Question of the Day - Thursday March 28, 2024

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What one thing do you wish were cheaper?

I know, there's SOOO many things that should be cheaper, so only naming one is hard. I'd say a car though. Since I'm hoping to have a baby next year, I want to upgrade from a sedan to an SUV but all cars are just so expensive!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Food, especially quality organic. Food in general has become absurdly expensive and is essential and ongoing. If the prices come down there's more for other things.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. Probably food because no one ever stops needing it. LoL

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food, I didn't use to have a very good diet but as I have gotten older I have greatly improved my diet. It is getting harder and harder to stay away from the cheaper highly processed foods now because of prices.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prescription food and medication for cats. 4kg bag of food for Phoebe is $100, which lasts her a couple of months. When I started buying it five years ago it was $66. Worse is Daisy's Cisapride. It has to be compounded and the cheapest price is still over $100 including postage - and that's every forty days.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat products. Both Dry Food and Kitty Litter. I feed "Hills Prescription Diet" dry, Digestive Care I/D. A 8.5lb/3.85kg bag costs $56.00. I use 1 bag a month. I recently began using "Pretty Litter" Clumping a 10lb./4.5kg costs $33.00 per bag. Currently I'm only using that in 1 litter box. Each litter box holds 2 bags of Pretty Litter. I used to feed "Blue Buffalo " dry. But Miles tummy can't handle that receipe. Both boys seem to love this expensive food. Just my luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed "Hills Prescription Diet" dry, Digestive Care I/D.
Prescription food is expensive. I fed Alice prescription kidney food the last five years of her life. I was feeding her the wet and it came in the small cans, two cases was almost a hundred dollars and that lasted her about 3 1/2 weeks. I bought it the last time about 2 and 1/2 years ago so I know it would be more now. She got an additional five good years after being diagnosed and was 18 when I had her euthanized so I would do it again.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'd say a car though. Since I'm hoping to have a baby next year, I want to upgrade from a sedan to an SUV but all cars are just so expensive!
You might want to rethink changing your car. Studies have shown that SUVs aren't any safer than regular sedans. All those roo-bars and whatnot are purely decorative. They don't offer any extra protection at all. People feel protected in larger vehicles, so drive more recklessly which leads to a higher number of accidents involving SUVs than other kinds of cars. Children are 8 times more likely to die when struck by an SUV that another kind of car. And then there are all those extra emissions to consider. Clean air is more important for a baby than a big flashy car to ride around in.

I wish cat food was cheaper. The prices of all brands have gone up so much in the past few years and my bunch eat a lot.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Gas - we check which station has the lowest price and try to be mindful when traveling.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to rethink changing your car. Studies have shown that SUVs aren't any safer than regular sedans. All those roo-bars and whatnot are purely decorative. They don't offer any extra protection at all. People feel protected in larger vehicles, so drive more recklessly which leads to a higher number of accidents involving SUVs than other kinds of cars. Children are 8 times more likely to die when struck by an SUV that another kind of car. And then there are all those extra emissions to consider. Clean air is more important for a baby than a big flashy car to ride around in.

I wish cat food was cheaper. The prices of all brands have gone up so much in the past few years and my bunch eat a lot.
We switched from using my Chevy Cruze to buying a used Subaru Forester before M was born. Not because of it being safer, but we literally wouldn't have been able to fit my husband in the car with two rear facing car seats (technically we can switch J to forward facing at any time now, but it's safer to keep her rear facing until she hits the limits on her seat. A bigger sedan like an Accord might have worked, but we did it for the leg and trunk room.

MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 - one child and car seat is totally doable in a small car if you can't upgrade. We had J on the passenger side so we could adjust the driver's seat.

As for my answer to the qotd, I'll say houses and rentals. Or college.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prescription food is expensive. I fed Alice prescription kidney food the last five years of her life. I was feeding her the wet and it came in the small cans, two cases was almost a hundred dollars and that lasted her about 3 1/2 weeks. I bought it the last time about 2 and 1/2 years ago so I know it would be more now. She got an additional five good years after being diagnosed and was 18 when I had her euthanized so I would do it again.
I occasionally feed the Hills I/D in can form. Though both boys seem to prefer the dry. They also share a water fountain that requires disposal filter changes weekly. A additional expense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We switched from using my Chevy Cruze to buying a used Subaru Forester before M was born. Not because of it being safer, but we literally wouldn't have been able to fit my husband in the car with two rear facing car seats (technically we can switch J to forward facing at any time now, but it's safer to keep her rear facing until she hits the limits on her seat. A bigger sedan like an Accord might have worked, but we did it for the leg and trunk room.

MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 - one child and car seat is totally doable in a small car if you can't upgrade. We had J on the passenger side so we could adjust the driver's seat.
For me it's a back problem issue not a space or size issue. Plus, I live in Minnesota and would love to have all-wheel drive.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rent. I love my apartment but financially, it's not sustainable.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me it's a back problem issue not a space or size issue. Plus, I live in Minnesota and would love to have all-wheel drive.
Before AWD'S were the rage. Midwesterners placed either Salt or Sand bags in the trunks of their cars for traction. I agree having a AWD makes life a little easier. I currently have a Outback and a Forester. I wouldn't go back to a FWD unless I left snow country.

Last edited: