Question of the day - Thursday 21 April

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicago has a HUGE Polish population. There are more Polish people in Chicago than there are in Warsaw. And that particular college was pretty much in the heart of the Polish area of the city.
I am so envious! I would really like to live in or very near a large Polish Community. There is one in Dorchester, MA--but I would have to go through the city of Boston to get to it. Dorchester is a mixture of cultures. There used to be a huge one in the next city. That is where my dad grew up. Sadly, that is all gone. 

For me to get to a real, good Polish Store, I either have to drive or take the trains, with multiple line change, into Dorchester or drive an hour north. Sad... 

Wishing for some real good Polish food right now.. real kielbasa, pierogi, babka, chruschiki, etc.....

kind of hard to justify driving an hour for just one or two items.. it is just me...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so envious! I would really like to live in or very near a large Polish Community. There is one in Dorchester, MA--but I would have to go through the city of Boston to get to it. Dorchester is a mixture of cultures. There used to be a huge one in the next city. That is where my dad grew up. Sadly, that is all gone. 

For me to get to a real, good Polish Store, I either have to drive or take the trains, with multiple line change, into Dorchester or drive an hour north. Sad... 
Wishing for some real good Polish food right now.. real kielbasa, pierogi, babka, chruschiki, etc.....
kind of hard to justify driving an hour for just one or two items.. it is just me...
I'm contemplating an hour-long drive to go get Lithuanian food today :lol3:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm contemplating an hour-long drive to go get Lithuanian food today

so funny.. I get stiff from driving long distances~~ the joys of getting old!!

Seriously, Since Easter, I have been thinking of taking a ride up there. I could ask my cousin to come with me, to keep me company; but he drives me crazy.. really crazy...I need a drink after I have a telephone conversation with him. He is the only one who I know would be interested in driving an hour for some Polish food. So calorie laden, but so good!

Take care of yourself. Seeing an Aura is very worrying.. stress and lack of sleep... you need to rest! 
  or else!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol3:   :lol3:   so funny.. I get stiff from driving long distances~~ the joys of getting old!!

Seriously, Since Easter, I have been thinking of taking a ride up there. I could ask my cousin to come with me, to keep me company; but he drives me crazy.. really crazy...I need a drink after I have a telephone conversation with him. He is the only one who I know would be interested in driving an hour for some Polish food. So calorie laden, but so good!

Take care of yourself. Seeing an Aura is very worrying.. stress and lack of sleep... you need to rest! :bat:   or else!
Trying to think if I should go now, since Mom decided she's not up to having any. But I want some!!! Ah well, will have to think on it - but not for too long. There's the part of me that is not up to the drive now too. I feel so lazy sometimes!

My aura was the "pre-seizure" type. Technically an absence seizure in its own right. Deja vu type feeling and the world seemed to slow down a bit. It's very weird feeling, I've never been able to describe it accurately because there just are no words it seems.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The job I had before this one had two women from Poland working there, one worked with me and the job I have now there used to be a woman from Poland working there.  The woman at the job that I work at now had a lot of family in Chicago.  One thing I have noticed is that people from Poland have a very distinctive accent.  I remember at the job I work at now after a couple of days I finally asked the woman if she was from Poland.  I told her I asked because of the distinctive accent.  I was kind of afraid to ask because I was new, didn't know people and they didn't know me and I was afraid of being taken the wrong way.  It was okay though.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot whistle, either!

Also, I have a very difficult time pronouncing the name, Sheila...
sorry all Sheilas out there!!!
It never comes out right....was terribly embarrassing when I had to work with a woman named Sheila!!!
How does it come out?