Question Of The Day - Thursday 19 April

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has always done accounts payable/receivable for companies (Nabisco, Benjamin Moore, Cardinal Health).

My dad owned his own auto repair business since 1961. Retired in 2004 when we moved to NC. That's how I got into working on cars when I was 10, spent summers from 10-17 working at the shop with him, and also learned to do his books on weekends when needed.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother is a civil servant working in marketing for the British government. I don't know my father at all so I'm unaware of what he does.

My grandmother worked in the fishmongers at the local supermarket and my grandfather worked for the phone company BT.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was in the merchant marines as a chief engineer. He had only a sixth grade education but taught himself everything he needed to know to pass the qualifying tests. He was in supply convoys during WW II, and in peacetime he was usually gone from three to nine months at a time. I really didn't know him. He died when I was ten.

My mother stayed at home with me. However, when I became an adult and went to work at the Postal Service, both she and my husband followed three months later. She worked there for 14 years and retired in a snit over something minor. She could do it because she was of retirement age. I think she always regretted it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was in the merchant marines. . .when I became an adult and went to work at the Postal Service, both she and my husband followed three months later. She worked there for 14 years and retired in a snit over something minor.
LOL this is weird. Similarities!

My dad joined the US Merchant Marine as soon as he was able (I think 18 but it's hard to pin him down about that period in his life). He joined the US Navy a few years later. He was a Machinist's Mate, specializing in diesel steam engines (which don't exist in the Navy anymore). He served 20 years, during which time we lived in California and Japan. He was gone most of my childhood, out at sea. But that was normal on the base so I never felt like that was weird. He retired and we moved back to the US, and he became a substitute rural mail carrier, then a regular rural carrier when a position opened up. He's still doing that.

My mom worked as a waitress at Pizza Hut when she was in college, then after they got married she was a SAHM and homeschooled us (mostly. I did attend 2 years of public school). While we were in Japan she taught a little English for pocket money. After we moved back to the US, she became a substitute rural mail carrier, and then a regular carrier when a position opened up (she did it first, and got my dad in too). Here's the funny part---she just last week retired in a snit because of something minor :D. Well, I won't say it's that minor but if she were not retirement age she would have tolerated it. She's been meaning to retire for a few years anyway; this is just the final straw that got her out. I don't think she'll regret it. She liked her work but physically it was starting to be too much.

It's funny how Postal work tends to run in families.