Question Of The Day - Thursday 26 July

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

A bit of an interesting question today......

Do you know what your grandparents first names were/are ? :)

My grandparents names
On my mothers side - Edith & Orlando
On my fathers side - Yvonne & James

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my mother's side - Simone and Oscar
On my father's side - Marguerite and Maurice

My second name is Oscar and my third Marguerite

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In no particular order - Eureka, Eunice, Marcella and Jack.

Yes, Eureka. Over six and a half feet tall male, amature boxer, firefighter, survivalist trainer and rescue helicopter pilot for the Navy in Vietnam. No, he wasn't from California where it is the state motto. No, he didn't go by his middle name which was Laverne because it wasn't much better. Both my grandfathers died when my parents were teenagers so I never met him.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dorothy and William Jordan - maternal
Marie and Francis Marion - paternal

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would somebody not know what their grandparents names are? Nancy& Edward "Smoke" , Samuel and Margaret "Patty"
Edit to add: I was named after my grandmother named Margaret though they called her Pat. Meg is a nickname for Margaret and that's where they got Megan.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why would somebody not know what their grandparents names are? Nancy& Edward "Smoke" , Samuel and Margaret "Patty"
My Dad knows nothing about his paternal line. My grandfather left his family before he turned 18 and never looked back. According to our family history he just showed up one day, fell in love and married my grandmother and that was that. He refused to talk about his childhood and never even told where he was from to my grandmother's brother who wrote the history. There is a huge age gap so my grandmother was 20 years older then her brother, he more idolized my grandfather at that point and didnt think to question his background more until it was too late. My grandmother had early onset alheizmers so anything she knew was lost.

My grandfather died when my Dad was 11 years old after a long hospitalization and my Dad's only memories of him are in a hospital (my dad and his younger brother are eighteen years younger then his two older siblings so his dad was in his 40s when my Dad was born). My Dad never asked his mom because she didn't like talking about him plus his brother was a handful (early mental problems that turned into paranoid schizophrenia, hes been in a group home since he turned 18) so she had very little time for my Dad growing up.

Last edited:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad knows nothing about his paternal line. My grandfather left his family before he turned 18 and never looked back. According to our family history he just showed up one day, fell in love and married my grandmother and that was that. He refused to talk about his childhood and never even told where he was from to my grandmother's brother who wrote the history. There is a huge age gap so my grandmother was 20 years older then her brother, he more idolized my grandfather and didnt think to question his background more until it was too late. My grandmother had early onset alheizmers so anything she knew was lost.

My grandfather died when my Dad was 11 years old after a long hospitalization and my Dad's only memories of him are in a hospital (my dad and his younger brother are eighteen years younger then his two older siblings so his dad was in his 40s when my Dad was born). My Dad never asked his mom because she didn't like talking about him plus his brother was a handful (early mental problems that turned into paranoid schizophrenia, hes been in a group home since he turned 18) so she had very little time for my Dad growing up.
But you still know their names. Unless somebody never had any connection with one of their parents, I would think you would still know at least a name.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But you still know their names. Unless somebody never had any connection with one of their parents, I would think you would still know at least a name.
Nope.

My grandfather didn't share anything about his family. We know his name, but Jack is fairly common. Last name not as much but there are a few hundred in the right age bracket. We don't know where he was from. He never told my Dad his parents names, if he had siblings, his hometown or birth location, nothing.

My Dad only knows his mother's family. His Uncle has written a very literal book (it's 400 pages printed) on our family history. With at least two pages on anyone who married in. My grandfathers page basically says no one knows anything about him other then he was a loving father and husband. My Dads Uncle spent five years researching and couldn't find anything. He's not even sure the name we knew him by was his birth name or if he changed it for some reason.

Last edited:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Paternal: Linda and Arnold
Maternal: Franz and Edwina. My mom's stepmom's name is Edelgard.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My maternal grandparents were Fern and Warren, paternal grandparents were Vernon and Elizabeth (Betty).

I don't know all of my great-grandparents' names though. I probably could find my maternal side but my dad's side is more mysterious.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Paternal: Concetta (Connie), Boleslaw (Changed to Bernard when he moved from Poland)

Maternal: Mary, Augustine

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Maternal--Douglas and Kristine
Paternal--I've got the information in a family tree somewhere but I don't know offhand. They both died when my dad was young, and he had very little to do with his family after that. Come to think of it, I have no idea what my paternal grandparents even looked like. I'll have to find out if there's a photo of them around somewhere.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moms: grandma Geneva and grandpa Robert.
Dad’s: grandma Nan and grandpa Norman.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Maternal: Agnes and Otis
Paternal: Stella and Alva

All born in central Illinois farm country in the late 1800s. I remember all of them.

Okay, that makes me feel very old. :sigh: