Question Of The Day - Thursday 27 December

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Are you fast or slow at typing on a keyboard ? :hellocomputer:

I would say I’m quite slow-ish. I can only type with one hand & I have to look at the keyboard for the letters. I’m much faster using the keypad on my phone or iPad though :crazy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fast but not professional. I was never "taught" to type; I just picked it up by posting on forums ;). I look at the keyboard, not the screen, which I guess is frowned upon in proper typing classes. I haven't done any words-per-minute tests but people have commented on how fast I type. I really should do one of those tests, I suppose.

Although now most of my typing is done on a little phone screen with my thumbs :D.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am slow and I make a lot of mistakes that I have to go back and type over. When I first started typing I could type 40 words per minuet but now I am much slower.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty fast and accurate. The only thing that slows me down is the numbers, but I've improved.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Typing something I have to look at I am in the 55-60 range. If I am typing something from memory/free form, playing video games or doing 10 key it's in the 80-90 range. I think I've gotten in the 100 range when really going, I have written a 140 page document in 72 hours at my best and 100 pages in the same time period at my worst (including sleeping breaks).

Technically, I am considered "fluent" but not "fast" on typing tests.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be very fast. But I no longer am. I can type around 40wmp right now. I also used to do 200 strokes per minute with no errors on a 10 key, but I'd be lucky to do 50 now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say I'm pretty fast, I've been typing for many years. :biggrin:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At one time I was fast, 70 to 75 WPM but not anymore. I do not type that much anymore. The last time I timed myself I only did 50 WPM and that was a few years ago.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did a few fun typing tests to see how bad I've gotten. I don't type nearly as much as I used to so I'm certainly not as good as I was a few years ago. On tests with relatively simple words I can do 65 words per minute, and on tests with larger words/names, punctuation, capitalization, etc. I'm down to 55. I feel like I type a bit faster when I'm not having to read something though. Maybe 70-75.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked some years ago, I was in the 65-70 wpm range. I don't have any idea what it is now, but I'm slower and I stumble a lot more. I've never learned the number pad because I learned touch typing on a manual typewriter, and they didn't have number pads.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Slow, unless I don't use punctuation and caps which as many of you are aware don't exist in my world...lol

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say I'm a high-average in speed. I usually average about 65 words per minute. I took a keyboarding class in 7th grade that was probably the most useful class I have ever taken even though I didn't like it. Now that I'm a writer, it is very helpful to be able to write nearly as fast as my ideas come to me.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Fast on a keyboard. My father insisted I take typing in high school. He had to call the school to get me in the class because college-bound students weren’t supposed to need to know how to type. Smart man. Stupid school.

I’m not fast on my iPhone or iPad. I still miss the raised keyboard on the Blackberry!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really fast, although not quite as good as I was years ago since I don't need to type documents as much for my job as I did in the past. I used to be able to do well over 100 words a minute with no if little errors. I'm out of practice now since I work mostly with numbers/spreadsheets now.

On the other hand I never got the hang of typing on the phone to text. It still takes me forever and I do it only with one hand, and one finger lol. I watch other people fly over their keyboards and I'm amazed.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say fairly fast and mostly accurate. I have some problems with numbers, too, from time to time.

One morning, I was talking to a co-worker and writing a letter at the same time. He was standing in my doorway and I was looking at him while typing. He finally looked at me and said, "You know, you suck little green worms!". He couldn't get over that I was looking at him, typing, and talking.

I guess I can walk and chew gum at the same time!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by typing standards, i'm slow as molasses! :lol: but i know the keyboard, and type at what i consider 'a good clip'. i always read through my posts, checking for errors, before posting them. and i type using one finger.

i did take one semester of typing, many years ago. never got very good, but did make a good effort at it!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I got to be very fast and accurate in my work as a legal secretary and then as a medical transcriptionist.

I'm still faster than most people, I suppose, but I do have some arthritis in my hands now that's slowed me down a bit. :ohwell: But since I don't need to do it for work anymore, it doesn't matter. :)

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am fairly fast on a computer keyboard. Back in the day I could do a about 65 -70 on straight typing. Now I mostly do data entry where I click, scroll, then type a few words. On my phone or laptop I hunt and peck. I have gotten faster but I can't keep up with young folks.