Question of the Day: Tues. Feb.2

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any, I don't think...
I can't remember lol..
I think I had some due to injuries as a little kid but I am not sure if those count, I was never under full anesthesia though.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok I just had to jump in too...I've had 6 and they were all in the space of about 5 years. This is pretty much how I've been spending my 20's! (I'm 27)

Right Knee Arthoscope
Left Knee Arthoscope
Ride side Derotational Femoral Ostetomy
Left Side Derotational Femoral Ostetomy
Right Side Hardware removal
Left Side Hardware Removal.

All 6 were orthopedic and since I'm symmetrical what they do on one side they have to do on the other. SO when surgery is suggested I know I will be getting 2 operations instead of one and they are usually 6 months apart give or take a few months.

Sadly I am not done yet...this is just a start

I'm getting a break right now because I am simply refusing to go to my orthopedist I KNOW that when I see him again its more surgery, as both my hip and knees are acting up. So for now I'm just ignoring it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

ok I just had to jump in too...I've had 6 and they were all in the space of about 5 years. This is pretty much how I've been spending my 20's! (I'm 27)

Right Knee Arthoscope
Left Knee Arthoscope
Ride side Derotational Femoral Ostetomy
Left Side Derotational Femoral Ostetomy
Right Side Hardware removal
Left Side Hardware Removal.

All 6 were orthopedic and since I'm symmetrical what they do on one side they have to do on the other. SO when surgery is suggested I know I will be getting 2 operations instead of one and they are usually 6 months apart give or take a few months.

Sadly I am not done yet...this is just a start

I'm getting a break right now because I am simply refusing to go to my orthopedist I KNOW that when I see him again its more surgery, as both my hip and knees are acting up. So for now I'm just ignoring it.
Ooh, you had the femoral osteotomy? I had the pelvic.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

At age 5, I had one to repair some defects in my bladder / ureters. Never did know the official name of that surgery, and I'm sure I never will.

At 16, I had my wisdom teeth removed, though not sure if that's technically a surgery or not... It started out a normal extraction but then got messy.

At 18, I had an appendectomy.

And it looks like I may need a c-section in April!!
Any vibes that I won't need it would be much appreciated.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Let's see...

At age 5, I had one to repair some defects in my bladder / ureters. Never did know the official name of that surgery, and I'm sure I never will.

At 16, I had my wisdom teeth removed, though not sure if that's technically a surgery or not... It started out a normal extraction but then got messy.

At 18, I had an appendectomy.

Many you don't need coming your way

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Aw
I had to have a c-section for my first child. He was breech. It was kind of hard accepting that I wasn't going to have the birth story I had envisioned, but it worked out ok, LOL! Hope you don't have to have one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I soooooo wish I had had orthoscopic surgery for my knee but unfortunately it wasn't offered when I had it done....so I'm stuck with this scar that starts on the side of my kneecap at the top, comes down then under the kneecap and goes straight down about 3-4"....kinda like a question mark ? only reversed and in total is 6-7" and not a nice scar.....it was a crappy job, and the scar is thick

Eventually I will have to have the carpal tunnel surgery again, as its come back already even though I only had the surgery about 5yrs ago.....
Wish I woulda known that before (that it is possible for it to come back).

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I soooooo wish I had had orthoscopic surgery for my knee but unfortunately it wasn't offered when I had it done....so I'm stuck with this scar that starts on the side of my kneecap at the top, comes down then under the kneecap and goes straight down about 3-4"....kinda like a question mark ? only reversed and in total is 6-7" and not a nice scar.....it was a crappy job, and the scar is thick

Eventually I will have to have the carpal tunnel surgery again, as its come back already even though I only had the surgery about 5yrs ago.....
Wish I woulda known that before (that it is possible for it to come back).
That stinks! At least my scars are mostly hidden. The big one, however, goes from above the point of my pelvis to about 6" past the crease of my groin. i really wish i had counted the staples but i didn't even think to.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Ooh, you had the femoral osteotomy? I had the pelvic.
A PELVIC Osteotomy??!!! YIKES....Why did they do that? I know how awful the Femoral ones were and I can only imagine how difficult a pelvic osteotomy would be....

I am hoping they don't have to do the tibia's next my Physical Therapist tells me that those make my femoral ones look like an arthoscope in comparison.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A PELVIC Osteotomy??!!! YIKES....Why did they do that? I know how awful the Femoral ones were and I can only imagine how difficult a pelvic osteotomy would be....

I am hoping they don't have to do the tibia's next my Physical Therapist tells me that those make my femoral ones look like an arthoscope in comparison.
Sorry to hijack your thread Chris, LOL...

My hip socket was too shallow. So they surgically broke the pelvis in 4 places and rotated the released socket outward and toward the front, took a little bone from the pelvic crest to make a little "shim" and then put in 2 big pins.

I like to make it sound really dramatic, but it really didn't hurt all that much, LOL. I was on one crutch by 6 weeks.

ETA - I actually think the femoral one is a lot worse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My hip socket was too shallow. So they surgically broke the pelvis in 4 places and rotated the released socket outward and toward the front, took a little bone from the pelvic crest to make a little "shim" and then put in 2 big pins.

I like to make it sound really dramatic, but it really didn't hurt all that much, LOL. I was on one crutch by 6 weeks.

hijack away..... I find this very interesting actually.... I've learned a lot thru this thread.

I must say I am surprised at the quick recovery....it sounds so painfull....

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Chris I'm sorry too that we hijacked your thread!!

WOW. even though you said it wasn't too bad it still didn't sound like much fun.

hmm for mine they made a big incision in my hip (like they were going to do a hip replacement) then they broke my femur and rotated it 25 degrees and stuck a rod down the center of the bone and then they pinned it in place with two giant pins and a few screws. The rod went from my hip to just above my knee. and I was on 2 crutches for 6 weeks and one for another 2 and a cane for another month. (for each surgery) I was in Physicial therapy for over a year to relearn how to walk and it took almost 2 years for the limp to decrease noticeably. I still have a SLIGHT limp but you can only see that if you walk next to me on my right side.

I had to have mine done because my femurs were so misaligned that it was wearing out both my knees and my hips.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Chris I'm sorry too that we hijacked your thread!!

WOW. even though you said it wasn't too bad it still didn't sound like much fun.

hmm for mine they made a big incision in my hip (like they were going to do a hip replacement) then they broke my femur and rotated it 25 degrees and stuck a rod down the center of the bone and then they pinned it in place with two giant pins and a few screws. The rod went from my hip to just above my knee. and I was on 2 crutches for 6 weeks and one for another 2 and a cane for another month. (for each surgery) I was in Physicial therapy for over a year to relearn how to walk and it took almost 2 years for the limp to decrease noticeably. I still have a SLIGHT limp but you can only see that if you walk next to me on my right side.

I had to have mine done because my femurs were so misaligned that it was wearing out both my knees and my hips.
I've got a big old scar running down my front from the tip of my hip to about 6" below where the leg meets the torso. I guess the scar is 12" or so.

A couple years ago I had a resurfacing on that same hip, and the scar is across my butt but only about 4 or 5 inches!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Many you don't need coming your way

Aw
I had to have a c-section for my first child. He was breech. It was kind of hard accepting that I wasn't going to have the birth story I had envisioned, but it worked out ok, LOL! Hope you don't have to have one!
Thank you both very much!

Glad to know it worked out ok for you! Hope if it comes to that for me, I get the same results.