Question Of The Day - Tuesday, April 25

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday ~

When it comes up pet shopping, what store(s) do you go to?

I mainly go to Pet Valu, though I try to go to independent shops/boutiques when I can. Pet Valu has a nice selection of good items, if sometimes staff seem a bit out of place :lol: but it is the store that is the most common in my area, even taking over other companies. Ones like PetSmart are much farther.

Pet Fairs are a fun place to get stuff too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have a little Mom and Pop that has been the only pet store within 15 minutes of my house (and in walking distance) since I was a kid. It's called Elliott's for Pets. They are the old school kind with rabbits in a big tank type set up and feeder mice. We go there to this day for worms and whatever we can get there. They have an odd mix of high end brands like Orijen and Tiki Cat but not Petcurean or Weruva.

Sadly they don't carry any foods for my cats I am feeding. I tried to pick something they have but it just didn't work. Toys I can get cheaper for the same on Amazon or Chewy. They do carry some local indie cats toys and I get all my fish and turtle stuff there.

My cats, being the special children they are, have decided the wet food I like and they like is a Petco exclusive while the dry food we all like is a PetSmart exclusive. Can I just say this whole experience of finding no chicken, low fish, no grain, no cranberries and other fillers I dislike a real challenge. I am throughly fed up with the pet food industry and if I could go raw I would. But we have found a happy medium and I now have three pet store to visit every month to meet all my pet needs. In a few months when I am sure the foods are good long term I will set up auto delivery from the big box pet stores and just go back to my Mom and pop store visits.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a very good mom and pop pet store nearby called Animal Crackers. Food wise I can get nearly every high quality brand I can think of there. I do, however, use Chewy to buy food and litter in bulk. It's so much easier.

For toys I look everywhere from Petco, to Hauspanther, to made by hand Etsy things.

When we went to Cat Camp last month I picked up a wool cave pod. Casper isn't in to it, he's too big overall to get in it I think, but Cocoabean thinks its just fine lol.

I get sparkle balls in bulk from The Itty Bitty Kitty Committee's online store. I find they last longest and also come in colors I've never seen anywhere else. Not that the cats care but we do:crackup:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We order from Amazon or shop Petsmart most of the time. A few weeks ago I had a doctor appointment in another town and saw a Pet Supermarket. They had Da Bird on sale so I picked one up. OMG! The cats LOST THEIR MINDS! They love it so much! I'm planning a trip next week to pick up replacement feathers. :devilcat:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Petsmart, Petco and Amazon. Chewy is OK but I'd like them better if they accepted Paypal

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mostly use Zooplus, and sometimes Amazon for online shopping.

In terms of physical stores, we use a little local shop called Meynalls in town for some things (though they don't carry much of a range for cats - it's a tiny shop), Pets at Home and sometimes a couple of country/farm stores that we use mainly for the pony - round here, at least, they have small animal stuff too. Everything is much more dog-centric round here :sigh:

There's also an overstock-type store in town that has a pet section. I've had some great toys from them, and every so often they get a high end cat food in too (usually at some ridiculously cheap price :p).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Most of my pet supply shopping is done online: food direct from the producer (Vet-Concept), other supplies usually from Zooplus or Amazon.

A formerly independent shop in a nearby town was taken over by a chain called Zoo & Co and has expanded its range, so I do pick up some items there.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
PetSmart and our local Giant grocery store.

Sometimes around the holidays, I'll go to the Foster and Smith catalog to buy something for the kids for Christmas.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PetSmart and our local Giant grocery store.

Sometimes around the holidays, I'll go to the Foster and Smith catalog to buy something for the kids for Christmas.
I forgot about Foster and Smith. Got the scratching post from them. Really good, strong quality. Cats love it!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chewy is OK but I'd like them better if they accepted Paypal
Paypal charges the vendor a service fee; so places that offer it either have to raise their prices, or 'eat it.' And they only get paid once a month, I believe. As my Paypal is set for my credit card, doesn't matter to me, though. I do not use debit cards; they are an anti-consumer product. I do pay off my credit card monthly.

Chewy is my new find and I am loving it! Already have canned cat food set up on autoship! I also use Amazon, Dr. Foster and Smith, That Pet Place, and Jeffers Pets online. For brick and mortar stores, I much prefer PetsMart over PetCo. There is a PetsLife near me, and I've used them as well.

Jeffers Pets always has great daily deals starting on Black Friday; I mark my calendar to remind me to start looking!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly Chewy and Amazon. And Walmart and Tractor Supply. I do go to Petco and Petsmart occasionally to look for good clearance deals or really great sales, but their regular prices are just crazy. Well, Petsmart isn't too bad; their prices on canned Friskies are decent.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Amazon & Chewy for food & litter - delivery is key, carless here in NYC. I've also bought a fountain drinking bowl from Chewy & replacement mouse from Amazon, but normally I get toys at Petco or if I see a small local store in my travels & something catches my eye. I'm still on the lookout for a retractable wand/wire toy with a mouse on the end. I've seen them online with feathers, but feathers don't last long w/Mr Luciano.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Chewy for food and Litter Genie refills, PetCo and PetSmart for litter and toys. Sometimes I visit the Pet Life store for food, also.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a small local chain, I think it is only 4 or 5 stores, called Pet People. They carry a lot of the foods that the bigger chains don't sell. They also do not sell any animals. The no animals includes fish, birds, rodents or snakes. Their stores are small so they don't keep kitties for adoption there. The one that I go to does have one of the no kill cat rescues in about once a month and they bring a few of their adult cats in with them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I try to support the independent pet stores nearby. We have a lot to choose from and one nice perk is that they have different incentive/rewards programs. I also like to spend time talking with the employees, checking out new items in the store and swapping information.

When we had our dog I used KV Vet Supply for many of his supplements. They are phenomenal! :thumbsup:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any local pet stores except for PetGo and PetSmart. I sometimes go to PetSmart but mostly I buy at the grocery store. I buy Racheal Ray Dry and canned Friskies for the ferals. When I had inside cats I used to buy kitty litter at BJ's warehouse store. It was cheaper there than is is at PetSmart. Is it more expensive to get the cat supplies through the mail?

Muffy

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it more expensive to get the cat supplies through the mail?
Of course, it depends what you're buying and where. But usually you can find stuff online for LESS than most brick-and-mortar stores. And they deliver right to your door. Can't beat that!