Question Of The Day - Thursday 30 Nov

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like everything, meat vegetables, fruit, etc. But I can easily make a meal off vegetables and not feel deprived.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Vegetarians also eat cheese, milk and eggs. However, vegans do not. As a vegetarian I personally try to avoid dairy but that's a personal choice.

lacto-ovo vegetarian: eats no meat, but will eat dairy products (milk, butter, cheese) and eggs. ovo-vegetarian: eats eggs, but no meat or dairy products.
Oh, okay thanks for bringing that up. I know I've heard of it before but I guess I accidentally clumped vegans and vegetarians together! Oops.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm a vegetarian. My whole family are vegetarian so I've been one since (before) I was born. I'm not a vegan, but I'm not too keen on dairy products so I go for soy milk rather than cow juice.

I live with one very enthusiastic carnivorous husband who will eat anything, the weirder the better, and 22 cats who like to crunch up mice in front of me.

:cringe:
Interesting that your whole family is vegetarian.

I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. I use almond milk instead of cow milk. I do eat cheeses and eggs sometimes. It's nice that there are more vegetarian/vegan options in the stores now. I buy vegan mayo and cheeses with vegetarian rennet.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milk, cheese and eggs are considered part of some vegetarian diets although one could say they are animal by-products. Some vegetarians eliminate dairy from their diet and substitute almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, rice milk. etc. Legumes and nuts are included in both vegetarian and vegan diets.
Also, some vegans will not eat sugar because they use bone char to process it. I was vegan for 12 years and it was very difficult for me because I have a real sweet tooth and I would not use sugar.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
There are sugar substitutes, like agave nectar. I think most vegans accept that. Honey would be verboten because it's a bee by-product.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omnivore/Non-Vegetarian. Quite content with it!

I actually was a vegetarian for five years some time ago. I stopped wanting to be one (Health reasons and didn't like the vegetarian community at the time) and thus transferred my status.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
It's made from the same plant, yes.