Question Of The Day - Tuesday, April 2

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone! Happy first Tuesday of April!

What's a store that you used to shop in that doesn't exist anymore?

Fairly typical answer, but for me it would be Blockbuster. There used to be one right beside my old high school, about a 2-3 minute walk away. Used to go there with my friends almost every lunchtime, grab a bag of free popcorn and drop off/rent movies. Good times!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can think of so many from my childhood: Jordan Marsh, Filene's, Woolworth's, Bradlees, Caldoor, Zayer, Purity Supreme, Ann & Hope, Child's World.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Federated. It was a grocery store chain in Phoenix.
Alco. They had a little bit of everything at discount prices.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Fairly typical answer, but for me it would be Blockbuster.
There’s one left in the world...here in Oregon!

For me, it would be Marshall Field’s. I loved to go there when I was in Chicago and buy Frango mints.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be a lot of Pamida stores around here. They were fairly crummy but all we had. The one in the town my parents live in actually closed way before Walmart came, but I think ultimately Walmart is what did 'em in.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Marshall Field's what is now Marshall's? They have a big variety of things. One opened recently in Phoenix, near me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woolworths, Jamesway, Ames, Fays, Eckerd, RX Place, P&C, Bon Ton, Hills, Fashion Bug, Payless, Endicott Johnson

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is Marshall Field's what is now Marshall's? They have a big variety of things. One opened recently in Phoenix, near me.
DIfferent store. Marshall Field’s was bought by Federated Department Stores in 2005. It’s like Macy’s.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For me, it would be Marshall Field’s. I loved to go there when I was in Chicago and buy Frango mints.
Yes, :yess: my absolute favorite store in the city since I was born and raised there.
Another defunct store in Chicago is Carson Pirie Scott & Co.

Is Marshall Field's what is now Marshall's?
No, not even close, Marshall Field's was an upscale store started by a man named Marshall Field.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Marshall Field’s was bought by Federated Department Stores in 2005. It’s like Macy’s.
Actually Marshall Field was Macy's competition which is why the last time Field's was sold Macy's bought the store. However, Macy's can't hold a candle to Marshall Field's. :nono:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woolworths, Jamesway, Ames, Fays, Eckerd, RX Place, P&C, Bon Ton, Hills, Fashion Bug, Payless, Endicott Johnson
My aunt used to work in a Fashion Bug! I don't think they had them out by us, but we would go when we were in PA.

Does anyone else remember Venture? I have childhood memories.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Montgomery Ward, Loblaws-groceries- A&P, W.T. Grant, Williams Brothers, Lerch and Daly- clothing, Twin Fair-a cut-rate Wal-Mart, and Adam,Meldrum & Anderson- a high-class Wal-Mart.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woolworth's
Cheap Johns (this was back on Long Island in the late 80's)
Burdine's- a Florida department store that was taken over by Macy's years ago

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blockbuster, Sears, A&B Sound, CD Plus, Liquidation World, Zellers. I really miss Blockbuster and the music stores.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blockbuster, Sears, A&B Sound, CD Plus, Liquidation World, Zellers. I really miss Blockbuster and the music stores.
Music stores. I spent a lot of time in Sam Goody at the mall during my teenage years. We still have a Sears here- a Kmart too and I have no idea how they are still around. They are closing a bigger Sears that's not far from here. I really thought that they would close our first but it's still hanging on.