Question Of The Day - Thursday 28 June

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave2:

Do you have any allergies ? :cool2:

I luckily never have had any allergies, that I know of anyway ;)

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully no. When my brother was a kid, he had horrendous hay fever and his eyes regularly swelled up and almost closed, along with the sniffles etc. He was allergic to cats until recently but both maladies have receded now. He's had several rescue cats since.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm coeliac, so definitely allergic to gluten ;)

Other than that, I do have allergic rhinitis year round, but we haven't been able to pin down the trigger(s).

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two separate anticonvulsant medicines and
Iodine-based contrast dye used for imaging like CAT scans

I stay clear of these, they are in my medical record and I stay healthy.:)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As odd as this sounds, I'm allergic to sudden changes in ambient temperatures, especially cold air. If I come inside on a hot day to air conditioning, I will start sneezing, my eyes water, and my nose runs. I'm so sensitive to this that sometimes a cool breeze passing over my arms will trigger it. I have to take Claritin-D to make it stop. Claritin-D has pseudoephedrine in it, which people make meth with, so I sign my life away to get it.

I'm also allergic to bee stings and get terrible hives. I take Benadryl for that. Thank goodness I only get a local reaction, not a general one where you have to carry an Epipen.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amoxicillin, which means I can't have penicillin either.

Oddly enough, I can eat blue cheese with no issues :dunno:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that half the people who think they're allergic to antibiotics aren't actually allergic; they were identified as allergic due to side effects such as diarrhea and rashes. . .but those are recognized side effects of anitbiotics! So it might be worth being retested.

I have "allergies" but I haven't had a test done to determine exactly what the triggers are. I take a Zyrtec every night before bed and that's good enough :D. No other recognized allergies.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that half the people who think they're allergic to antibiotics aren't actually allergic; they were identified as allergic due to side effects such as diarrhea and rashes. . .but those are recognized side effects of anitbiotics! So it might be worth being retested.

I have "allergies" but I haven't had a test done to determine exactly what the triggers are. I take a Zyrtec every night before bed and that's good enough :D. No other recognized allergies.
I developed hives after being given amoxicillin, and the doctor told my parents the next reaction could possibly be fatal. Penicillin is out because it's too closely related.

I'm just not willing to take the risk, you know?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Lots of environmental ones..... cats, dogs, ragweed, dust mites, grasses, etc.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been officially tested for it, but I have trouble breathing and feel miserable around deet bugsprays, so don't use them and ask people not to spray them too close to me.

I had an allergic reaction to the tights I was wearing once. That was weird.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any officially diagnosed allergies, but I might as well be allergic to many foods thanks to IBS. I can't have lactose, onion, or garlic any more, among many other ingredients.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few common allergies. Then there are some strange ones, like bleach. Who the heck is allergic to bleach?
Also, not an "official" allergy, but if I eat cloves, sage, or fish I get VIOLENTLY ill.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My big ones are Amoxicillin, dust mites, ragweed, and rain (specifically the mold that comes up when it rains). I also have mild allergies to trees, dogs, and a bunch of other things I don't remember. AND I have Celiac or a wheat/gluten sensitivity/intolerance. My Dr said it wasn't worth the testing since the only solution is a gluten free diet, which is what I was already doing before I went in.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seasonal allergies and I'm on some level allergic to foods. What I mean by that is that I'll go months without any problems and then suddenly, will eat something that will make my nose so itchy and inflamed. I break out in a small rash and then the next day, it's fine. I've yet to get tested because my mother has a list of food allergies that's like 45 foods long. I'm a little terrified of being told I can't eat real food again. :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neosporin, topical iodine (contrast dyes for X-rays, iodine on wounds, and similar, but not iodized salt), and anything made by L'Oreal (:dunno:). And aspirin gives me tinnitus - not technically an allergy, but I don't take it.

Margret