Question Of The Day - Tuesday, April 24

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salutations all TCS Members! Happy Tuesday!

Aahhh, it is finally feeling like spring around here :cloud9: :tree: :purplebutterfly:

Favourite Species of Bird(s)?

As for myself:

- Swans. I will go all giddy like a fool if I see swans. I see them often but it never gets old :lol: I adore swans!
- Hummingbirds
- Owls. I love hearing them!
- Crows. For the fact that they are very intelligent.
- Budgies. I had budgies before, so hard not to have a huge soft spot for them!

Happy Birding!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Birds are very literally deadly to me. My worst allergy is to birds, I can't be around them for more then 5 minutes without having to change clothes and take a shower after. I used to wear gloves handling barricades at my old job so I wouldn't come in contact with the bird poop that gets on the barricades. Which is all to say, I avoid birds too much to have a favorite.

Ironically, we bred budgies for a while and still have a large outdoor aviary. Luckily, it is self sufficient for up to a month when full. So right now with our 4 birds in there it doesn't need care for a good 3-4 months. Which works out great because I really dislike having to go in for any reason.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually went to college and majored in zoology so I could study ornithology. I love going birding and bird watching but haven't done that in years. Now how did I end up a soapmaker?!! LOL

So, I have to say out of all the birds my favorite would be birds of prey. But I also have a special place in my heart for the California Condor ever since I spotted a few watching me and my brother high up in the trees when we were kids. The sight of those huge majestic birds blew me away and also scared me a little. They tracked my brother and me while we walked down the street and looked like they might swoop down on us at any moment. Awesome and scary at once!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owls are amongst my favorite.

Though right now I have various breeds of chickens, various breeds of ducks, a goose, 2 royal palm turkeys, and a pair of parakeets at the farm!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the sassy bluejays that stand up to those DWWDs (Dratted White-Wing Doves) and chase them from the feeder. The doves take over the food table and feeders and won't let others on them. They toss most of the seed off so it either sprouts or rots. Cardinals are a joy to watch, and we have three families right now.

I do NOT like vultures. They're disgusting when they're feeding and ugly when they aren't.

I love to watch seagulls, too, and when we go to the beach I always buy two or three loaves of bread to break up and toss to them. It's amazing how they avoid mid-air collisions. It's fun to share the bread-tossing with others, too. There's nothing like spreading the magic.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do NOT like vultures. They're disgusting when they're feeding and ugly when they aren't
Ah, but just think of all the roadkill that would lying about if they didn't clean it up for us. Very useful birds, even if they are icky :D.

I like birds of prey. All of the nearly identical kinds of hawks (I really can't tell which are Harris hawks, which are rough-legged hawks, which are red-tailed hawks (unless I see the tail of course), etc. They're all so similar), owls, eagles, falcons. It's amazing to see pelicans flying---they look like pterodactyls! I can watch the penguins at the zoo for hours. Cedar Waxwings are adorable when they pass a fruit on down the line. And I love my barn swallows. They have quite a colony going in the machine shed.
Swans. I will go all giddy like a fool if I see swans
I do NOT like swans. They're jerks. I was attacked by a swan when I was 5 so I think I'm biased :lol:. They are nice to see swimming though. As long as they're way out on the pond and not near me, lol.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say cardinals are my favorite, but then there's those blue jays. They are mean birds, but up close, they are beautiful. One came to the feeder on my deck one winter, and it was breathtaking. It was also much larger than I thought.

The ones I hate are Canada geese. (Sorry, Canadians!) They are aggressive, huge, and used to potty up driveways, streets, and sidewalks. Around here, the authorities have caught on to the fact that the geese won't go to ponds, lakes, or other water places if there are tall weeds around the perimeters for fear of lurking predators. So now all commercial places have wildflowers around their retaining ponds. This has cut down tremendously on the geese population. Some places have installed swans, as swans chase off the geese. The Canada geese here don't migrate - they stay all winter.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a fan of owls. Their silent flying is so interesting! I have heard up to six horned owls at once from my yard. I love the eastern screech owl's fascinating call. I worry about them in the spring when it rains so much because they cannot hunt and owlets suffer. Their feathers are not waterproof because of the special adaptation that keeps their flight silent.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the birds you may see along the New Hampshire seacoast, probably my favorite birds are gulls. I love plovers, too. I have seen some beautiful large birds near the shore while riding the seacoast and I have not identified them, perhaps I can this year.

I love wild turkeys and all woodpeckers, especially pileated.

I love bluebirds, bluejays, sparrows, Cardinals. blackbirds, goldfinches, flickers.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love all birds. Including vultures. Why vultures? They may not be "pretty" in the typical sense but would you want to see a pretty bird do what they do? I respect them for doing a job that no one else wants.

My favorite birds are owls. They are IMO the most beautiful and majestic of all birds.

I also love peacocks. We have them here in Florida. Once time I was driving DD to the sitter (shows how long ago this was- she's 23) and I see that traffic from the other direction has stopped. That usually means that someone is about to give a turtle a hand across the street so I stopped too. It was no turtle. A peacock had started across the street. He did NOT give a darn who had to wait for him at all. Those tail feathers were out and we were treated to his VERY best strut. Mick Jagger would have been jealous for sure. He passed right in front of me and gave me his best, "Yeah- you will wait and you'll LIKE it too" look.

I love the Sand Hill Cranes that live around here too. They are also gorgeous. They also do not give a darn if they hold you up while they strut down the street. One of the perks of being in Florida is the wildlife for sure. Cranes - Sandhill Crane

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
For everyday birds, goldfinches (love their colors and happy little song) and hummingbirds. I do love to hear the owls hooting at night also.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think of the common birds around where I have lived it would be Cardinals and Bluejays. Of all bird it would be the birds of prey. I have only seen videos but I like to watch people who keep falcons and take them out to work them.