Question Of The Day - Thursday 31 May

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Have you ever had food poisoning ? If so, what from ? :nervous: :paranoid:

I have had food poisoning once about 10 years ago from a cheese sauce. I was really ill, I lost over a stone in 3 days :confused:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had it several times, twice from Christmas dinner at restaurants (never with home cooked Christmas dinner). I get pretty bad food poisoning that feels like a death sentence. It's horrible - I'm not normally someone who gets physically sick often; but it's always so violent when I have food poisoning.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got food poisoning from 10-day-old deli turkey once (it smelled fine, and tasted fine!). That's the only time I've even gone home sick from work. That's also the only time I was 100% sure it was food poisoning.

There have been other times when I had a lesser upset tummy but never knew if it was actual food poisoning or just something that disagreed with my digestion.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Once after eating chicken at a relatively fancy restaurant and once after eating pastrami at a very famous NY deli.

Thankfully, both were relatively mild cases.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've had upset tummies from things I've eaten, but never food poisoning. I can't imagine how terrible it feels

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst case of food poisoning I ever had occurred on a motorcycle trip. We were staying in San Antonio but rode up to Austin to visit my husband's brother. I wanted to eat at the famous Threadgill's. I was the only one who had squash casserole. By the time we rode back to the motel that evening, I was worshipping the porcelain goddess every way possible. The problem continued the next day and I was so sick my husband rode home and came back with the car. By that time I was pretty much over it. However, I lost several pounds on Mother Nature's Quick Weight Loss Diet. And I never went back to Threadgill's.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had food poisoning thirty years ago from eating seafood at the coast and another time about thirteen years ago from chicken salad. :dizzy: Luckily those were the only times in my life I was stricken by food illness.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had it once years ago from a sausage biscuit at McDonald's. It didn't taste right. I spit out the bite I had taken and threw it away but it still got me. Luckily it was the tamer version, the one called the Buffet Germ. I was super sick for about two hours, sickest I had ever felt. I took a nap and woke up with a horrible headache I assume from dehydration. I drank two of the old 16 ounce returnable bottles of Pepsi, the headache went away and I was fine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago I went out to lunch with my co-workers and got food poisoning from a restaurant's hot buffet. My co-workers told me the food may have not been cooked at the proper temp. or heated and re-heated. :dunno: I wrote a letter to the city's Dept. of Health as well as the restaurant since I was retching. :barf:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're such delicate creatures, you have to wonder how our ancestors survived long enough to make babies. No refrigerators, no preservatives. . .no wonder everybody on the Oregon Trail died of dysentery ;).

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had food poisoning. My sister and brother-in-law both got food poisoning from the leftover fried rice from their rehearsal dinner that had been left out too long. It happened a few days after the wedding so the wedding itself wasn't affected.

phillip dale

adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I had food poisoning about 20 years ago from a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. For about 3 days, my stomach felt like it had a knife scraping around in there. Haven't been able to eat any kind of mushrooms since then.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Years ago I went out to lunch with my co-workers and got food poisoning from a restaurant's hot buffet. My co-workers told me the food may have not been cooked at the proper temp. or heated and re-heated. :dunno: I wrote a letter to the city's Dept. of Health as well as the restaurant since I was retching. :barf:
You did the right thing in reporting them. The food either was not cooked to the right temp, and/or was not being held at the right temp consistently. (I'm a licensed food service manager, BTW, and am qualified to oversee a professional kitchen to ensure that this stuff DOESN'T happen :))

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, I see a few McDonald's stories here. :eek2: Glad I don't eat there.

I had it once about ten years ago from leftover coleslaw that my mom assured me was 'fresh.' :rolleyes2: Most horrible experience ever. :thud:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got food poisoning some years ago from eating a carrots and dip package I bought at FIFA Women's World Cup match in the stadium shopping area.

I didn't want to wait in a long line for expensive hotdogs or fries during half time, so I was content just quickly grabbing that at a veggie food booth to tie me over. It was pretty tasty and fine as I watched the rest of the game.

Until I got home and suuffffffeeeeerrreed!

I think it goes without saying that buying carrots and dip at a very crowded event like that during the summer was not smart.

I've had food poisoning before so it wasn't just that one time (Once because of soup, another because of salad etc) so I've become so much more diligent about these things. Ah, my delicate disposition :lol: