Question Of The Day - Tuesday, August 15

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday!

I don't know about you guys, but I notice that August tends to get a bad rap - back to school stuff popping up, becomes too hot/cold/dry/humid, people are now in a pressured rush to do summer activities before it all ends, it's the "Sunday" of summer, etc etc. Of course, it depends on all where everyone else lives, soooo....

Favourite thing about August? Least favourite thing about August?

My fave...

Oddly enough I find it strangely more mellow and relaxing, compared to what others may feel. After the hustle and bustle of of June and July (since folks jump right into it after a long winter) it winds down a little, so can actually just soak up summer a tad more. Also, some yummy fruits and veggies are in season, like corn on the cob.

And I know that a friend of mine gets exited about upcoming sports events in August, like the U.S Open in tennis.

Least fave...

In my location at least, it's a pretty dry and hot month. The lush and pretty greenery tends to go away, and despite rain everything is more weedy and light brownish. Plus, the buggies are quite prominent. So aesthetically wise, it is not a very 'pretty' month.

And while it doesn't effect me anymore, I can still empathize - as soon as August begins, although sometimes even a bit earlier, immediately there is back to school reminders! And school starts in September here. I mean really? :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most favorite: We are exceptionally lucky since I don't remember an August where I was able to keep the windows open as much as this year. We had some hot and humid days too but overall temps were in the 70's until today. :wink:

Least favorite: The school calendar keeps getting earlier every year, high school started this week and elementary/middle school starts the beginning of next week. That is the official end of summer for me. :frown:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being between Buffalo and Rochester, my favourite thing about August is that it has never snowed here in August.

Least favourite normally would be the deerfly, but this year they all seem to have drowned.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first part of August is a rollercoaster for me.

8/4 - Son's birthday
8/6 - Was my Dalmatian's birthday
8/8 - I had to put my favorite horse down. Cancer. (owned him for 26 years)
8/10 - My dressage horse died from a brain aneurysm.
All different years of course. But #3 is still very hard for me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy back to school shopping. Although I do a lot in July because we start early August.

My least favorite thing is the heat and humidity. We have had a lot of rain recently so I have no complaints this year. It doesn't feel quite like August. It's still warm; but not nearly as bad as July was. It's raining enough to cause issues in some areas but at least I'm not having to water my garden constantly! ;)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. It's just another month. It's not the end of summer here. We still have quite a ways to go here in Florida. My daughter is in grad school and it's all online so it's not really a back to school time anymore. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
usually my least favorite thing about August is the heat and humidity, but this year it's continued to be quite rainy and reasonably comfortable temperatures.

other than that, it's a month where i shift my mindset. i'm starting to plan the fall 'to do' list, which includes cleaning the wood stove chimney pipe and checking the stove's gasket rope, scheduling the switch over on the lawn tractor from mower deck to snow blower, trimming back some of the perennials, starting to move more firewood and kindling into the enclosed porches, adding an extra blanket (or two) to the bed, switching to flannel or microplush sheets and pillow case. i've also got the kitchen fridge's freezer to go through and reorganize.

my favorite thing about August......is that later in the month is when apple season starts here!!! :woohoo:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Favorite. My husband and I always go away for our birthdays.

Least Favorite - Heat and Humidity.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Favorite: Late-season native bees are starting emerge...my favorite :hearthrob:. Stores are starting to put out falltime decor (I only get more excited about CHRISTMAS DECOR!!!!!!!! CHRISTMAS IS ALMOST HERE, PEOPLE.). Pumpkin spice lattes are almost here. :wink:

Least favorite: It's still summer and it's still hot.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
August really isn't much of a month that I think about. Other than the Perseids. It's still summer, so I'm still happy.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Least favorite: It's UNBELIEVABLY HOT (almost 100) with even much hotter heat indices, around 114 most days. And humid. It doesn't drop below 80 at night, with heat indices around 90. The grass is brown and crunchy and so is the dirt. The electric bills are higher than the temperature.

Favorite: It's almost over!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Least favorite? The heat, humidity, and needing oven mitts to start the car and buckle my seat belt.

Favorite? Uh... *scratches head*

Well, by the end of August we're about halfway through hurricane season. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love all the gorgeous flowers in our yard, the cicadas humming and the butterflies appearing in droves. This August so far actually brought cool weather and lots of rain after a hot, nasty drought in July. 70's and 80's, down to 50's at night, gorgeous!

Don't like our USUAL Augusts, HOT!!!! This August brought a huge amount of weeds with more rain than usual. But I'd rather weed than water all the time!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
normally I dislike summer. Hot. Humid. Allergies. Yuck.

Favorite-right now the bees are all around my flowers in my yard-bumble bees mostly-they just bumble along.
Least fav-humidity-I constantly sweat and need AC on. Gardens go to crap too hot to weed and humidity is sticky yucky-I read a lot in august inside with AC CRANKED.
By the time august is here I don't bother weeding usually-only another month then snow comes in November...I wish it stayed fall here for 3 months.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish fall would last all year around! I get up at 4-5AM in the summers to be outside weeding at 6, I quit by noon. Dedication or insanity?!!!