Question of the day - Thursday 18 June

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up in a London suburb, we bought fruit fresh everyday. The greengrocer (a word most of you have probably never heard of) would receive a delivery of fruit and vegetables early every morning direct from Covent Garden. Only seasonal produce or products which kept well in storage were available. Prices varied according to the harvest - it was lovely when summer fruit was cheap but when prices were high we went without. As children we were sent shopping after school with a list. It always included a pound of eating apples, 2 or 3 bananas and 2 large Jaffa oranges. This was all cut up and served in the evening when we were doing our school homework. Seasonal fruit such as strawberries was usually served for dessert. Everything tasted good! We rarely had a dry, tasteless satsuma, or an overripe banana. However, we often found creepy crawlies - particularly in raspberries, plums and cherries - on our plates :popworm: . Over-ripe, squashy tomatoes were always sold separately and cheaply for cooking.

Today fruit is free of worms and insects. It looks good and fresh and has a long shelf life The price is fairly stable throughout the year. But it doesn't always taste nice. So I can't say I have a favourite. I eat bananas (for magnesium) even though they often taste like cardboard. At the moment green, seedless grapes are good, strawberries look lovely but be careful. A beautiful birthday sponge cake my daughter made had to be thrown away because, when we wanted to eat it, the strawberries had "turned". They still looked fresh and wholesome but tasted dreadful! 🍓

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up in a London suburb, we bought fruit fresh everyday. The greengrocer (a word most of you have probably never heard of) would receive a delivery of fruit and vegetables early every morning direct from Covent Garden. Only seasonal produce or products which kept well in storage were available. Prices varied according to the harvest - it was lovely when summer fruit was cheap but when prices were high we went without. As children we were sent shopping after school with a list. It always included a pound of eating apples, 2 or 3 bananas and 2 large Jaffa oranges. This was all cut up and served in the evening when we were doing our school homework. Seasonal fruit such as strawberries was usually served for dessert. Everything tasted good! We rarely had a dry, tasteless satsuma, or an overripe banana. However, we often found creepy crawlies - particularly in raspberries, plums and cherries - on our plates :popworm: . Over-ripe, squashy tomatoes were always sold separately and cheaply for cooking.

Today fruit is free of worms and insects. It looks good and fresh and has a long shelf life The price is fairly stable throughout the year. But it doesn't always taste nice. So I can't say I have a favourite. I eat bananas (for magnesium) even though they often taste like cardboard. At the moment green, seedless grapes are good, strawberries look lovely but be careful. A beautiful birthday sponge cake my daughter made had to be thrown away because, when we wanted to eat it, the strawberries had "turned". They still looked fresh and wholesome but tasted dreadful! 🍓

Growing up here in Minnesota we bought most of our fruit from roadside fruit stands. If we ever passed one on a drive it was always an immediate stop to check out and buy. They always had a wide selection of fresh fruits and like your market, it tasted a hundred times better than that bought at grocery stores.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't just pick one favorite. I think raspberries and pears are my top choices, but there are several more.
Bananas and apples are on my least favorite list.
When it comes to fruit, it also depends on if it's raw or used in baking...Some I like the flavor but not the texture. Some are hard for me to digest raw, but are yummy cooked....so it all depends for me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's so hard for me to choose a favorite, berries are a must especially blueberries.
I would probably eat most fruits but like some a little less than others, e.g. pineapple or pomegranate.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Favorite during the colder months: A good, crisp Granny Smith apple
Favorite during the summer: Nectarines and peaches. I dearly love nectarines.
Least favorite: Gee, I don't think I have one!