Question Of The Day - Thursday 29 August

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

How often do you go grocery shopping ? Monthly, weekly, daily etc

I do a big shop about once a month then get little top ups like milk, bread etc maybe once a week. :D

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weekly, preferably Saturday morning as early as possible. I work fulltime and commute to NYC, so the only time I'm able to shop is on weekends.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is just me I shop whenever I run low on basics or can’t figure out what to have for dinner. Probably averages once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
At least 2 times a week. I eat a lot of food. I have no idea why. I never gain any weight, but my body is constantly hungry.

Anyway, between me, my parents, and the animals, at least 2 times a week, most times more.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weekly, usually on Sunday after church. Occasionally I have to stop another time for stuff I couldn't find, but on average, once a week is it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

How often do you go grocery shopping ? Monthly, weekly, daily etc

I do a big shop about once a month then get little top ups like milk, bread etc maybe once a week. :D
Monthly or every 5-6 weeks. Physically go to bricks and mortar store. Once or twice yearly I do an online shop.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to the city every other week, usually Saturdays. I might grab something in between at the local store if I found a new recipe or forgot something, but I try to plan well enough so that's not necessary.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a week I make the 45 minute trip to do my shopping. I'd be fine with every 2 weeks, or even just once a month for my own food, but the food I feed my Cats is refrigerated and Meijer only carries enough of the flavor my Cats like for a week at a time.

At least 2 times a week. I eat a lot of food. I have no idea why. I never gain any weight, but my body is constantly hungry.

Anyway, between me, my parents, and the animals, at least 2 times a week, most times more.
Quite possibly due to a high metabolism, I have the same "problem". Thankfully I live alone so I only have to worry about feeding myself and my Cats.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is going to sound sexist, but my wife does all the grocery shopping.

She is an avid couponer (clipping and printing online coupons) and studies all the sales flyers that we receive in the mail and in the newspaper. She shops at 6 different local grocery stores looking for the best products and best buys. She visits at least one of the stores 3 or 4 days a week. She does a great job. I'm really glad she likes doing this, since I am a terrible grocery shopper.

The joke in our family has always been that if Mom comes home with some food you really like (something like Chips Ahoy cookies), it's because it was on sale and she had a coupon.:yummy:

She has been an inspiration to both of our daughters. They are smart shoppers and are coupon clippers.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a week I make the 45 minute trip to do my shopping. I'd be fine with every 2 weeks, or even just once a month for my own food, but the food I feed my Cats is refrigerated and Meijer only carries enough of the flavor my Cats like for a week at a time.

Quite possibly due to a high metabolism, I have the same "problem". Thankfully I live alone so I only have to worry about feeding myself and my Cats.
Me, too, on the frequency, metabolism, and food feasting, Talien Talien !
Have you ever tried getting your cats' supplies delivered to your door? We use petco.com - a lot of people like chewy.com, and there are others, I'm sure. It's SO convenient not having to lug the 30# litter buckets any more! and to know that my cats' food is coming right on time when I arrange it. It can be changed at any time, too.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually pick up odds and ends as I need them so it's whenever I go into town, maybe 3 times a week.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twice a week on average, sometimes I'll make an extra trip if I want something special, but Safeway & WallyWorld are only a mile away, so no worries. In fact, as soon as I leave the library I'm gonna go buy more beer for the weekend, plus the usual canned kitty food. My bag of dry kitty food is getting low, but I reckon there's enough to last into next week... so no prison riot this weekend, LOL. :eek:

Oh, yeah, as an aside, I always buy value packs of meat, paper towels, bath tissue, etc., that's one way to save money. VinceL, there's nothing wrong with clipping coupons and taking advantage of sales, it's better than wasting money, yeah? Even though I'm a bachelor, I often cook in quantity, since I like leftovers straight from the fridge, no additional cooking necessary, just quick reheating. :yess:

Not that I don't like cooking... I actually enjoy it, same way I enjoy making fresh salads, fruit smoothies in the blender, etc. But I like my salads & smoothies fresh, so I shop for those ingredients more frequently... I won't be eating the paper towels or bath tissue, so the big package works, LOL. When it comes to meat, I go with the best value, sometimes it's steak, sometimes it's yardbird, LOL. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the food I feed my Cats is refrigerated and Meijer only carries enough of the flavor my Cats like for a week at a time.
Sometimes if you call ahead to tell them when you'll be there and how much you want, they'll special order more and set it aside for you, especially if it's a regular thing.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a week on either Saturday or Sunday, depending on how I feel or what else is going on that weekend.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too, on the frequency, metabolism, and food feasting, Talien Talien !
Have you ever tried getting your cats' supplies delivered to your door? We use petco.com - a lot of people like chewy.com, and there are others, I'm sure. It's SO convenient not having to lug the 30# litter buckets any more! and to know that my cats' food is coming right on time when I arrange it. It can be changed at any time, too.
The food I'm currently using (Freshpet) is only available from retailers, they don't have any provisions for online ordering. If I could get it from Chewy I would, I hate driving.

Sometimes if you call ahead to tell them when you'll be there and how much you want, they'll special order more and set it aside for you, especially if it's a regular thing.
I actually tried that but the manager said it would be a corporate decision and it could take weeks to even make a decision. I tried asking at the pet store across the street but that variety isn't something they normally carry, the guy I talked to said he'd look into the possibility of a special order and let me know.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sidewinder Sidewinder Hey, nothin' wrong with yardbird and if you don't want it, you KNOW the meowers will :insertevillaugh::cutecat::kneading:
Talien Talien Hope you get some kind of deal worked out there. I've definitely found my bargaining voice and gotten a LOT of good deals because of it. A lot of vendors really enjoy that, as do I, and to clench a good business deal is very satisfying.