Question Of The Day - Thursday 5 September

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Do you consider yourself to be a picky eater ? :thumbsup:

Nope, I don’t consider myself to be a fussy eater. I do not like anything hot and spicy. But, apart from that I’m happy to try and eat most things ;)

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll eat almost anything but there are certain things that are not first on the list such as garlic.
I'm with you on the hot and spicy. It's ok up to a point but then just becomes painful.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say somewhat. Usually, whatever I eat I pick something out that I don't like. Mostly carrots, onions and peppers.
Which is ironic since I'm attempting to bake a carrot cake tomorrow.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a picky eater but not through choice. There are a lot of things I cant eat such as garlic, any kind of fish so they limit what I eat. Its surprising how many meals have garlic in them.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not at all, but there are foods low on the priority list. I like hot & spicy foods, I'm known in my own small circle for my homemade chicken burritos with fresh Jalapeno & Serrano peppers, sweet onion, vine-ripened tomatoes, etc. In the past, I've incorporated shrimp into the mix, and I've flaked in Chilean Sea Bass (cooked separately with herbs & butter and added to the mix on the tortilla). But I digress... some foods are "seasonal" for me, oatmeal is a good example, I'll eat that in the wintertime. I'm not big on processed foods with heaps of sodium & sugar, I like cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients. I lean toward enzyme nutrition and Ann Wigmore's excellent recommendations in THE HIPPOCRATES DIET, a good book for those on the path to better nutrition. I normally avoid heavily-processed foods, but once in awhile I'll have some junk food... it's okay once in awhile, so long as one eats well most of the time. :popcorn:

Edit: Garlic gets a bad rap, it's actually a good cleanser for the blood... some Roman legionaries would consume it before battle to reduce the risk of wound infection. As far as first dates go, it's not as helpful, LOL. :eek:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the most part no. There are a few things that I won't eat but for the most part I will eat anything. There are things that I like better then others. There are things that I wouldn't cook for myself or order when I am out but if someone else made them for me I will eat them.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My wife would say that I am a very picky eater. I think she is a picky eater.

As we have aged, she has become more health conscious about what she eats. I have not changed my food preferences since my 20's.

When we want to go out to eat, there are many places she refuses to eat and other places that I refuse to eat. Fortunately, there are many that we can agree on. But, you will never see us order the same thing.

At home, we make our own breakfasts and lunches. Dinner is generally a compromise with our portions and sides being different.

We've been happily married for over 40 years; so, we must be doing something right.:heartshape:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this qualifies as "picky", but I do have texture issues that prevent me from eating certain foods. I can't eat most fruit, hard candy, or oatmeal.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will eat most things, but I draw the line at stuff like mushrooms, liver, calamari, shellfish, or zucchini.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think I'm too picky.I do draw the line here and there...raw fish.Nope!Soft cooked eggs...nope!Chili peppers so hot they blow the top of your head off...nope!she says remembering she has a jar of harissa in the fridge.....I will say that usually I'll try it...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No garlic? I would die! I love garlic

I don't consider myself picky, but I know a lot of parents punish their kids for expressing any kind of food preference so I suppose someone might say I am. Since I do all the food shopping and cooking for myself, it just doesn't come up. I don't have any tolerance for odd meats (offal or gristle or anything not standard. Except raw fish; I love sushi. But only the fish kind. I'm not going to eat a sea cucumber or anything like that) or slimy textures (cooked greens, oysters, soft-cooked eggs, etc.). But mostly, I enjoy food.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but actually a lot less picky than I used to be! I barely ate any vegetables as a kid, and I've increased the number of what I'll eat.

I love garlic, but the only thing with tomatoes I'll eat at this point is barbecue sauce. So I've gotten even more picky in my tomato aversions since I was a kid because back then I'd at least eat marinara sauce or pizza with red sauce though I never loved them.

I have low spicy tolerance.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say I'm picky, but I do have a few quirks. I think is absolutely disgusting to mix sweet and savory foods together. For example, no fruit with meat, no fruit or "sweet" dressings in my vegetable salads, cheese with apples/ apple pie, etc...:barf:

As for specific foods, the only thing I really will not eat, ever, are mushrooms, hot/spicy things and curry. There are a few other foods that I don't like, but will tolerate if I'm not the one doing the cooking.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I will eat most foods except meat. ;) I'm more picky about how foods are cooked or prepared, e.g. not overly fond of fried foods.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, not too picky. I have a lot of preferences but as far as an all out picky eater, not really.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m like @Jem—not picky but I won’t eat certain foods together, much as she described. Love chocolate, love fruit, won’t eat chocolate-covered fruit, for example. I also don’t like different foods on my plate to touch and “share” flavors. I spend time trying to get the seasonings and flavors right for each dish, and it drives me crazy when my husband puts a bit of everything on one fork and eats it. It’s just :barfgreen: !

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. I will try anything, but I don't feel like there are a lot of foods that I love. I know there are people who LOVE certain foods, but there really isn't any food that I have that same passion for.