell phone so I don't really have any digital photos of him either... :paperbag:
He looks similar to this photo I found online.

1661272948877.png

My boy is 22 years old and his name is Sweetie. Dumb name, I know, it's more a running joke now. I couldn't think of a name when I got him so just called him "sweetie" as a pet name until I found something I liked....eventually it just stuck and it's his real name.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct , A ball python. I tried to find a pic of him on my husband's facebook page, but couldn't...I thought there were some but he may have deleted them. And of course, as mentioned in my post...I don't have a cell phone so I don't really have any digital photos of him either... :paperbag:
He looks similar to this photo I found online.

View attachment 429966
My boy is 22 years old and his name is Sweetie. Dumb name, I know, it's more a running joke now. I couldn't think of a name when I got him so just called him "sweetie" as a pet name until I found something I liked....eventually it just stuck and it's his real name.
a well cared for old guy he is :biggrin:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as Jem Jem . Snakes and lizards. People don't understand when I say I have a snake and my son has a monitor lizard. They think I'm crazy when I try to inform them that snakes and lizards do in fact have personalities and can show affection. People say "but you can't cuddle with it" and my response is "oh, yes you can".
They just don't get it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are several things, one is winter because I dislike hot weather. Two is cats but of course that doesn't apply to anyone on TCS. 😉
Three is running because it's not everyone's favorite type of exercise and four is opera also not everyone's favorite.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don’t know. I guess I just tend to ignore the people who are negative. As for ballet, I miss going to see my daughter dance and taking her to performances. We were fortunate enough to see Baryshnikov in performance at Jacobs Pillow when my daughter was about 10.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gotten as much grief as I expected, but I have had a few people comment on the fact that I'm still nursing my toddler.

My husband gives me some grief over my taste in music, but he just doesn't appreciate good stuff. :p

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people who aren't familiar give me grief for my love of Kpop and anime. I used to get grief when I was at school for my love of photography too - people will nitpick at everything!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also get a lot of grief from adults because I am a gamer. I'm not a pro gamer or even a sweat, but I do like video games. People say "why don't you act your age?"
I've never been this age before, so how do I know if I'm not?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably my obsessive love of Castle now and years ago my obsessive love of Who's The Boss? and also all things Julia Roberts. My boss teases me about how I watch a lot of rug cleaning videos on YouTube. They help me fall asleep, to be honest. 😝

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Probably cats, but obviously not here!!

I love dance and contemporary ballet cassiopea cassiopea
You must have seen Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake? This was such a fun part of it, very badly filmed unfortunately

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strangely enough - well, I find it very strange - my cat-loving friends are extremely negative when they find out that I am also a volunteer with the local hospice group and spend time (only about one hour per week!) visiting people in care homes or in their own home. I get more encouragement from my hairdresser, physiotherapist and complete strangers than from my colleagues at the animal charity. o_O

I daren't tell them that I would love to do some voluntary work with abused children or women were there any opportunities for training close by. They seem to regard me as a traitor! I know that animals need help but so do humans.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith hates it when I watch The Kardashians. I know. I know. Every one of you is doing this right now. :rolleyes2:

She loves to snuggle with me and she does like to watch tv. We have our routine. I go into my room and she waits while I fix her a nest with her plush blanket. She settles in next to me and I turn the TV on. Usually she'll watch but if I put THAT show on, she slowly turns to look at me over her right shoulder and I get the stink eye. Every single time. :lol: