Question of the Day - Thursday September 14, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What creative, artistic or crafty skill or hobby do you want to learn?

I've been wanting to start rug tufting, but I've been telling myself I can't because it's expensive to start and I already have so many hobbies. I'd also like to learn wood working, but again no time and no money to start.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Money and time are always the issue I think for most people. I write and have 4 novels started for about the last 4 years. Never enough time.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knitting, crochet and sewing.
Carpentry/wood work

There are many that I would like to start doing again that I already know and used to do before life got in the way, like pottery, painting and making jewelry. I'm a creative, crafty, artistic person so I like doing many things.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crochet. I'd also like to get skilled enough at knitting to be able to make a sweater.

Photography is another one. I take a lot of pictures (mostly of my dog) but I just use my phone since I don't really know how to do the settings on my digital camera. I'm planning on taking a dog photography class this spring which will hopefully help a lot.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been intrigued by weaving for years but never really made the time before to learn. Now I do have the time and was able to go to a weaving workshop and meet a couple of women who have been helping me learn. Fun to get started on a new hobby. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Photography. I bought a new digital camera a few years ago, and still only know how to use the automatic settings.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cake and cookie decorating. Our local Boscov's used to have decorating classes, but I was always working and couldn't attend. Now I can go and they no longer have them.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How to use the camera on my new phone for something other than point and shoot.
I would like to simply know how to use my phone. Apple iPhone, have no idea half the time how to use the darn thing. My landline is still used for everyday communication. My iPhone only when I am away from home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to simply know how to use my phone. Apple iPhone, have no idea half the time how to use the darn thing.
If you live near or within driving distance of an Apple store they have ongoing workshops you can sign up for. I've always found the employees at the one I go to very helpful.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the thought. I have a 300 page guide for my phone. I just don't seem to remember it. I think it is a case of "If you don't use it you lose it." In my case I use my cell for very little.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I learned to knit when I was young from my neighbor's grandmother. I knitted some basic things and always wanted to pick it up again but put it off for some reason. I have a bag with several different size needles and yarn so maybe I'll start a new hobby.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to simply know how to use my phone. Apple iPhone, have no idea half the time how to use the darn thing. My landline is still used for everyday communication. My iPhone only when I am away from home.
Many years ago when I got my first smart phone, I looked at iPhone and decided I didn't want anything to do witih it. I don't like the interface. I've always had androids and lately just Samsungs. I got us Samsung S23 on Wednesday. Ours were old. I went over to the store after negotiating $350 off on the S22 via chat. The sales rep asked me how I would like an S23 for $15. After trade in. I really didn't intend to trade them in, but I couldn't pass up that deal. I didin't get a new plan though I can't make use of the 5G. But oh well.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many years ago when I got my first smart phone, I looked at iPhone and decided I didn't want anything to do witih it. I don't like the interface. I've always had androids and lately just Samsungs. I got us Samsung S23 on Wednesday. Ours were old. I went over to the store after negotiating $350 off on the S22 via chat. The sales rep asked me how I would like an S23 for $15. After trade in. I really didn't intend to trade them in, but I couldn't pass up that deal. I didin't get a new plan though I can't make use of the 5G. But oh well.
Yea, I get it. I feel today as you felt with your first smart phone, but realize for now you almost have to have one. You can't even bank without one for two factor identification. But I don't use mine enough to become proficient in its use. I sometimes can't even find where to put in a new cell number when someone says here is my number. I just dig out my trusty notebook and pen and write it in there and put it in the phone later. But its me not the phone. I will get there, just not today.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I get it. I feel today as you felt with your first smart phone, but realize for now you almost have to have one. You can't even bank without one for two factor identification. But I don't use mine enough to become proficient in its use. I sometimes can't even find where to put in a new cell number when someone says here is my number. I just dig out my trusty notebook and pen and write it in there and put it in the phone later. But its me not the phone. I will get there, just not today.
Yeah, I keep a pocket calendar for appointments. I just spent a whole lot of time trying to fix the notification sound because my father is in the hospital and I want to hear when my sister texts. What I really want to learn is how to use the camera better than just point and shoot because it really is a nice camera. All I use the phone for is chatting, checking my email, and scrolling facebook. And like you said, the 2 factor identification, but you can have it come to your email too.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once I would have liked to learn to paint - I used to draw well, but never got to grips with colour. But it's years since I did any drawing, and I have nowhere to do, let alone store, any painting, so that's a non-starter. I'll stick to knitting.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once I would have liked to learn to paint - I used to draw well, but never got to grips with colour. But it's years since I did any drawing, and I have nowhere to do, let alone store, any painting, so that's a non-starter. I'll stick to knitting.
Knitting is a noble pursuit. I could never do that. I marvel at the creativity of so many people. Creative people I think have a special way of looking at the world that makes me always go wow!